Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a fair majority of cosmetic mods on my 2000 rs and now I'm looking more toward performance. I'm just fishing for suggestions right now on the next few mods for my car. I've already got a ganzflow CAI with a k&n filter, I'm picking up a front strut bar, I've got a set of brand new Nitto 450 series tires, where should I go from here? I'm trying to pick up new rotors also. Should I go coilovers? Rear strut to compliment the front? Any suggestion is welcome.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
A lot of people would recommend a bigger rear sway bar. Preferably an adjustable one 18-22? ...18" for stock suspension. Then again, it only comes worthwhile only if you race your car like a mutant maniac monkey from outerspace.

People has voted the motor and transmission mounts to be very beneficial, too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What benefits would I see from new motor mounts? How much are they and how easy are they to install? Would I probably need a shop to do it?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd skip the motor and tranny mounts for now cause your not really adding any power or handling. Get the sway bar, the Kartboy end links, a 4 piston brake setup, SS line, upgrade the brake pads and maybe later the rotors, work getting a adjustable suspension or coilovers if possible. Then if you plan on going to a turbo setup later you might want to start looking for a set of WRX injectors (depending on your cars year), at least a 2.5in exhaust, better headers, EGT gauge, wideband O2 sensor and gauge, turbo kit or build your own setup, fuel pump, RRFPR, do the DIY dual feed fuel rail mod and get a good quality standalone ECU. At least thats the way I ended up doing it. Don't just slap a turbo kit on though. Make sure you have everything else first.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
cause your not really adding any power or handling
oh you're mistaken there!
add em to your car then come talk to me about the handling/power issue...

these mounts will increase the handling capabilities of the car and acutally assist in powering the car up as there's less vibration/engine "wiggling" if you will from take offs.

this made a flippin HUUUGE difference on my 1.8L
i swear it made the car more controllable and easier to launch.

but...
i agree. if you are still on the stock sway bar... GET RID OF IT :)
even an STi 18mm can be had for around $85.... including bushings!

good luck
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
See? :p Now, start investing... :lol:

If you are gonna get a bigger sway bar soon, a set of F/R endlinks will do you better in addition to the sway bar. I have a set of Whiteline endlinks bought from Lygriek for $75. Another good investment for better handling.

Don't forget the single point ground mod. I made extra torque down low, because I made three grounds (instead of just one) and scraped off the paint at the stock grounds. :checkit:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry I'm still not seeing the motor mounts as being a great issue on a 166 pounds of torque car. Your losing very minimal amounts of torque to the engine rocking from side to side. Especially on a boxer motor which is already fairly wide in the engine bay. I'd do suspension, intake, exhaust, pulleys, brakes long before the motor mounts.

Until somebody can show a dyno run from an unbiased shop that proves there is a performance gain I'm too skeptical of it. I think its just a preceived gain like a fart can exhaust on a 1.6L Civic.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
yeah?
and i bet you have aftermarket suspension with OEM stut (jello) tops too.. cuz that STi stuff dont do nothing :biggest:

hehehe to ea. their own.
i KNOW THEY make a difference as i have em on my cars ;)

jamie

·
Registered
646 Posts
Actually I have a full STI suspension and a set of JIV coilovers waiting to go on. However referring to a suspension is a performance gain and you can feel a suspension improvement but your not likely to feel the difference from hardened motor mounts. Maybe one of the shops out there should show some proof.

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO, i respect what jamie has to say due to her racing background. if she says it works then, i'll believe her.
anyway, to topic. i've heard that working up the rear suspension is the best way to start.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just remember that because you drive a car doesn't mean that your an expert on repairs or upgrade. Hell my wife can drive a car really well but I wouldn't want her to fix one. Either way it shouldn't be hard for somebody to finally come up with some proof otherwise its like 90% of the intake and exhaust ads in Sticker Tuner for Hondas. Empty claims.

·
Registered
139 Posts
point taken :D my g/f can drive the subie just fine but, i'll never let her under the hood.
however, i would assume that jamie isn't plum dumb when it comes to mechanics. i too would like to see actual numbers on performance increase with the mounts though. my guess is that it really wouldn't matter much until the power started getting higher and the engine wanted to move around a little more. in that case we would need the figures for a built motor and an un-built motor.
juz my .02

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thats what I've been asking for. I've even asked a couple vendors in the past about it but never see any dyno sheets to back it up. Maybe it would be worth writing to some mag like Turbo or SCC to see if they will weigh in on it with some dyno time.

I thought I would edit this since I at least got a response from Pam at ISR. She openly admits they will give you zero hp gain. So they are basically like taking a sugar pill.

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
I heard that the OEM RS mounts are soft and break easy under a lot of stress. After modding up to a certain point wouldn't you want to upgrade the mounts anyways? Do any of you all know at what point this would become a problem??

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
N/A said:
Thats what I've been asking for. I've even asked a couple vendors in the past about it but never see any dyno sheets to back it up. Maybe it would be worth writing to some mag like Turbo or SCC to see if they will weigh in on it with some dyno time.

I thought I would edit this since I at least got a response from Pam at ISR. She openly admits they will give you zero hp gain. So they are basically like taking a sugar pill.
I agree with Pam from ISR. They are not designed to give you hp or torque, but they are designed to do another job; keep the power produced from the engine to be distributed directly (linear-ly) to the wheels. I'll post my results once I install mine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I almost forgot about this thread. Let us know when you get some dyno results to show if there is anything to gain from these. Especially at the lower hp levels like say under 250hp at the crank.

·
Registered
613 Posts
N/A, unless you've really tried the engine/trans mounts, then how would you know? i had my engine combo in the car way before i tried the mounts and the first thing they do is not allow the engine to act like a bell clapper. now i see why this would be a good mod for stock power outputs. . you really have to try the mounts to believe. as far as adding power and handling, i would be willing to bet they would improve a cone harvester's times.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well as soon as some unbiased shop or company does some dyno and test runs we'll see. However on a road or auto-x course it would be hard to put in identical runs to prove any difference. I still say that I would seriously doubt that there would be a large enough difference to be noticeable. Its not a suspension mod after all.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to sound ignorant, but isn't saying STI mounts improve hp kinda like saying "hey I have more hp now that I installed that new strut bar"
I mean if it's not an electrical or mechanical modification to the motor can it really improve hp?:confused:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts