Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some Turtle Wax and also some Maguire's Cleaner Wax and found they the first is not so hot quality-wise, and the 2nd contains polish which I don't need on a new car I've had 3 weeks. So I purchased a cake of (solid) Mother's Carnauba wax. Says clear-coat safe (apparently the 02 RS 2.5's have clear coat).

Is this an ok wax to use?

blakespot

·
Registered
95 Posts
the mother's carnuba is good stuff, but it is hard to apply and even harder to remove(by hand), mothers was bought out by meguiars a few years ago so they are not what they used to be. IMHO try meguiars gold class, the first coat is ok, but after a few coats it really gives the paint a deep wet gloss shine. I have been using zymol, because it is all natural(no weird chemicals) and you can get it on the plastic and not have a problem, I actually wax my lenses once in a while with it.

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wilddave1 said:
I have been using zymol, because it is all natural(no weird chemicals) and you can get it on the plastic and not have a problem, I actually wax my lenses once in a while with it.
What problems come from getting it on plastics?

Also...I went out looking for Meguiar's Gold Class but could not find it, so I got the mothers. It is rather difficult to buff off. Can I switch to Meguiars Gold Class on the next waxing, or would that be somehow problematic? What would be the drill there?

Thanks.

blakespot

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some paste waxes leave white streaks if you get them on plastic, all the black moulding around the windows and doors. I'm not sure about the mothers, it's been a while since I used it.

The mothers carnuba is good stuff, but it will wear you out if you apply and remove it by hand. Especially the first time the car is waxed! I'm not a big fan of electric buffers so I prefer to do it by hand.

I'm not a professional or anything, but Meguirs gold class is carnuba based too I think, therefore you shouldn't have a problem swithching. Try the zymol car wash soap, it won't strip the wax but seems to remove almost any kind of dirt. It's very sudsy(?lots of bubbles?) too!

I waxed my car last night with zymol. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the most difficult wax job I've ever done! Really took some rubbing. I guess it does not harm the surface--a terry cloth cotton towel would not dig into the paint too significantly, would it?

Was also trying not to bow in the hood -- the hood, being thin, rather easily "bows" in (pop's in, and pop's back out with not much pressure) -- comes right back normal, but it's thinner than the hood on my old Neon so it was something I was not used to. I suppose this is normal?

blakespot

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yup! I tried to warn you. It is best to use a buffer for that stuff, although I don't like buffers. I'm sure your paint is fine. As long as the car was clean and you used a clean cloth. Also when you are done mist some water over the car with a hose. This is supposed to (set) the wax. Then dry it off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A few times a year I use NU Finish Polish then follow behind with Meguires Gold. NU Finish seems to take some of the grit or what ever off the surface then i seal it with the wax.

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
Paste or liquid wax usually contains petrolium distilates to keep the wax soft. If you have ever frozen liquid wax in the winter by storing it outside it is easy to see this as they seperate. Those chemicals are the problem with getting it on plastic and rubber. They leave a "haze" on the surface that you cannot get rid of.

Some liquid waxes don't contain these chemicals, but then they don't contain alot of wax in them either. If you use a solid wax, then it generally is very hard, but contains no distilates, but is harder to spread around, and remove. It also leaves the "hardest" longest lasting finish.

I use Meguirs gold class because waxing is a pain in the ass as it is, and I would rather do it a couple more times a year than once with solid carnuba.

As far as mixing waxes, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to worry about it, just wash the car with liquid dish soap and it will remove the wax and you can start over. Or you could spend more money on a car wash that is made for stripping wax. Either way...

cheeRS,

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts