Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
Glad you are able to enjoy the floor mats. I am humbled by the generous responses related to the project and am glad everyone can complete another step in their restorations.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The master of breaking shit strikes again. Got the broken sway bar bolt out. Unfortunately, I took the nut that is welded to the frame with it. Fawwwwwkkkkkk. Any good suggestions? I do have people who are good enough to do almost anything, so feel free to suggest the best solution not the best solution I'll actually be able to handle. Oh, and this is on the passenger side, so this happens to be the bolt that also bolts the canister to the frame.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
The master of breaking shit strikes again. Got the broken sway bar bolt out. Unfortunately, I took the nut that is welded to the frame with it. Fawwwwwkkkkkk. Any good suggestions? I do have people who are good enough to do almost anything, so feel free to suggest the best solution not the best solution I'll actually be able to handle. Oh, and this is on the passenger side, so this happens to be the bolt that also bolts the canister to the frame.

View attachment 86814
In situations like these, I tend to drill a hole through the top of the unibody to reach the nut and extract it that way. Then replace with a lock washer/bolt setup. Alternatively, a nut can be rewelded on (but I try and minimize the size of my holes as much as possible and go for the latter alternative).

Yours seems..pretty interesting. Did you pull the nut through the bottom of the frame rail? If so, that frame rail most certainly should be repaired with new metal as it is compromised from the rust.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
In situations like these, I tend to drill a hole through the top of the unibody to reach the nut and extract it that way. Then replace with a lock washer/bolt setup. Alternatively, a nut can be rewelded on (but I try and minimize the size of my holes as much as possible and go for the latter alternative).
View attachment 86815
Yours seems..pretty interesting. Did you pull the nut through the bottom of the frame rail? If so, that frame rail most certainly should be repaired with new metal as it is compromised from the rust.
Excuse my inability to explain in advanced, but when I used the extractor, the nut-thing snapped off, and I had to pull the extractor and nut into the frame and pull it out of the hole in which the canister rests.
Head Helmet Jaw Wood Space

The small hole is where the canister/sway bar bracket bolts up. The big hole is where the canister slides in. Like I said, I had to push the extractor up into the frame and pull it out the big hole. My initial thought was to just get a nut and use a long ratchet or wrench to hold the nut while I tightened the bolt. If that would even work, it would be annoying because unless I can get to the wrench through the canister hole to hold the nut, I would need to take the whole bumper off to work on it again. The picture is making the rust look much worse than it is.

Edit: I also want to note that I am explaining what you probably think is obvious because it wouldn't be obvious to me. I realized after I wrote this that I could probably take a picture of a random hole on this car, and you'd be able to say, "that's a picture of ____ hole" without seeing anything other than the hole. It took me like 10 minutes to realize where that picture was even though you told me exactly where it was. lol

Double Edit: I'm really car/tool/hardware/ illiterate. To give you an idea, I had to look up what a lock washer is. I texted my buddy with your response, telling him what you said and that I only partially understood you at first, and he basically said, "I'll show you in person" because he knows me well enough not to waste his time trying to explain it to me without me seeing it first-hand. I mention all this not because I want you to explain simple things to me, but because I want you to know that any dumb response I make is a result of me being a super noob.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
That's okay, we are all here to help :). We all started somewhere and its great that you are willing to learn and take this on yourself. I am by no means an expert nor a mechanic, I just try and share similar experiences that I have overcome as I have wrenched on my car overtime.

As mentioned, the two options I would explore are either A. cutting an access hole from the top. B. welding a nut from the access hole or some method of locking fastener. Sounds like you are in good hands with your buddy.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finally, some progress on re-painting the car. I miss driving the car a lot. It is actually making me sad. Took three full coats of paint stripper and a few touch ups before I ran out of daylight.

Plant Wheel Plant community Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Tire Photograph Vehicle Table Car Hood Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

While I was doing this, my father was most likely breaking clips and marking out the dents.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car

I'm like 80 percent sure I didn't break anything or mess anything up this time. Let's hope. Father is coming by tomorrow to show me what to do for the rest of the door.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Progress. Doors and Hood completely stripped and primed. One coat of self-etching primer, two coats of primer. Ready to be edged with paint.

Plant Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Motor vehicle Hood Green Automotive design Textile Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Fender Motor vehicle Musical instrument Car Automotive lighting Yellow Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Of course there are issues. When I was sanding the doors down, it appears that there was rust on the bottom of the door, enough that I was able to sand through. A little complicated to fix, apparently.

Sleeve Beige Khaki Collar Linens Rectangle Beige Linens Collar Tints and shades

Here's what I have learned from a professional bodyman as of this point (supposed to be taken light-heartedly):
  1. When you break a clip, always blame the person you are working with, even if they were nowhere near the clip when you broke it. Who needs clips when you can plastic weld them later, anyway?
  2. Always claim you gave someone more tape than you actually gave them. This applies to every material, but tape is the preferred material to harp on.
  3. The 4 to 1 to 1 primer ratio is best done by eyeballing it.
  4. Store clear chemicals in bottles that originally had clear substances in them (like a water bottle).

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Doors, Hood, Fenders edged.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

And USPS strikes again. I don't think the actual rocker is damaged on the end that I need, but it's annoying that they can't handle simple tasks and think that stamping "received damaged" without doing anything about it is acceptable.

Cabinetry Wood Shelving Rectangle Grey Font Material property Paper Paper product Circle White Rectangle Carnivore T-shirt Font

Not a ton of progress, otherwise. It's been pretty hot. Though, I did buy the GD 5 speed shift knob (same as GC but with black stitching) and used my Ford points that I didn't know I had to get a "Carbon Fiber" shift knob and a cargo mat for my Fiesta for free.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I wish I could remove the timestamps from my journal so I didn't know how long this was taking :) . No progress on the painting. But, I did spend some money! I don't think I'm that interested in fully restoring the engine bay appearance, but there are a lot of parts that are just way to cheap to pass up. I could have hand sanded them and painted them myself, but I have a feeling they wouldn't look nearly as good. And those prices. I'm still amazed at how cheap some of the parts for our cars are new from Subaru.
  • Battery Holder (82182AA040): $8.66
  • Battery Rod (82161AA040): $2.71
  • Solenoid Valve Bracket (14874AA213): $19.92
  • Belt Cover (73770AC010): $5.76
  • Belt Cover AY (34423AA014): $12.00
Tool Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bag Gas Lock Machine

I also ordered 6 spoiler stickers from Vigg Designs. I picked Vigg because of a 15-year-old post on Nasioc. Would I recommend them? Maybe. Nothing in the ordering process went wrong, but I wasn't wowed by the experience either. I got the decals in the end. I picked the two gold colors and one silver color that they had in stock, which made all six stickers cost something like $40 shipped. Special thanks to Silverbullet, again, who just seems to have the answers to every question. Here's the thread for reference: 2.5 RS Spoiler Stickers .

Now I need to decide which one I am going to use. TE07 wheels might call for gold decals? But the traditionalist in me might stick with the silver ones. With the rate this is going, I won't need to decide for a few years ;) .

Rectangle Wood Font Material property Publication

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
188 Posts
I wish I could remove the timestamps from my journal so I didn't know how long this was taking :) . No progress on the painting. But, I did spend some money! I don't think I'm that interested in fully restoring the engine bay appearance, but there are a lot of parts that are just way to cheap to pass up. I could have hand sanded them and painted them myself, but I have a feeling they wouldn't look nearly as good. And those prices. I'm still amazed at how cheap some of the parts for our cars are new from Subaru.
  • Solenoid Valve Bracket (1487AA213): $19.92
View attachment 87549 View attachment 87550 View attachment 87551 View attachment 87552 View attachment 87553 View attachment 87554

I also ordered 6 spoiler stickers from Vigg Designs. I picked Vigg because of a 15-year-old post on Nasioc. Would I recommend them? Maybe. Nothing in the ordering process went wrong, but I wasn't wowed by the experience either. I got the decals in the end. I picked the two gold colors and one silver color that they had in stock, which made all six stickers cost something like $40 shipped. Special thanks to Silverbullet, again, who just seems to have the answers to every question. Here's the thread for reference: 2.5 RS Spoiler Stickers .

Now I need to decide which one I am going to use. TE07 wheels might call for gold decals? But the traditionalist in me might stick with the silver ones. With the rate this is going, I won't need to decide for a few years ;) .

View attachment 87555
Are some digits missing from the solenoid valve bracket ? I can`t get it to work, by part number or description . Thanks

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
Are some digits missing from the solenoid valve bracket ? I can`t get it to work, by part number or description . Thanks

• Solenoid Valve Bracket (1487AA213): $19.92
View attachment 87549 View attachment 87550 View attachment 87551 View attachment 87552 View attachment 87553 View attachment 87554

View attachment 87555
I perhaps think one of the easiest ways to clean up the engine bay, which involves relatively little work, is by changing out the fluid containers.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks Silverbullet
Thanks to all of you. Fixed the number in my post.

And replacing the tanks is a great idea. Before I do something stupid, can the top shell of the power steering fluid be changed without draining all the fluid or making a mess? (part numbers, for my future reference since I am here: 34441AC030 upper, 34441AC040 lower). Any gasket to change if I do change the top?

The Windshield washer tank is discontinued (86610FA080), but the one that fits the wagon is still available (86610FC000). Would the wagon one fit?

For my future reference, Coolant tank (45151FA050)

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
And replacing the tanks is a great idea. Before I do something stupid, can the top shell of the power steering fluid be changed without draining all the fluid or making a mess? (part numbers, for my future reference since I am here: 34441AC030 upper, 34441AC040 lower). Any gasket to change if I do change the top?
You will need to replace most components in this diagram, minus the bolts and caps. The remaining are gaskets that I personally would change out to avoid any headaches in the future.

Short answer, no there is no easy way to change out the reservoir without draining the fluid. Quite frankly, for the cost ($200+,even after a discount), I would find a used unit from the West Coast or down South that is in better shape. I sourced one from California for $20 and it came with the pump as well.

The Windshield washer tank is discontinued (86610FA080), but the one that fits the wagon is still available (86610FC000). Would the wagon one fit?
No, as the wagon tank has an additional pump for the rear wiper. The single pump tanks are not discontinued, you were just looking at the entire assembly that includes the pump and hose--which is discontinued.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finally, my dad decided we'll actually get work done if we trailer it to his house. So the next step is going to be to help him clean his garage so that it can actually go in the garage.

While I'm waiting, I took the RS for a quick drive. I'm starting to think he might think that I like my Feista ST better...(which will never happen)

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood

I'm also going to make a trip to the gas station to get some ethanol free gas since I have a feeling it will probably be sitting until next Spring.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
"I'm going to have this re-painted by Jan 1." -My Father

Progress. Thank you, Subie Savers. Left rocker was used for fabrication of both the left side and to make a makeshift piece for the other side; right quarter patch panel used instead of the full quarter I bought a few years ago.

Road surface Font Gas Asphalt Motor vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire

Glued a piece in under the quarter:

Tire Car Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Prepped some of the rust with some professional rust converter:

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Paint Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree Tints and shades Paint Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt Paint Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Automotive tire

41 - 58 of 58 Posts