Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It's running, albeit leaking and burning some oil simultaneously. I changed the PCV and discovered that the hose between the block and PCV is cracked, so I have that on order.

Additionally, I think I have a huge boost leak, like in the approximate quantity of all the boost. I may not have tightened down the intercooler enough, I'll be verifying that tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, I found out where all my boost was going:

The TMIC was thieving it all. Fixed that by resetting the rubber gasket and throwing in a bolt from the donor WRX and it's boosting again :)

I also figured out why Toaster's brakes were sporadically engaging... Blasted hill holder! Disconnected that and I'm ready to rock until I find a spring to replace the worn and stretched one. Somehow, I think my wife and I will survive without that little piece of technology until I fix it :lol:

·
Registered
'99 BDP Impreza RS
1,270 Posts
Looks to be a nice (though a pain in the ass) build so far. Reminds me of a local guy here in GB who used to have a fozzy like yours, I think with an EJ257. He painted it matte black and called it burnt toast. :lol:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks, although it's more of a rebuild than a build :lol: I'm just trying to get the thing to a reliable state for my wife.

Currently, the thing smokes a little off boost, which is rather weird. I just replaced the PCV, and that didn't take care of it. It seems at this point that it's probably the turbo...

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,871 Posts
I have my td04 still but you could always vf and sti tmic it too like Josh said

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I didn't check the down pipe, but there was a significant amount of oil in the intercooler. If it were the turbo, I'd kind of also expect it to make more smoke on boost, and it doesn't.

If the turbo does end up being the culprit as I think it is, I'll likely pull Artoo's TD04 off for Toaster and find something nice to put in its place :)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
BTW, I was comparing the '06-07 WRX TMIC vs. the XT TMIC, and it's identical except for one spot: the BPV mounting. I find that annoying, as the XT TMIC has studs for the BPV and the WRX TMIC can use the same BPV as the STI.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm currently running an 07 STI TMIC with an 07 WRX BPV and BPV hose, it just didn't occur to me that the XT would be in any way different.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks, he did a good job! I don't know how long it'll hold up to winter rigor, but I figure the matte white will pop nicely against the black.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Longer than it would've taken to just mask the tire off with note cards to prevent overspray :lol:

We just used a wire brush to lightly scuff the stuff off, it didn't put up too much of a fight.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts