Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foolishly after my ALK install, I decided to get more Whiteline stuff instead of Kartboy or another supplier.

Front endlinks designed for an STi, apparently don't fit, unless this is what they are supposed to look like mounted:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Secondly, I got their rear sway bar mount kit. I have a 20mm swaybar however the 22mm kit was 50$ cheaper than the 20, so I picked up the 22, and a set of 20mm bushings.
In all their genius, the 20mm bushing doesn't fit the sway bar mount kit, its about 1/4th too narrow to clear the bracket.

It's always one step forward, and 3 steps back with Whiteline it seems.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
548 Posts
I think you'd run into the same problem with Kartboy links as they are pretty much the same dogbone shape. That type just can't deal with the competing angles of the ASB and LCA on your setup, or it may be that your bar is too wide for the application.

Our setups are pretty similar, this is with a GD wagon 20mm bar and Whiteline's balljoint type end links.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'd run into the same problem with Kartboy links as they are pretty much the same dogbone shape. That type just can't deal with the competing angles of the ASB and LCA on your setup, or it may be that your bar is too wide for the application.

Our setups are pretty similar, this is with a GD wagon 20mm bar and Whiteline's balljoint type end links.
Glad I'm not the only one with the same issue!

Would be nice if they labeled it as not applicable for all STi's.

Hopefully I can still return it after installation.

Thanks for the post! Do you happen to have a part number for your endlinks? I found KLC139 but who knows what I'll actually get from them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
After this post I don't think it's a problem with whiteline buddy. that style endlink for sure does not work with those control arms

Secondly, I got their rear sway bar mount kit. I have a 20mm swaybar however the 22mm kit was 50$ cheaper than the 20, so I picked up the 22, and a set of 20mm bushings.
In all their genius, the 20mm bushing doesn't fit the sway bar mount kit, its about 1/4th too narrow to clear the bracket.

So you have a 20mm bar, but bought the 22mm bar mount kit and are complaining about fitment? Or am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After this post I don't think it's a problem with whiteline buddy. that style endlink for sure does not work with those control arms

So you have a 20mm bar, but bought the 22mm bar mount kit and are complaining about fitment? Or am I reading this wrong?
So if it doesn't work with the control arms, then why are they labeled as correct for the model year?

Not exactly. the 20mm bar kit was 120$, the 22mm was 80$, and a 20mm bushing was 15. So I bought the 22mm kit and the 20mm bushing to replace the 22mm bushing included with the kit, but it's too narrow to fit, of course.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
221 Posts
Sounds to me like you have quite the plethora of vehicle make/model parts put together in your vehicle to make it work. I don't think it's an issue with Whiteline, and more of an issue of not enough research before purchasing the parts... just my two cents. I only say that because I have a swapped front end as well and used a full whiteline kit on my car, front/rear, and had no issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sounds to me like you have quite the plethora of vehicle make/model parts put together in your vehicle to make it work. I don't think it's an issue with Whiteline, and more of an issue of not enough research before purchasing the parts... just my two cents. I only say that because I have a swapped front end as well and used a full whiteline kit on my car, front/rear, and had no issues.
I actually did put a ton of research into parts, plus all of my suspension bits are GD spec, not like im mixing anything 2008+ where everything really starts to get messy. I spoke numerous times to Whiteline, what will fit and what won't, and i based my decisions off their recommendations, which just goes to show they need to put up more accurate descriptions of their parts online, or hire knowledgeable staff.

Yeah I could have spent the extra 40$ to get the smaller swaybar mount, but who would know they arbitrarily change bushing widths?

Compare for yourself, KLC32 covers every Impreza from 1993 to 2014.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
221 Posts
I did literally one google search with "rs25 aluminum controls arm sway bar" and this was the top link.

I reiterate; Not a problem with Whiteline or their products, but a problem with your research.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I did literally one google search with "rs25 aluminum controls arm sway bar" and this was the top link.

I reiterate; Not a problem with Whiteline or their products, but a problem with your research.
so..KLC139's seem to have way more flexibility, and will work, even though they're ALSO rated for every impreza ever made?

or these?

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
221 Posts
Read the post I linked. Make a note of post #16. Your Whiteline endlinks are fine, and Whiteline as a company did nothing wrong to you. You not doing your research before buying/installing parts got you into this mess.

Edit: sorry if it sounds curt, I'm sick and in a foul mood that isn't your fault.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read the post I linked. Make a note of post #16. Your Whiteline endlinks are fine, and Whiteline as a company did nothing wrong to you. You not doing your research before buying/installing parts got you into this mess.

Edit: sorry if it sounds curt, I'm sick and in a foul mood that isn't your fault.
No worries at all. Thanks for the help.

looks my bar width is fine (GD) and don't want to get new LCA's, so just going to get the balljoint enlinks!

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
128 Posts
No worries at all. Thanks for the help.

looks my bar width is fine (GD) and don't want to get new LCA's, so just going to get the balljoint enlinks!
Always worth trying these, back in the day they were pretty popular:

I am also not a fan of Whiteline. I've never found the fitment to be amazing with their products. I am in the process of swapping everything out for Group N or Cusco.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,575 Posts
The GD/GG WRX sedan and wagon have a stamped steel control arm with two thinner mounting flanges on it for the dog bone type end links that you purchased, which is likely how they were listed as compatible. Only the GD WRX STi uses the aluminum control arms, which have the thicker single mounting flange and requires the ball joint type end links.

·
Registered
1998 WRX
45 Posts
Foolishly after my ALK install, I decided to get more Whiteline stuff instead of Kartboy or another supplier.

Front endlinks designed for an STi, apparently don't fit, unless this is what they are supposed to look like mounted:

View attachment 89925

They are WRX end links on STi arms

1 - 16 of 16 Posts