Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2641 - 2660 of 2670 Posts

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,643 (Edited)
SPOILER: No shots of a turbo Forester in this post :(

It's been a string of bad luck since December with my fleet. Mysti remains engine-less, Dazy remains turbo-less, and most of the funds set aside for both have been depleted working on what you'll see in this post, and what you'll see in one soon to come that should have the exact opposite tone!

7 DAYS after repairing most of the front suspension on Luigi (the silver 2000 SF), she died on me sitting at a drive-thru, and would not restart. Being so close to the building, I couldn't even open the driver's door to push-of-shame us away; the employees had to do it.

I knew immediately what had happened - the faint ticking and buzzing sounds of ball bearings flinging around the timing belt case moments before disaster... it could only be one thing...

(After a skillful tow from AAA right into my garage:

The belt looked to had been replaced, but not the idlers. I pulled a few from my spare collection, and she did fire up after resetting timing, but reeked of fuel and was missing everywhere.

After disassembly, I was pleased to see only one head was affected, and only one set of exhaust valves would be needed. I have a few sets of these heads to pull spare parts from, including valves! Pretty coincidental that I had just repaired my first broken timing belt Subie not 6 months prior (the red WRX flip), so I had all tools and experience on hand to complete this emergency repair on one of my drivers. :sunny:

Before/after a trip on the brass wire wheel bench grinder. This engine ate coolant for breakfast and oil for lunch (more on that later...)

Give me dat hand-lap

I redid both heads while I had the valve grinding equipment out, why not?

In the middle of this nightmare, I ray of hope. A GD WRX had been sitting for a while on our lot and froze at least one of its beautiful calipers. All 4 repalaced with brand new OEMs, and the old ones went right into the dumpster not my garage :drunk:

They'll need a rebuild, but I couldn't care much less. These will be going on Dazy, if that project ever gets started :lol:

Block-sanded the heads. They were slightly warped from a blown head gasket; it took the better part of a day to get them square by hand but I was pleased with the results.

Autolites... :screwy:

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,644
After ^^^ that fun detour, it was time to get Luigi passed state inspection, which meant fixing a very leaky exhaust and fuel filler neck. I managed to zap together an exhaust using pieces I had laying around; sounds great and is CEL free!

Worst welds of the bunch - I'm not perfect :)

This knock off header was off by 1/2" between the head span, no wonder I couldn't get it to fit for the life of me!

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,645
After situating Luigi, I had to put some hours in on Dazy, or as I've been calling her lately: Felony. LOUD, catless exhaust, limo tint, pull-me-over body kit, she's just asking for trouble. I decided to tackle the arthritis-rich stance-nation suspension setup I inherited with her first.

Also decided to tackle the oil leak dripping straight onto the header (you can see the black stain on the heat tape:

I sure seems like it's coming from the oil pump :(. The p/o states the oil and water pumps had just been replaced with the timing belt within a year. Great. More shoddy work to redo!
But then...

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,646
You guessed it. SEVEN MOTHERF DAYS LATER

WHAT THE HELL LUIGI.

Heard a brief knock during my 25 mile commute, and knew I was going to need a motor, soon. I didn't realize it would be at the 20 mile point of said commute :(.

Over the next 48 hours I managed to block-swap her with an EJ251 block I happen to have lying around from a previous project. Anyone remember the H6 Outback, Olivia? Her heart now pounds in Luigi's bay.

For those keeping score at home, that's two motor pulls in 4 months. To put that in perspective, I only pulled Mysti's motor twice in 4 years. Once to swap her, once to find a broken transmission underneath.

The Felpro gasket set I used (to fix Luigi on the cheap, the only and last time I stray from OEM gaskets) had poor-fitting valve seals, and he developed quite an appetite for oil after repairing the broken timing belt. We tried to stay on top of it, buying time for another engine pull, but he didn't make it that long.

Beautiful, OEM seals:

The only real difference in the Outback and Forester block was this PCV/breather thing. I didn't care enough to research it to even find out the name, I just made a hybrid version using both cars parts.

I ended up using silicone to finish this seal, I promise.

Deja vu...

Back to a runner. Again.

That's my car life update up until 3 days ago. Welcome to now!

I promise my next post will have good news... I promise...

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
PCV ports are the devil

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
Most dealer service calls for an "inspection" of the idler. Which means to the tech "yep spins good to go" Then sometime following that first initial timing belt service the cog idler on the waterpump fails. Its pretty much a guaranteed thing and when it tends to happen the cars are usually getting up there in mileage so the non enthusiast owners just elect to scrap the car rather than shell out the 2k+ of dealer charges to fix the bent valves. Ive pulled so many ejs out of the junkyard that are like this, Had my good friends car which had the timing belt done by the dealer before I met him, eat some valves. was under a year after the service, they covered the warranty on the timing belt that was destroyed but wouldn't touch the engine problems that were caused by their jackassery.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,651
those pcv port pop right out with a slide hammer w/vise grip attachment
THANK YOU for this. I finally have an excuse to buy a slide hammer! :)

PCV ports are the devil
How did THAT happen? Slip while trying to manhandle it?

Most dealer service calls for an "inspection" of the idler. Which means to the tech "yep spins good to go" Then sometime following that first initial timing belt service the cog idler on the waterpump fails. Its pretty much a guaranteed thing and when it tends to happen the cars are usually getting up there in mileage so the non enthusiast owners just elect to scrap the car rather than shell out the 2k+ of dealer charges to fix the bent valves. Ive pulled so many ejs out of the junkyard that are like this, Had my good friends car which had the timing belt done by the dealer before I met him, eat some valves. was under a year after the service, they covered the warranty on the timing belt that was destroyed but wouldn't touch the engine problems that were caused by their jackassery.
That's crazy :screwy:. You'd think the dealer of all places would look after the longevity of your car :(

Wow I am tired just reading about all these pulls
I got tired just posting about them! I can't wait to get back to showing you guys all the cool stuff that goes on in my garage, whenever I can get back to that! :)

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Vice grips let loose and caught the edge of the bellhousing. I don't remember what clean knuckles look like. ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,390 Posts
Motors on mover dollies. OMG I am not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 motors and 1 transmission on those, then 3 motors and another transmission on motor stands.... oh the horror of making room :)

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,000 Posts
so much for a car hobby huh! nice work and nice car cave, congrats!

2641 - 2660 of 2670 Posts