Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was browsing through a Japanese mag, and i found a Misfire controller. What does this thing do? They also mention a misfire controller in initial d. They guy said he tuned it to his advantage. Doesnt misifiring lose you power?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I remember the guy in Initial D with the Mitsubishi Lancer mention something like 'misfiring system' too. Have no idea what it could be though, extreme ignition advance ?

·
Registered
2003 2.5 rs
8 Posts
the misfiring system is kinda wierd, what i was told is that a sparkplug is place in the down pipe along with a fuel line
and when ever the blow off valve kicks in the fuel is shot into the down pipe igniting from the sparkplug and allowing the turbine to constantly spin so you have no turbo lag but thats just what i was told.

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
hellsing said:
the misfiring system is kinda wierd, what i was told is that a sparkplug is place in the down pipe along with a fuel line
and when ever the blow off valve kicks in the fuel is shot into the down pipe igniting from the sparkplug and allowing the turbine to constantly spin so you have no turbo lag but thats just what i was told.
And I've heard the same.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Okay. I know it's ineffecient, and hard on engine mechanicals, and loud. But this has to be the most badassed system for improving performance i've ever seen. It could just be because i'm a chemistry major, and what chem majors love to do above all else, is make things blow up, but...using a gasoline explosion to combat lag is just.......insanely awesome.

I want one :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2001 6.0?RS Sedan
37 Posts
Basically anti lag is just a modification to you spark timing at off throttle.

The anti-lag system cuts spark when the throttle is closed but does not cut fuel. This allows unburnt fuel and air to enter the turbo manifold. When it comes into contact with the hot turbine blades of the turbo, it burns, causeing expanding gas and therefore keeps the turbo spooled up.

This is not something you want on a street car. It is incredably loud (backfires), and very hard on turbos. Ball bearing turbos will fail very quickly. The WRC guys run special thrust bearing packs in the center section of the turbo to keep them lasting the entire race. Even then, you wonder why the WRC turbos have quick disconnect oil lines.

J

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
jeffg said:
Basically anti lag is just a modification to you spark timing at off throttle.

The anti-lag system cuts spark when the throttle is closed but does not cut fuel. This allows unburnt fuel and air to enter the turbo manifold. When it comes into contact with the hot turbine blades of the turbo, it burns, causeing expanding gas and therefore keeps the turbo spooled up.

This is not something you want on a street car. It is incredably loud (backfires), and very hard on turbos. Ball bearing turbos will fail very quickly. The WRC guys run special thrust bearing packs in the center section of the turbo to keep them lasting the entire race. Even then, you wonder why the WRC turbos have quick disconnect oil lines.

J
I know this. I was kidding....mostly :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts