Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! i need help! I have a 1999 impreza ts 2.2L with 160 000k on the moteur
I went to the garage twice and the probleme is still not solved.
When im in gear and i push the gaz pedal it missfire below 3000rpm
I take it to the garage they changed spark plug&seals,valve cover gasket and the thermostat.
Drive back home.. misfire again.. its getting worst still does it above 3000rpm!
I take it back, they do gaz filter, ignition coils&wires
They said "we found the probleme its the ignition coil we did the water test and it spark so new coil and wires now its okay!"
I take it back home, it misfire worst then ever. I stop the car got write to the garage then go for a drive, it dsnt misfire.. I stop and later a take it again: now it misfires under 3000rpm
Im taking it back to the garage tommorow
Check engin: rear o2 sensor and last night they pulled gaz indicator sensor
After more then 1000$ im getting tired .. Any clues please? Tell me about how you fixed your misfire.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
I know the 99 2.5L had a MAF sensor, not sure about the 2.2

If it does I would consider that..

Run the car and unplug the MAF it will put the car in limp mode but if its a fueling issue it should run better ..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
'98 2.5rs
4 Posts
Do you have a lightweight flywheel? They've been known to cause misfire codes due to their lack of vibration damping vs the stock steel flywheels. Kind of a shot in the dark, but hunting random misfires can be a real pain in the neck.

·
Registered
2003 BRP 2.5 RS, 2005 Camo 20K
82 Posts
Remove crank and cam POS, clean them, and put back in. Remove plugs, verify gap, put back in, Clean air filter, throttle body, IACV. Lastly do a compression and leakdown test for any bent or pitting valves (would have to be serious damage, skipped more than 2 teeth) Make sure you are using NGK wires and plugs. None of that oreilly bunk. I bought a brand new set of plug wires for my 03 RS. Misfired under 3k the whole way down to LA for subiefest (fine at higher RPM). Problem was a POS plug wire that wasnt containing spark. no probs whatsoever now that i went with OEM NGK. GL bud! the problem is there somewhere, just gotta sit back, relax, and think it out before spending $$$$ to TRY and fix the problem. Work smart, not hard :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its an NA so gaps dont apply i think, as for the wire and plugs its all new.. new coil
I have no knowledge about the crank/cam, throttle body at all..
What is POS wire?
Thank you !!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
its an NA so gaps dont apply i think, as for the wire and plugs its all new.. new coil
I have no knowledge about the crank/cam, throttle body at all..
What is POS wire?
Thank you !!!
gaps apply in all cars. If plug gap is off, it wont fire. even if its 35 when its supposed to be at 44 IIRC, it wont fire. POS wire=Piece of **** wire=oreilly. lol. what plugs, coil, and wires are you running? THe crank and cam position sensors are pretty accessible. they are held on with one 10mm bolt each and just unclip. they are magnets and can very well get some foreign debris on the magnet face, impededing proper signals from magnets on crank and cam sprockets. with Crank pos sensor removed, take a look at crank sprocket for any missing "trackers" (NOT belt teeth, but teeth that magnet pick up)

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
gaps apply in all cars. If plug gap is off, it wont fire. even if its 35 when its supposed to be at 44 IIRC, it wont fire.
Having a smaller gap actually helps make sure the mixture fires. Often turbo cars need to run smaller gaps because the denser mixture makes it harder to ionize and jump the gap. Or stronger coils, obviously. A .35" gap would be perfectly acceptable in an NA EJ, although a little lower than spec. Possibly a little less efficient, little less power, lower MPG, but it would definitely run.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Having a smaller gap actually helps make sure the mixture fires. Often turbo cars need to run smaller gaps because the denser mixture makes it harder to ionize and jump the gap. Or stronger coils, obviously. A .35" gap would be perfectly acceptable in an NA EJ, although a little lower than spec. Possibly a little less efficient, little less power, lower MPG, but it would definitely run.
hm.. i bought a set of plugs that werent pre gapped. had a terrible idle and threw misfire codes. bought NGK pregapped and had no issues. I COULD have very well bought a bad/ faulty set. but im pretty sure it was the gapping that made the difference. Just a thought as to what could cause the misfire. You are right, plug gap is probably the last culprit. youd have more luck finding the issue with a crap wire. just a thought :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so im leaving the garage after they changed the coil and .. still does it..
wierd thing, next morning its fine! the best it has been since iv bought it.
still in the first few minutes in the morning it still does it but after thats its fine..
its beenm 3 days now and it drives fine:) fingers crossed
Thanks for the replies! I'll update you soon
Peace!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts