Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[rant]

Hot damn - supposedly 220 hp, 6 speed, awd, 20-23k.

The only downside is that mitsu is supposedly going to pull out of the american market if their new line of cars does not do which means we will get stuck with fugly ass subaru's from here on out. I hope they do well so subaru has to redesign their attitude towards styling. Mitsubishi is gonna steal a LOT of business with a more aggressive 6spd wrx - esque (when it was good) car.

It shall be interesting to see what happens. If things keep going the way they are for subaru, and mistu does well, I might buy a mistu just to spite subaru for sucking so hard at designing good looking cars.

The audi a3 is most likely my next car since I will be buying new - and most definitely not a wrx - maybe an sti. We will see how they improve it.

It is depressing to see mitsubishi taking all the right steps forward and subaru taking them backwards. The new evo is gonna be awesome - I can see subaru making the STi lame and nothing more than it is now while the EVO will stomp on it.

[/rant]

Thoughts? I don't care how beaten to death this topic is - I am still furious, lol

·
Premium Member
Donk It.
1,696 Posts
Go ahead, buy that A3...then come whining your way back to subaru when your snazzy german feat of engineering requires $300 in special tools to work on and a wiper relay costs you several hundred dollars.

Honestly. How many miles have you owned your subaru? How hard do you drive it? How many times has it broken down beyond being driveable?

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
dude EVOs stomping on STIs is pretty old news....the last time a subaru had a unanimous agreement in out handling the EVO was.....the STI p1 gc chassis?

·
turbocharged mayhem
MBP 03 wrx wagon
1,029 Posts
Mitsubishi sucks period. :monkey:

Ive got 2 regular lancers in the family, both have weird ass electrical problems. Blowing dash lights, fuses, and tail lights not working. The one's ac doesnt drain properly so the stinky water builds up and then drains into the car. They have no fuel filter.

Ill never own one ever in life, they are true soda can cars.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
An A3? Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but considering what it costs, and the option packages available(no 2.0T 6spd quattro? come on), I'd look at the GTI instead.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't like the new GTI's - the only two GTI's I would EVER consider getting are MkII with swap or the R32 that is no longer in production :(.

I used to love toyota but all their cars are fulgy as hell. I used to love subaru but they new cars (minus the legacy) are so ugly it isn't even funny. The baseline 2.5rs equivalent in the new body style looks like a geometro?

I've had my subaru for 25K miles, 3 years. Never had any serious problem - besides of course it being a magnet for terrible female drivers... But for a faster, more fun to drive car, I would take a hit on reliability. For awesome looks and creature comforts I would take a hit for reliability and cost (a3). 165hp isn't enough to keep me happy anymore and it seems like every new ugly ass production car has that minimum, most likely 200hp. I wish they would have kept the 04-05 body style going for longer.

I wonder if subaru is noticing a hit in sales especially after every single magazine article I've seen is trashing their new design (well the looks at least).

The new styling of the lance is pretty awesome. It is very aggressive but fairly mid 20's. Guess what, I will be like 23 when I get it so yeah, lol.

Ultimately it just pisses me off that in America Subaru is this un-rallisinspired econo piece of ugly dated ford focus styling drive it cuz its safe and for no other reason hella irritating pos. Damn you subaru, damn you! I hope this body design falls on its face so hard that they only keep it for one year

:monkey: And that, is how I really feel!

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
scoobaroo said:
dude EVOs stomping on STIs is pretty old news....the last time a subaru had a unanimous agreement in out handling the EVO was.....the STI p1 gc chassis?
EVO = better on tarmac
STI = better on the dirt.

If you watch the results of ROA sti's are almost always beating the evos, and on the time attack the evo always beats the sti. They have different highpoints.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
static_rst said:
I don't like the new GTI's - the only two GTI's I would EVER consider getting are MkII with swap or the R32 that is no longer in production :(.
The GTI and A3 are on the same platform. There's a new R32 coming soon.

For awesome looks and creature comforts I would take a hit for reliability and cost (a3).
Can't argue there, but the A4 is about the same price, and a lot more car. Plus, you can get a manual and AWD with it.

I wonder if subaru is noticing a hit in sales especially after every single magazine article I've seen is trashing their new design (well the looks at least).
I bet they're not. They market to the masses in America, not the enthusiasts.

Ultimately it just pisses me off that in America Subaru is this un-rallisinspired econo piece of ugly dated ford focus styling drive it cuz its safe and for no other reason hella irritating pos. Damn you subaru, damn you! I hope this body design falls on its face so hard that they only keep it for one year

:monkey: And that, is how I really feel!
It's for a reason. Go out somewhere and find me 10 people who even know what WRC stands for, let alone actually give two shits about it. They're simply selling to their target market, which means safety, conservative syling, and fuel economy. Don't like it? Nobody's putting a gun to your head; buy what appeals to you.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't like the look of the new gti - that is why I would go with the a3. I didn't know the a3 and a4 were at the same price - A4 it is! I was under the impression that the a3 was awd / manual but I havn't looked into it.

The new R is the same body style as the new gti - which I can't stand, so it is out. I will give them credit though, they made a better looking hatch than subaru did with the new wrx.

I will most likely always keep my GC even when I get a new car and keep it as a track car or a weekend monster (mad powa!) because I can't give up one of the best body styles subaru made! It is an awesome car, and I love it. If they bring the forester sti or legacy sti I would hard pressed not to buy another subaru, those cars are sooooo awesome (but too cool for america).

It is just sad to see a company ignore the enthusiast market, ya know? There is something to be said about the M3, Mcoupe, SMG, most of mazdas cars (especially the new turbo 6 (fwd though :()) and other cars manufacturers that keep both markets enthused.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well, the base A3 is cheaper than the A4, but good luck finding one. A lot of the ones I've seen have been at least as expensive as an A4.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Well, selling both brands... Mitsubishi is getting it right, the Galant Ralliart in black is one sexy bitch. The new Outlander with it's V-6 and hard drive nav system, 650 watt Fosgate stereo, paddle shift... is on the money. The new Eclipse, even with the 'black booty' back end, is still a nice cruiser (terrible torque steer on the GTS model). They will earn the right to stay here... and will succeed.

Subaru? Overwhelming bad reviews on the design their new Impreza... making the Tribeca 'safe' and looking like everything else in a very competitive market (now how do they stand out?)... and who knows if they can save the STI from mundaneness. I pray for sales success from Subaru, but I can't help but think they are pitching the faithful under the bus!

Group hug! We need to support the mothership... :noes:

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
eh....i'll be getting an EVO when i start making the money...in like 10 years from now. I was and still am an EVO guy.

but don't get me wrong, i wouldn't trade my RS for anything....except a girlfriend

·
Registered
2001 RBP Subaru 2.5rs
862 Posts
cueball89 said:
Mitsubishi sucks period. :monkey:

Ive got 2 regular lancers in the family, both have weird ass electrical problems. Blowing dash lights, fuses, and tail lights not working. The one's ac doesnt drain properly so the stinky water builds up and then drains into the car. They have no fuel filter.

Ill never own one ever in life, they are true soda can cars.
Ya know most of the people in Japan would agree with you. Their trucks are known for having electrical problems and catching on fire. My Japanese roommate was thrilled when he found out that I decided to go with Subaru over Mitsubishi. Meh, it was a no brainer on my part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts