Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
take the front timing belt covers off the left and right side. turn the engine by hand and line up the tick marks on the cams with the ones on the rear of the cover.

if you have that right, check for other issues. if you've already changed the plugs, change the wires. if it's still doing it, change the coil pack. you may need to clean your idle air control valve, and or change it.

my vote is that it's out of time.

·
Registered
Aspen white 00 RS, WRB 03 WRX
797 Posts
Definitely worthwhile to check the coilpack terminals before you go and replace it.

While looking into to the other things that have been mentioned, pull the wires off of the coil pack and check the terminals for corrosion. That said, in my experience you'll have misfires at all RPM ranges if the coil is on the way out.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
2 Posts
ghost in the system

I am having the very same issue with my 01 RS. I began with the valve cover gaskets since they were saturating the plug wires with oil. I did the plugs at the same time. Since that didn't remedy the prob, I tested the coil pack and found that it was out of spec (ohm range) and replaced that. This made it drivable but not fixed; but the CEL does not come back on. I will be replacing the plug wires, cleaning the MAF sensor and checking the timing today. The point being, nothing is testing as having failed but there is definitely a problem that I can not pinpoint. If I find it I will share the solution, or if someone else does, please do the same.

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5 RS
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
take the front timing belt covers off the left and right side. turn the engine by hand and line up the tick marks on the cams with the ones on the rear of the cover.

if you have that right, check for other issues. if you've already changed the plugs, change the wires. if it's still doing it, change the coil pack. you may need to clean your idle air control valve, and or change it.

my vote is that it's out of time.

im about 99% sure its in time correctly.. it ran great after the timing belt change.

i have also cleaned i iacv. then got another used one. neither seemed to help

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5 RS
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely worthwhile to check the coilpack terminals before you go and replace it.

While looking into to the other things that have been mentioned, pull the wires off of the coil pack and check the terminals for corrosion. That said, in my experience you'll have misfires at all RPM ranges if the coil is on the way out.

ive checked the terminals. sprayed em with contact cleaner, then rubbed that electrical grease shit on em too.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs coupe
404 Posts
The marks on the belt might not always line up with the marks on the pullys. Whats important is that the pullys line up with the marks on the heads and block at the same time.

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5 RS
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The marks on the belt might not always line up with the marks on the pullys. Whats important is that the pullys line up with the marks on the heads and block at the same time.
cool thanks

i dont think its the timing at all. i think its a sensor or something

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
23 Posts
I just got my car 2 weeks ago and am having the same problem. Drove fine for a while and I even took it on a long road trip just fine. In the past 2 days CEL has been coming on and I got the same four codes as you. Idle has been choppy the past couple of days and the car has been feeling sluggish and bucking every now and again for the past couple days. Has the same been happening for you? I have read that it could be knock sensor, o2 sensor, bad coils etc.. If I find anything I will post back in here in hopes that it will help you too.

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
23 Posts
I feel so stupid. I got so spoiled by my other cars that I made a newbie mistake. I put plugs into my RS w/o gapping them. My other cars take certain NGK plugs that are pregapped out the box. So it did not occur to me to gap these ones. I gapped them to .044 and no more problems. I doubt this would solve your issue unless like me, you forgot to gap the spark plugs. GL with your problem and I hope it's as easy and inexpensive a fix as mine was.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS Blue
1 Posts
hesitation

I am having the same issue. I was told that it could be a cam sensor or even a crank sensor. I guess there was a recall on those 2 parts awhile back. I'm going to be checking those this week. I'll re-post if it helps.

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5 RS
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel so stupid. I got so spoiled by my other cars that I made a newbie mistake. I put plugs into my RS w/o gapping them. My other cars take certain NGK plugs that are pregapped out the box. So it did not occur to me to gap these ones. I gapped them to .044 and no more problems. I doubt this would solve your issue unless like me, you forgot to gap the spark plugs. GL with your problem and I hope it's as easy and inexpensive a fix as mine was.

i didnt think about checking the gap.. they are usually pre-gapped. ill check them this weekend. im assuming they are right though.

i also bought a new coil. i update this thread after i receive it and get a chance to put it in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.