Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L with boost.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sitting here in the airport so I figured I'd throw up what pictures I have and start a long build thread. This will be composed mostly of my work done while in Japan to my Ver 2 STI Type RA and eventually, hopefully, turn into my stateside build when I get orders back next year. So feel free to comment or browse as you please. This is as much for me as it is for you all.

How it sat the day I got it. 1995 Ver 2 STI Type RA. It was bone stock with the exception of a no name axle back muffler and some old sound system wiring.

Sold this roach to make the purchase of the STI.

Eventually I started to add bits to it as I sold off old GTR parts. Picked up a set of JDM OEM option wheels, RE B51's similar to RS Zero's. And some Rally Armor mud flaps.

Picked up a set of Brembo's from a buddy and started the slow process to acquire the parts I needed to slap them on.

First I picked up a set of TE37's to clear the Brembo's. 17x8 +38 with Dunlop Direzza rubber shipped from mainland.

Started getting random parts from various venders. SS lines to update the tires stock lines. Generic drilled/slotted rotors to hold me over. For the rear I had researched and decided not to go with the R180 swap and ended up ordering a dogbone bracket and oversized shoes to slap the rear onto the stock R160.

Headache after headache with getting the brackets from England led me to ditch the idea and go R180 swap. Picked up a rear crossmember with hubs, half shafts, crossmember, etc from a GDA bugeye STI. Picked up a clean R180 with a 3.9 FD and Cusco RS 1.5/2 way differential installed. Not too bad of an install, but def more work than the brackets. Worth every penny in my opinion though.

A long day with the much appreciated help of some friends and fellow enthusiasts had my brakes on and my ride sitting pretty. All that was left was the Flatouts suspension C57i V2 to arrive. Unfortunately international shipping took a while and I couldn't pass up a free day to wait any longer. Ended up installing the coil overs a few weekends later.

Quick easy swap and that's basically how I'm rolling around. Got a quick lesson in rolling fenders and knocked that out too so no more rub.

Buddies Type R we did the same day.

And basically how she sits today. Been off island so I'll have the alignment done and dialed in this week and then on to the next set of mods. Not sure where to go next, but I'm sure something will fall into my lap.

Thanks for the look.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the car all aligned up finally. Was able to burn my last day off to get it set up. -2.5F and -1.5R for Gymkhana/AutoX. We shall see how those settings go. Feels so much better though. Also had then swap the Amsoil sever gear for Cusco LSD 80W140 gear oil. Night and day difference there as well. Much better to drive and hookup.

Still jet lagged, I woke up early and decided to install my Momo Race and Sparco QD in place of the stock Nardi. Getting the wheel off was a huge pain in the butt, but getting in and out of the car is now so much easier. Not to mention any sort of under dash maintenance being a breeze to access now. And it's much more comfortable than the tired stock wheel.

That's all for now. There is a HPDE this weekend I'm hoping to hit up if work permits so maybe some pics/video from that in the next update.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm going to try and photo document the life span of this car from now on to the stateside rebuild. Never had a members journal for any of my cars/bikes before.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't make it to the event due to a combination of lack of sleep due to work and weather. I made the adult decision to save my car and sleep in. I did make it, however, to a local poker run yesterday. Was able to give the car a little bit of go to see how she handled. So smooth and composed compared to before. The combination of all the parts and a dialed in alignment made for a hell of a ride. I will be needing to upgrade my brake MC to the larger one as my brakes aren't as aggressive as I had hoped. Here's some pics and a short lame video of one road we hit.

Oki Boys Poker Run 2105 - YouTube

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for lack of updates, been real busy traveling for work. Haven't done much to the car. Really just been trying to purge my pile of pulled parts taking up space right now.

I've decided I want to go way more weekend track dedicated then before and have been making a list and doing lots of reading. 6 speeds and and lots of chu chu noises are in the future. But for now, I'm enjoying holiday things and taking care of personal stuff.

I did buy myself some car related Christmas gifts, this one here just arrived. There's more on the way, and pics will follow, but this boxed up front mount will have to hold you over for now.

Hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable holiday season. 2016 is gonna be real real good.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been a hot minute with the holidays and such, but I finally have a new project on hand. Picked up a 6 speed with DCCD from a V8 JDM STI to throw in. Just waiting on the clutch kit and flywheel from RSD and I'll be able to throw it all in. Weighed the pro's and cons of the swap for a while and decided the 6 speed was the way to go. I wont the parting with the 5 speed just yet though, as I really like the RA gearing and I may throw it in something else down the road. We shall see.

I also rescued these fixed back seats from the trash. An older Sparco Rev and a very tiny no name brand. They came with a bride and sparco rail, but for a Silvia so I'll sell those to fund proper rails for my car.

Looking around for a replacement cover for the Rev, but I'll prob have to end up getting one made because the part is discontinued from Sparco. Those are on the back burner for now however.

Hope everyone had a safe, great holiday. I'm excited for what 2016 has in store for me.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,203 Posts
Looking good Mike! That seat restorations going to be interesting. Also, that brand Stout seems uncommon but primarily sells two types of aftermarket parts in Japan, bucket seats and custom hoods! They actually made some parts (2 cf hoods) for the GC chassis by the way!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's some good info! The resto will be more of a pain than I had planned. A buddy here just redid an equally trashed Sparco Sprint, but getting those covers was easy. It'll be a car project that's a little different than my usual ones.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small updates. I'm not much of a sticker for cosmetic stuff, but I did buy myself a couple little items.

Bought this US Racing lip off the auctions. Thought it was for a V5/6 lip like I have in my parts room. Turned out to be for a V1-4! Happy about that. Looks weird without side skirts, but I don't care.

Also got a S201 rep scoop for my facelift stuff from Zombie Customs. Thick FRP and it seems to fit fine when I mocked it up.

I'll get both of them painted and put on at some point.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Facelift completed for the most part. I have the V5/6 bumper and a pair of crystal fogs, but I didn't feel like swapping those. I like the V1-4 bumper and I have that lip still to go on. The scoop fit real well with the exception of it hitting the factory intercooler splitter, so that was removed. This is fine though, because I have the slanty intercooler and the splitter would have done more bad then good in my opinion.

My clutch kit and flywheel also arrived for the 6 speed swap. Did some research and asked some shop guys from an old Suby club and decided on the ACT. Not everyone's favorite, but I'm sure it will be fine for my application. Didn't want to drop another $1500+ on an exedy.

All that's left if the starter to arrive and hopefully next weekend work will allow me to get that bad boy thrown in. That will prob be my next update as I photo document that process. Happy New Year everyone.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS
8 Posts
nice ride man, imagine you must have access to some pretty sweet parts over there in Japan....Peanut Butter and Jealous!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up this little junkyard find. Not exactly what it's a rep of as it's got styling cues from V5/WRC/whatever else. Anyways, it was cheap. I may get it painted and throw it on here. Or I may chop out the blade and try my hand at making it adjustable. I like that idea. For now it sits with the other aesthetic parts.

Also, hoping to get the 6 speed swap in this weekend. Look forward to more pictures of that as well as frustrated me giving you a play by play.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
668 Posts
$1500 for an Exedy? Where were you seeing that!?

I just bought an Exedy Stage 1 for my 6spd back in October and only came out to $464.85 from Oakos.

Gl on the 6spd swap, its a LOT of work but totally doable if you've been working on subies for a while.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$1500 for an Exedy? Where were you seeing that!?

I just bought an Exedy Stage 1 for my 6spd back in October and only came out to $464.85 from Oakos.

Gl on the 6spd swap, its a LOT of work but totally doable if you've been working on subies for a while.

The Exedy stage 1 is only rated for OEM torque levels. I have a 500+ build planned for the states so I wanted to buy once and hopefully be done. A 500+ rated Exedy is $1000+.

I'm not too worried about the swap. I know my way around a set of tools and my Subaru. I also have a very experienced friend lending me his expertise so it'll be an insightful day with some learning along the way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a BW EFR 7163 sitting in a box waiting for its place on the car. I've been researching parts an have a plan for a lowmount foglight setup tuned for E85. Track days await.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts