Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I'm so far into this thing I can't sell it, much less trade. I'd feel like I'm starting over :lol:

The power steering pump has a pretty loud whine on startup in <40 degree weather, but otherwise it's pretty good. I don't think it's shuddered at all. I wonder if this rack will finally kill the pump off...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
After three months of this:

I did the head gaskets, put a new radiator in, and a few other goodies:

Fortune Auto Fortune 500 coilovers!

I anti seized the snot out of them.

Now Toaster runs!

And now set at a good ride height:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks! Your FXT's definitely coming along too!

And those TE37's will go back on once my wife burns through these tires :)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Haha, I don't think they'd quite match your rally style anyway :)

Because there is no black Forester STI in Japan, I got everything new and repainted it.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Saturday I had some spare time, so I poked around Toaster a bit more:

And Toaster now has the honor of being the first car that I've installed all the parts I had on!

·
Premium Member
2.5RS
8,441 Posts
Need info on the Steering Wheel Swap!

Being that your Fox is an 05, was the OEM Steering wheel charge a single plug/stage?

Did you just swap the charge onto the STi Center Section?

Did you need to re-wire the STi Cruise Stalk?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The steering wheel was a single charge, but I was able to swap the charges with the dual charge STi wheel. But since mine is an 05, the cruise stalk is directly plug and play.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
Photobucket somewhat ruined my desire to keep my journals going, and I've been looking for an adequate host to move over to.

Fortunately I found a Photobucket add-in that enables embedding again, so if you do have a desire to look through my prior journal posts, check one out for your browser. I've moved to imgur for new images which unfortunately doesn't allow for the organization I had with Photobucket, but it works.

There haven't been many updates regarding Toaster, but here are a few pictures:

We moved! I have a decent garage!

Toaster also rolled over to a fairly even number on mileage.

The biggest mod that isn't pictured is Toaster is now equipped with a baby seat!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thanks guys! This garage is much cleaner, and I have more room to work. I've got some big plans for that truck too, but I probably won't get to it for a few years.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Toaster's trans started making a bit of noise on deceleration while in gear, and I had drawn a line in the sand about not putting any more effort into it. Over the course of last year, I started keeping an eye out for a six speed, then one popped up. After some drama involving claims of snow and being closed (at a junkyard no less), Omiotek and I drove up and took a look at this:

Some brotato had his 07 STI burn down. The interior had a Crown Royal shift boot, so yeah. Initially they had told us they didn't want us coming up there because they hadn't separated the engine and trans yet, which would take several hours. We were pretty confused and told them that separation would take at most twenty minutes, and they relented and allowed this deal to take place.

That Junior Fire! :biglaugh:

Omiotek and I had the trans popped off in about the promised 20 minutes, and it took us that long because the turbo brackets were in the way. They junkyard employees looked at us like we were wizards. Apparently every turbo Subaru they'd ever bought and parted out had involved them prying the pull clutches apart without removing the clutch pin.

I picked up another manual 2005 Forester XT, fixed it up, and my wife drove it a bit while Toaster would be down. Work on Toaster started.

Draining, disassembling, everything:

I had to dremel out the melted VSS:

Installed a Dom mod:

Then, like an idiot, dragged the six speed along my concrete garage floor with a bolt halfway into the transmission, breaking a bolt hole off of the transmission casting:

Omiotek was super helpful and welded that back up for me. Lesson learned.

Once I got the transmission in, I deleted those pesky subframe spacers:

Then buttoned the car all up!

My son likes DCCD.

As for driving impressions, the subframe spacer deletion gives me a huge boost in confidence while cornering. It's hard to describe, but the car just doesn't feel as wallowing, and turn in feels sharper. This is on the same suspension I had before too. You can also run the STi steering linkage when you delete the spacers, so steering feel is improved as well.

Otherwise, Toaster has been dutifully ferrying my family around. And apparently getting spotted on random Facebook groups with "WHAAAA GIRLS DRIVE SUBARUS!" subjects.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts