Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1995 JDM Impreza WRX with 107k miles. The leak happens when im stopped and overnight there will be a spot the size of a sand dollar underneath where the rock guard and o2 sensor are. Upon inspecting both underneath and above it appears to be leaking behind the Power steering pump, there is a very small puddle of oil behind it to the left of the EJ20 emblem. The leak is running down the front of my timing belt housing and in the back on the rock guard. There is also a thick oil residue on my tubes underneath the intake manifold behind the PS pump. My valve cover gaskets are both dry and I inspected the PCV valve and it is also dry and functioning. My oil levels are normal and have not changed, the same goes for my PS fluid. I have no other symptoms than the leak. I know the area of the leak, but I have no idea what exact seal or part is the culprit yet. I know the oil pump and PS pump are known to leak later down the road in mileage could one of these be the issue?

-I will also be posting more specific photos later when I have time to get to them.

·
Registered
95, Base 1.8L
25 Posts
Perhaps front cam seals...or half moon seals on back of the head...but because you said under the intake manifold I'd bet the power steering pump has a small/slow leak from the front output shaft seal/sprocket seal...a small amount can make a big mess...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps front cam seals...or half moon seals on back of the head...but because you said under the intake manifold I'd bet the power steering pump has a small/slow leak from the front output shaft seal/sprocket seal...a small amount can make a big mess...
I was mostly suspicious of the PS pump. Is it a seal that goes bad, or would I have to rebuild/replace the unit?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
In your pics, only the second one looks like a fresh leak. There might be multiple things leaking (a subaru that doesn't leak is a subaru that's out of fluids 🤣). You can separate the reservoir from the pump body, and take the o-ring(s) to an auto parts store. They can match the diameter to a brand new one.

·
Registered
95, Base 1.8L
25 Posts
From the pics I'd bet even more that is a leak from the power steering pump....subaru make rebuild kits (finding the right one can be kinda hard...i bought 3 kits and used seals from all of them to rebuild my pump after living with a simular unknown leak for months)...its easiest to remove the whole pump and rebuild on the bench, theres one bolt that's basically under the intake that's a pain to remove but all the others are pretty easy to get too. And when you put it back on, use hand tools or just be careful... the aluminum threads in the block/case half strip out super easy...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New update so I took a deep look into the car and im 95% sure I have found the culprit. I had no other symptoms until last week. The fluid on top has nothing to do with my bottom leak, although I do think it is a minor leak from my power steering. While driving last week my clutch/trans started whineing at first I though it was the super cold weather we had in the midwest, but after changing my trans oil and having warmer weather it still persisted, the next day I also got a burning smell and tiny amount of smoke (Burn and smell occured before trans oil change, was not caused by spilling tran oil on engine). After putting it up on jack stands and inspecting the bottom I am confident that it is my rear main seal/oil separator plate that has given out and has got to my clutch. It is this or possibly a transmission issue, either way now I have to separate the trans from the engine and check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts