Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a "race" steering wheel and hub adapter for Christmas. I have removed the airbag, but I am having a little trouble with a particular aspect of the install. Before I try to describe it, has aonyone installed a race wheel the eliminates the airbag?

-Andy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
yep. i have... twice.. (2 different impreza's)

you will need to disconnect the airbag sensor... and remove that bit...

then you have to lop off the cancellers for the indicators
(the little gray things sticking out of the yellow/black wheel)
those are the cancellers for the turn signals...
unless you machine your hub to accept them, you will lose them and you will need to 'remember to...' turn off your turn signals manually....

also, if you have cruise, you'll need to remove that as well as it's not adaptable to the new steering wheel hub....

it's a lot of work... but i love my sparco :)

cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks Subie Gal. Ok, so I cut off them canceller post things. Oh well. On that same plastic disc (with the canceller posts on it) where the wires come out, that piece of plastic sticks out too far, and hits the hub adapter. Do I just cut that too, and cut the airbag wires down, leaving only the green airbag wire? Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Oh yea, any way to turn off that airbag light?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, wheel is on..I even had the signal return working, and the horn working. Both stopped working after about 12 turns. Time to pull it all apart and try again. May need the hack-saw again. For anyone curious..this is a pain in the ass.

-Andy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
oh geez.. i forgot about this...
i'll try n snap some photos for you if i have time to take off my wheel ok?

so so so hard to explain over the internet...
maybe photos will help...

hang in there...
jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peaty, thanks for the link...that got me off on the right foot, but since the airbag is removed, and a MOMO hub adapter doesn't seem to be very "adaptable" it didnt help much.

SubieGal,
Thanks, but I got it figured out. The turn signal return even works. It just took some industrial strength double-sided foam tape, and some patience. I made a plastic disk that fit inside the hub, and was notched so it won't spin freely, and then some of that servo-tape stuff to make sure that the return disk spun with the plastic insert in the hub..viola! I may take it all apart again some day, so I can make it less half-ass, but it works great for now...and no one can tell what I did.

-Andy

·
Registered
2000 Coupe... FAST
354 Posts
adamsabe said:
How did you eliminate the airbag light?
take out your instrument cluster and pull the airbag light :D

you can do that to any light you dont like lighting up on you... like your oil light.. or your CEL.... :checkit:

easy! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts