Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so one of my idler pulleys seized causing 2 of my cam gears and my timing belt to break. I knew there was a good chance I had bent valves but I did not feel like taking the heads off yesterday. I went ahead and replaced the belt, pulley and cam gears fired the car up and it runs but not well, the check engine light is on and it ticks real bad. The compression and leak down both show bad results. So instad of taking the heads off I am probly just going to replace the motor with a junk yard one I think it will be cheaper. What motor will work for me besides the ej25 it came with? I am not interested in doing a wrx swap or anything, will a L motor work? is that a 2.2? If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
Thanks
Oh yeah the car is a 98 2.5rs so it has the dohc motor

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
unless you do some wiring modification you're stuck with the 2.5, from what I understand you can get a 2.5 long block out of an outback or a forester, you just reuse your intake manifold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unless you do some wiring modification you're stuck with the 2.5, from what I understand you can get a 2.5 long block out of an outback or a forester, you just reuse your intake manifold.
Thanks do you know what years? And will my ecu still work with it?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
I was told 97-98 outbacks and 98-99 Foresters are DOHC

but it has to be an early production 99 or else its SOHC

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
you can use a SOHC too, but you'd have to use your wiring harness off of the manifold and the newer phase 2 manifold (but everything plugs right in)

Subarus are like leggos, you can put pretty much anything into anything relatively easily.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Havent heard of that one, I was told the wiring/sensors were too kinky to do so and it requires the matching ecu for that motor.

If he can use it then I have a 2000 RS motor w/80k on it

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
I just went through that. The bearings in my Idler gear feel apart. With buying some core heads and having them rebuilt, along with gaskets and replacing everthing else it was about 1200 in parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went through that. The bearings in my Idler gear feel apart. With buying some core heads and having them rebuilt, along with gaskets and replacing everthing else it was about 1200 in parts.
Yeah the bearings in mine were shot!! $1200 is alot just for parts thanks for the info

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can use a SOHC too, but you'd have to use your wiring harness off of the manifold and the newer phase 2 manifold (but everything plugs right in)

Subarus are like leggos, you can put pretty much anything into anything relatively easily.
So if I were to buy letz's motor it would work? you are talking about the intake manifold right? I could not use my intake manifold? is the harness alot different?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
I could check I have both a 98 Ej25D (Spun rod) and a 2000 EJ251,

I was asking 650 for the motor ready to go, has everything on it still even has ac and PS lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could check I have both a 98 Ej25D (Spun rod) and a 2000 EJ251,

I was asking 650 for the motor ready to go, has everything on it still even has ac and PS lines.
So how many miles on the ej251? and whats a ej25d?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
EJ25D is the DOHC 1998 2.5RS motor. EJ251 is the 99-01 2.5RS Motor (although the 99 is MAF based and the 00-01 is map based)

the Ej251 has 80k on it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts