Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
674 Posts
The Exedy stage 1 is only rated for OEM torque levels. I have a 500+ build planned for the states so I wanted to buy once and hopefully be done. A 500+ rated Exedy is $1000+.

I'm not too worried about the swap. I know my way around a set of tools and my Subaru. I also have a very experienced friend lending me his expertise so it'll be an insightful day with some learning along the way.
Gotcha, makes sense to go w/ACT then, I only did the Stage 1 since I prob won't surpass 320whp with my car.

I did have an ACT with my 5spd before swapping and really have no complaints, nice engagement and never slipped in any gear.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L with boost.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
6 speed swap completed. The new trans shifts nice and smooth and the clutch is stiff, but very manageable. A little grabby, but it is brand new. All in all it was a pretty smooth install. We broke some ****, we had to cut some bolts, but the trans went in as smooth as you can imagine and we really didn't run into many bumps on the actual install portion. Spliced the lines from my existing DCCD in with a new plug to the harness wires on the 6 speed. I could definitely do it again a shave some time off.

Again, huge thanks to the guys who came out and helped me and my Subaru mentor. Couldn't have been done without them. I don't know what's in store next while I'm on island, but I am 2/3rd's of the way to a full GDB swap... Now for beer and noodles. Cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Haha ok, whats left for the GDB swap? Motor? Are you going to do the dash swap also?

I don't actually plan on doing a whole GDB swap. Rich just mentioned it and it made me laugh. The diff was because I wanted to run Brembos and the LSD and the 6 speed was because I wanted it. I'm keeping the EJ20G. Also not swapping any dash. I love my smooth dash. I'm also PCSing in August so it's all going into boxes.

·
Registered
1993 WRX Silver
162 Posts
Ah ok. Yea youve pretty much done everything I want to do on mine. Love the 20G and flat dash, but wish I had a 6 speed, r180 and brembos. Also how did you hook up the speedometer?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ah ok. Yea youve pretty much done everything I want to do on mine. Love the 20G and flat dash, but wish I had a 6 speed, r180 and brembos. Also how did you hook up the speedometer?

We removed the speed sensor from the 6 speed and replaced it with the one from the 5 speed. Fits right in and hooks back up. Everything works perfect

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Everything worked. I cycled the DCCD and all my gauges worked. Im considering a 207 to take back, but I honestly don't think I'd use it. Maybe when I get closer to leaving.

·
Registered
1993 WRX Silver
162 Posts
Also another quick question, are you using the gc8 rear subframe or the gdb subframe? Which lateral links and trailing arms?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Also another quick question, are you using the gc8 rear subframe or the gdb subframe? Which lateral links and trailing arms?

I'm using the GC crossmember with GD lateral links and everything else because I didn't get get new R180 diff bolts when I ordered mine. I had to reuse the studs from the R160. Everything else out back is GD though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fixed the broken sway bar end link with one off a legacy B4 from a junkyard. I'll upgrade to aftermarket pieces eventually, but for the time being the $8 takeoff will suffice.

Received my beatrush map box today. No real necessity here, I just really wanted it and kept seeing it pop up for sale online. Happy with it and will install it soon.

That's all for today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Managed to finally get some "track time" today. Participated in a local HPDE and finally got to put all these upgrades through the ringer. This was my first ever Auto X type event but by far the funniest thing I've ever done. The car handled amazingly and I was happy with my performance.

I did decide that I do not like the Dunlop Direzza's that came on my wheels. While they've suited me just well on the mountains, they really fell short today. By the 4th run, they were barely holding on, I had tons of under steer, and the rear end broke loose way more then I would have liked. This goes to reinforce how important good, sticky tires really are.

Anyways, here's a couple photos and a clip from my second run. I got lost on my first run of the day haha. So we can just dismiss that one.

RCCA 20160213 - YouTube

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, "winter" here means maybe a sweatshirt. It does dip down some, but it was high 70's and sunshine yesterday thankfully. I did however forget sunscreen...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So after the event over the weekend my car began to run like crap. Sputtering and what not. Cleaned the MAF and swapped the plugs. The plugs I pulled showed no signs of fouling, but I swapped them since I was already that deep into it. The coil packs, however, were in subpar shape. 3 of the 4 were cracked and when I removed the boots on the end they crumbled. I attributed the poor conditions to this, hopefully.

Did the new age coil conversion on my EJ20G with the exception of the last bit of removing the stock igniter and splicing those wires together. It's dark now and the weather isn't super awesome so I won't be doing electrical work without any cover. It can wait until the morning. The conversion was straightforward with the help of a buddies YouTube video showing step by step. Here's some before and after pics.

Hopefully this is the solution to my problem.

21 - 40 of 182 Posts