Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks guys! I haven't had much to do while waiting for my bell housing to be swapped, so I took a little time on the TMIC. It was maybe a couple hours with a Swiss Army knife and a small flat head screwdriver.

I'd like to think it bumped up the efficiency a little.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Turns out the transmission wouldn't go into reverse, likely because of a messed up reverse fork from the replacement case halves.

Dropped the trans again:

Now I wait for the reverse fork to be replaced.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it :)

I'm pretty hopeful that once this is resolved, everything should assemble without issue and we'll be left with a solid car that's reliable for quite some time.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks to Gamblor and my wife, the trans is back in, now with reverse! Unfortunately, I have to do the axle seals in it, so I'll be picking those up today and hopefully getting them in. This weekend will hopefully conclude with this car running.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gamblor and I got the motor back into the Forester yesterday, then, PMJKKL and petrosexual came over and helped bring the car to this state:

It started up without issue, but I've got a slight coolant leak to resolve and a P2021 TGV code that I'll probably just turn off when I have the car tuned. Getting there!

Oh, and while the car has been down some new residents moved in:

Yes, that is two separate nests. They were promptly evicted.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I resolved the coolant leak, then tried to move the car only to drag the rear wheels. Turns out the brakes seized up horribly, and upon further investigation, the driver's side parking brake seized in partnership with the passenger side rear caliper. Fortunately, the donor WRX was more than willing to give up a replacement rear caliper :)

Next up: Tuning out the TGV code and replacing the vacuum line the prior owner broke and then taped off.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, I drove it a couple miles today! The motor feels great, as should be expected for a new short block. It'll get a base tune tonight to flash out the TGV code, and then I'll be continuing with the break in.

Also, it finally has a name: Toaster! Partly named because of looks, partly named because we've been watching Battlestar Galactica and this thing could very well be trying to kill us :lol:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The TGV plates were removed by the previous owner, and upon reassembly the car started throwing a code for the bank 2 sensor. I tried reseating it, but it didn't go away. Since they're gone, I'll just flash them out.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,872 Posts
ahh, and what was up with the oil pan? I know sti headers won't fit because of it, are you gonna just return the pickup or get a sti pan? I want to know if I swap the pans will the 255 headers still fit

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The big issue for me was the Killer B pickup I bought. The pickup was advertised by a vendor as supporting all EJ25 turbo pans, but the Forester EJ255 runs the same pan as the EJ205. I wanted to use that pickup, so I bought an STI oil pan, dip stick, and tube. One funny thing to note is that the WRX EJ255 comes with the STI oil pan, only the Forester and maybe the LGT EJ255's have the EJ205 pan.

The car already came with an STI header/uppipe combo, which the only difference for was the lack of a pre-turbo catalytic converter. Running aftermarket headers, however, would require the EJ255/257 WRX STI pan.

So you're swapping your FXT drive line into your Impreza? Isn't the FXT a CANBUS car, or is it a normal harness?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Oh, so it's the same as the Impreza pre-08 EJ255/257 harnesses? Sweet. At least your FXT will have given a lot to your Impreza, I hated seeing that thing go. Your journal was one of the main reasons I have mine.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts