Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L with boost.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mike's 95 STI Type RA (Pic Heavy)

Update on the conversion, installed the new packs and spliced out the existing igniter. Pretty simple job, however, wiring does make me a little stressed. Had some hiccups during the cleanup portion as my turbo timer was causing the car to do weird things (operating without the keys installed; had to stall out the car to get it to turn off so I could trouble shoot). I'm assuming at least, once I disconnected it, the car ran fine and I haven't had issues since.

Would highly recommend this mod for EJ20G owners. Simple, parts are readily available, and it feels like the car runs better then it ever has. You could attribute at to cracked coil packs bringing me down the entire time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

No significant updates. Been battling some sort of sensor issue that is causing the car to run like garbage until it gets to operating temps. Some google searching has narrowed it down to basically any engine sensor as they all therm to have the same symptoms. So that's been fun to troubleshoot. Anywho, stock down pipe is going back on tomorrow to fix or rule out a bad oxygen sensor. Then I'll be off island for a bit so even more thread down time.

I'm about 4-5 months away from stripping and boxing up the car so I don't plan on doing much in that time frame aside from just driving and enjoying my last bit of time with Jane (the car, yes I named it). So until then expect only glamour shots and maybe some updates on the sensors until tear down time comes.

And on that note...

Photos credit of @boostedimporter on IG. I don't have any talent beyond my iPotato.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Swapped the HKS down pipe for the stock one to ops check the o2 sensor. Cars seems to be back to her good ol' self, so right now I'm ruling that as the problem. The DP had only been on the car since the 6 speed swap and I'm guessing the flogging at autocross finally killed it. We shall see if the problem resurfaces. I did change MAF's, TPS, and was going to swap crank sensors had the o2 sensor not been the case.

Def going to look into that coolant bypass thread though. Who knows, might be something worth doing. I did pick up a metal coolant resi from a buddy of a 205 so possibly in conjunction with that.

·
Registered
1993 WRX Silver
162 Posts
The metal coolant tank is one of the best things ive done. Just need to make a bracket, trim down 2 of the 205 hoses going toward the radiator, use the stock 205 lower hose, and stock 20G upper hose

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I didn't get any of the hoses, just the tank. But I'll run all new lines during the rebuild so I'm not too worried about that part. Just simple stuff to upgrade when the time comes. Times flying for me over here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I'm about two months from a teardown so I've just been enjoying the car. Did a nice drive/poker run this weekend. Talked one of my photographer buddies into tagging along so he got some good shots of a majority of the cars. My boy Josh threw this edit together of the highlights. It was a gorgeous day and some even more beautiful roads to drive.

I'm going to miss this island.

And the video edit.
https://youtu.be/uCR-D6gtsTQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Haven't started tear down on my car yet, but I helped a buddy dismantle his V8 today. Ended up taking the 207 home with me. So now I have two drive trains, the EJ20G and DCCD 5 speed from the type RA and the EJ207 and the DCCD 6 speed from the V8. Now to decide what I want to do with it all... But that's for another day. Turns out I'm Georgia bound end of September, so I'll have a whole new group of people to try and coax into helping me.

Pics from today:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Probably not any updates for a while. Stripped the car yesterday for parts shipping. Bittersweet day, but it's all for a good cause. Sold the EJ20G to a buddy locally, so just the 207 and the 6MT and 5MT will be coming home with me. Here's some pics of the tear down? I guess.

Also, I'll have a real nice "going away" video a buddy of mine is throwing together for me and his portfolio. So that'll be posted here within a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That's what people keep telling me, but honestly I just don't care about pulling parts to make money. And I was beat at the end of the day, i just wanted to get what I needed for my stateside build and roll her outside. I tried selling a wing a while back and got 0 bites. So I wasn't going to pull this one too. Traded it for a can of beer to a buddy who needed a temp trunk lid for some body work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

A good buddy of mine got some new video equipment and threw this together for me. He did an amazing job and it made for a great "going away present" for the car. Like I said, posts will be minimal until the parts make it to the land of the free home of the 25 year import rule.

Unless I find some sweet parts before then...

So, enjoy! Like, and see his other work for some hot JDM goodness. A rocket bunny S13 and a R34 VSpec are on the list of cars soon to be shot. Vinetti on the Facebook and Instagram!

JDM RHD STI Type RA Feature Video - YouTube

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Maybe, I was contemplating getting new ones.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So... the car took a backseat obviously while I moved back to the states on got settled. Priorities/responsibilities shifted, but my parts arrived last month and yesterday I picked up this clean 1995 Impreza L coupe to swap all the goodies in to. Two small rust spots in the usual locations, but the interior is real clean and the paint is surprisingly perfect. Found a full service history in the glovebox for the second owner. I got lucky with this one. The 2.2 will obviously be pulled in favor of the 207 and drivetrain. Hopefully I'll get the ball rolling on this after the holidays are over and I can get back to blowing money on parts I want haha.

Some pics.
IMG_8465.jpg IMG_8781.JPG

41 - 60 of 176 Posts