Normally, I don't care for GD scoops on anything other than a GD. Further than that, I normally don't care for any exterior parts installed on body styles they weren't designed for.
But on this SF... it just works. It wasn't installed correctly, but that's okay. It'll do for now, and saves me the trouble of cutting a hole in my hood.
I was really hoping to be elbow deep in the swap by now, but other cars have called for attention first. Priority #1 was clearing out some of the deadwood in the garage, starting with the black SF.
I harvested what I could, especially anything 5MT related, and didn't leave much on the bone for the scrap guy, but it was also free to him so I didn't feel too bad.
"Hey lemme just swap the front axles real quick" on the silver DD SF quickly turned into taking both front knuckles off the car to refresh ball joints, bearings, inner and outer tie rods, and even a front brake job as the cherry on top.
This wasn't exactly ideal, as it meant I had to daily drive the very loud, tinted, airbagless, inspectionless, blue rice box in the meantime. To think, I'll be tripling the power, quieting it down, and ADDING catalytic converters at the same time! :lol:
Finally found a reason to buy this thing *hearteyes emoji*
Nexmo.co and Xise came by to assist with these properly rusty New England knuckles. Plenty of broken bolts to weld and drill out. I'm glad this drill press is continuing to pay for itself!
Yes, that's a high speed steel drill bit. Yes, it did an awful job of drilling through a grade 8 bolt. Yes, I found my nice set of cobalt bits after we drilled out all 5 bolts between both knuckles. :lol:
I picked up an Oxy/MAPP torch kit that I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen popping up in your local hardware store. I've been itching to try it out, and I'm pleased to report it got this knuckle hot enough that even the ball joint pinch bolt let go without breaking. I was shocked. This is a perfect alternative to an Oxy/Acetelyne torch kit that I just can't seem to justify getting for my home garage.
I even splurged a little bit on this Company23 ball joint puller. 10/10 would buy again.
We used a 30mm socket to press the hub out of the bearing and a 1-3/4" socket to press the bearing out of the knuckle. A bearing separator pulled the inner race off the hub nicely.
We reused one of the old inner races as a spacer to press the new inner races onto the hubs. A few minutes with a dremel and we had enough shaved off the inner wall so it didn't get pressed on in the process.
New bearing going into the knuckle (inside out)
New inner race and seal onto the hub
And then smushing it altogether - a 32mm and the DIY spacer worked perfectly here. We torqed the axle nut to OEM spec to finish seating everything together
A couple of new balls and they're ready to go back on the car.
All torqued, pinned, staked, and aligned. Life was good when I took this picture.
And then life wasn't so good during these.
Yup, that's a bent knuckle. Still not certain when exactly this happened, but the knuckle was either dropped on the ground or pressed incorrectly, causing the lower caliper bracket mount to bend. No other solution but to replace the entire knuckle .
Fortunately, I have 3 Foresters worth of parts laying around my house right now, and a spare was located and all the brand new parts were swapped over in the same evening.
That's all the updates I have for now; I'm hoping to break ground on the swap within the next week or two!