Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to drive a good ways to pick up an engine this weekend, and I'm hoping to take the RS. Is it possible to fit an EJ25 in the trunk? I tend to think not, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone has done it, considering me it'll cost nearly twice as much to drive the truck down. So, anyone?

·
Premium Member
98 swapped 2.5rs Rbp and CF
552 Posts
I would use the truck especially because of all the mystery fluids that will leak out during transport. Besides if it is a full long block its heavy and would be a pita to get it in the trunk let alone out. Besides gas has been getting a little cheaper;)

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
A full long block out of a RS, can't weigh anymore then 100 or so lbs. It will fit fine in the trunk. Just lays some boxes down with a couple sheets or blankets that you have laying around and you should be good to go.

The 2.5 honestly isn't heavy at all. I would also make sure to plug the tstat housing aswell. Just to make sure coolant doesn't end up in your trunk.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
You are totally nuts a full llong block weighs close to 300 lbs. the block alone weighs 120ish.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
No way, 150lbs at the most....

Cast Iron chevy 350's are in the 300lb range. And our motors are all alluminum.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
The block weighs 120 pounds. Each head weighs in at approx 60 pounds. The intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc all together = about 300

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
we are no talking about just the block this is the whole engine assembly. I just shipped my heads to Delta cams two weeks ago and they were about 70lbs a piece in the carboard boxes and foam and bubble wrap. So lets say 60 each and that is = to 120 lbs just the heads.

·
Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
565 Posts
I picked up a dry '96 EJ22e out of the back of my wagon and set it on the ground myself this last weekend. it's heavy......but still doable. with the fluids drained, no way is it more than 150.....probably not more than 100. still had the PS pump, but alt and AC comp were removed.

2 guys can move one very easily. each guy grab a head, and pick 'er on up. heck, my girlfriend and I moved that same EJ22e from one car to another.

60 lbs per head?! maybe DOHC, but even that I don't believe. the SOHC 22t ones I have couldn't be more than 40, but I'd guess 30.

and yes, it'll fit in the trunk of a GC. pull the spare tire out, and you'll have oodles of room. MIGHT have to pull the intake manifold and accessories off.....so have a few tools handy.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
The block weighs 120 pounds. Each head weighs in at approx 60 pounds. The intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc all together = about 300
lol what?

The block weighs maybe 80lbs, tops. I can lift it myself without much trouble, and I'm 6'3 180lbs.

The heads weigh 40lbs each tops. I can pick one up one handed.

Me and my friend, who is 160lbs, carried my long block (minus exhaust manifold and flywheel) out of my basement, across my yard and onto my engine hoist.

There is no way in hell we could have done that with something that weighed 240lbs.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
LOL hahahaha well check the other threads I have found on NASIOC. I just sent my heads to DELTA and they were DOHC but that is what the scale said. Now last I checked 80+40+40+intake and exhaust manifolds +ac+power steering+ everything else is more than 100 lbs. Also splinter I don't know how you weigh things up north but you are def wrong about the block. A stock flywheel is close to 25 lbs + almost 20 for exhaust manifold so if you subtract 45 lbs of an engine there is a decent difference there.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Wish I had a scale, I'd put it on it right now...

A flywheel is not part of the block, neither is the exhaust manifold.

I have, twice, lifted a longblock off a tire onto an engine stand. There is no way on this planet I could lift 240lbs like that. Not a chance.

Dual overhead cam, closed deck 2 liter. They dont get much heavier than that.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Just use a bathroom scale pick it up and stand on the scale, record the weight. then set it down and get on the scale record the weight. Then subtract your weight from the initial weight then viola you will have a herniated disc and the weight of the engine. Now on a serious note the subaru engines with everything on them are pretty heavy. They are def not 100 lbs. The engines with all extras will weigh in at well over 200 lbs. Now I included the exhaust manifold, clutch and flywheel and it was close to 300 lbs. Now I have picked up a few of these engines and I will just say this to the OP if you have access to a truck use it. Yeah the shit may fit but then you can damage the bumper, trunk, carpet, paint, engine, and also you may have to sit there for an hour removing shit to get the engine to fit, then fight with it to remove it. Just use the truck and one or two friends. Set it on a tire and strap it in the bed. Much easier and you can hose it out when you are finished.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
My opinion? Take some tools, remove the heads, and put it all in your trunk in boxes.

You should be changing your headgaskets and doing all the seals before you install it anyway.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I have carried 3 shortblocks in my trunk at one time. A full motor is a tight fit because of the manifold, but taking the spare tire out is the best way to go.

If you have coilovers or other type of suspension on the car, think twice about carrying the motor....it's alot of weight that can and has resulted in popped seals on the struts.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, a lot more information showed up overnight than I expected. I'm not really worried about the weight, I've moved a KA24E before with one other guy, and that's all cast iron. I figure this can't weigh too much more. So, I'll pull the spare tire and put down some plywood and stuff to protect the trunk and call it good. The shocks in the back are pretty much done anyway, so who cares about blowing them. I would take the truck for ease of use but 600mi in a 15mpg truck is not fun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
well I just moved a full ej25 block from my house to my dads house (a 80mile drive) in the back of my girlfriends 97 impreza L, and it was fine. I know the block itself weighs approx 90lbs (as i had one shipped before and thats what UPS weighed it at), so plus the heads, 30-40lbs more .... not much over what the average person weighs really.
now if u were moving a Chevy 350 or ford 351w, i would say your nuts - use a truck for those lol probably would need an engine hoist to get them in and out as well. but these little 4cylinders are light enough it shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, that was kind of a tight fit. To get the thing in required removing the AC compressor and the alternator (as well as the trunk lid to clear the hoist), however the flywheel and clutch were still there, so that took up some extra room. Definitely a good thing that I had a hoist availble, since it was a bit heavier than I was expecting. It's done though, just need to get it out of the trunk when I get home from work. So, for anyone else trying this, it's hard to fit with all AC/Alternator/Flywheel, but it's easy to remove those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts