Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 99 2.5rs and motor just blew (rod blew a hole through short block) in two weeks the car will be running w/ an outback motor (47,000 miles) and I've been thinking about piecing together a turbo setup. I've searched and read through this:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52607&highlight=wrx

and I was wondering if anyone had tips for me to piece together a kit that would be as cheap as possible. I'm only trying to run like 5 psi just for extra fun (would that produce 200whp?) I'm also in college, so the cheaper the better. I dont mind searching/waiting for deals on parts, but I just need to know what exactly I would need. Searching through the forums has only really confused me more. Some people say to change out the internals of my block for lower compression but I'm not sure if I'd have to if I only wanted to run 5 psi.

If anyone would be so kind as to list everything I would need for the setup I'm trying to have, that would be awesome!

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
5psi, cheap as possable, here it goes...

Since aftermarket stuff is expensive, we're gonna go with some OEM stuff, which is a bit more work, but is cheaper...

WRX (or STI) exhaust the whole thing, manifold to muffler, with turbo
WRX (or STi) front crossmember and sway bar (to clear the exhaust) You can also just bend your stocker with a BFH, but this is not recommended.
Y-pipe, intercooler, BOV from WRX
Some sort of intake to the turbo

That's most of the major stuff, you'll also want some gauges to watch what's going on, (i'd recommend boost gauge, EGT, and wideband 02, but that's $$$). You'll also want something for fuel control, at 5lbs a RRFPR will do just fine. And a Manual Boost Controller to keep it at 5 lbs.

And all the various vacuum lines and whatnot you'll have to figure out on your own, as it's very hard to list them all.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Possible...yes, Easy...not really.

99RS didn't come with a wideband 02 stock?

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
I think its 265 CRANK HP so about 190-200 WHP.

·
Registered
Black 1998 2.5RS-T
1,842 Posts
Don't forget you need a smaller wastgate spring. And no stock car to my knowledge has ever came with a wideband 02. Definitely not a Subaru

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Possible...yes, Easy...not really.
99RS didn't come with a wideband 02 stock?
Stock wideband? :wtf:

I think its 265 CRANK HP so about 190-200 WHP.
The magical number! 200whp! But with an AVO kit, its not as reliable as a 2.0 swap or an sti swap. Nor is there the vast availability of power mods you'd have with a swap either.

avo kit? can I get it anywhere cheaper than $3500?
Check into the ludespeed kit as well. Go on www.nasioc.com and check in the classifieds section under "93-01 Impreza Parts" or whatever it is. You'll find quite a few different turbo kits that you can get for well under $3500 that are just as good. If you get one of those kits, you have to get engine management, and don't cheap out on it either.

Swap it dude!!! Searching for answers here will yeald nothing!
Searching for answers can solve almost anything. rs25.com has thousands of pages of information on all kinds of Subaru's. This question has been asked many, many, many times previously.. but I won't flame him for asking anyway.

You can boost the EJ251, but its not really recommended. Since the motors are high compression, they don't really hold up to boost too well. Also, the walls of the cylinders are pretty thin, and it is an open deck block. If you're going to boost, check into putting some 2.2 heads on there to lower compression a bit. I know you're not too mechanically inclined, otherwise I'd say grab a hold of a whole 2.2 engine and do a quick rebuild. Again, you CAN boost up to 5-7psi on an EJ251, but you'll never have the amount of power you can get with the turbo blocks, you'll never get the reliability, and you'll never have that many options for power mods as you would with a turbo block.

·
Registered
94 Mini Cooper
832 Posts
You can boost the EJ251, but its not really recommended. Since the motors are high compression, they don't really hold up to boost too well. Also, the walls of the cylinders are pretty thin, and it is an open deck block. If you're going to boost, check into putting some 2.2 heads on there to lower compression a bit. I know you're not too mechanically inclined, otherwise I'd say grab a hold of a whole 2.2 engine and do a quick rebuild. Again, you CAN boost up to 5-7psi on an EJ251, but you'll never have the amount of power you can get with the turbo blocks, you'll never get the reliability, and you'll never have that many options for power mods as you would with a turbo block.
DO NOT put 2.2 heads on your rs . you can put the 2.2 block in the rs but if your going to go that way just look up bryons build or however you spell his name. or you can just buy a STI block from SOA and go that way.
be smart and tune smart tuning is the biggest thing you can do to keeo your car alive. TUNE TUNE TUNE.
jake
:D

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
DO NOT put 2.2 heads on your rs . you can put the 2.2 block in the rs but if your going to go that way just look up bryons build or however you spell his name. or you can just buy a STI block from SOA and go that way.
be smart and tune smart tuning is the biggest thing you can do to keeo your car alive. TUNE TUNE TUNE.
jake
:D
Why not put the 2.2 heads on the RS block?

+1 for tune tune tune!! :)

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
Why go through all the trouble of wiring in 2.2 heads?!?! Just swap in an STi shortblock or rebuild your RS block with STi internals. That's what I did. :)

It takes a lot of work, and a lot of hidden costs that you'll run up on.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
My O2 sensor on my 01 is the same exact thing as my friends wideband from AEM. Same connector and everything. Maybe I am mistaken?

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS (STM)
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im fine with the power the AVO kit will produce with 6 psi... i didn't mention that this is my second car (senior in college) after owning a 140hp (if it's even that) integra from highschool. 260hp is cool with me... i'll be focusing more on the drivetrain/suspension but i just wanted to boost it w/o swapping or all those other costly/timey shinanigans. now someone find me an AVO kit for 1500 haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts