Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,582 Posts
Happy Easter! Is there a 1996-1999 Outback wagon in that same yard? If so, it's rear sway is bigger.* And the bar won't be physically wider like the 02 wrx sedan bar will be.

*The very, very earliest of the 02 wrx sedan's got big phat sways. They did away with them because Americans were wrapping their cars around trees. The 02-07 WRX Wagon got the 20mm bars, and its width is the same as yours. That's what I use on my cars.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Happy Easter! Is there a 1996-1999 Outback wagon in that same yard? If so, it's rear sway is bigger.* And the bar won't be physically wider like the 02 wrx sedan bar will be.

*The very, very earliest of the 02 wrx sedan's got big phat sways. They did away with them because Americans were wrapping their cars around trees. The 02-07 WRX Wagon got the 20mm bars, and its width is the same as yours. That's what I use on my cars.
Come on, Mike. Just when I thought I understood something. I believe you because you know everything, but here is the thread I found my info at: Stock FSB and RSB sizes .

So what I am looking for? lol. I don't want one from an 02 sedan? I want one from a Wagon? And that will fit better? Or from an 96-99 Outback Wagon (and when I search car-part, is that considered a Legacy or an Impreza)? And when I get to rounding every bolt when I take the old one off, should I buy all the hardware from whatever car I go with with the sway bar or can I use the existing stuff? I appreciate it!

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,582 Posts
Haha. The 02-07 WRX sedan (and all GDs, for that matter), had wider track suspension. You can certainly bolt a wider sway to your car, it fits on the outsides of the c-links now. The downside (from what a very smart suspension guru told me) is that under compression, the wider track sway bar on a narrow track car loses it's advantage (of grip? I'm not smart enough to ask the right questions re suspension).

He said to use all narrow track or all wide track parts (with preference towards the latter for racing) on our cars.

That link is partially wrong. Look down further to see corrections. You do want a sway bar from a WRX GG Wagon since that has the narrow track like our cars. And those are 20mm. In absence of that, a 1996-1999 Outback wagon has an 18mm RSB. Your link says the the RS RSB was 13mm? My RS one was tiiiiny. So I can believe that. 18mm is good enough to cause oversteer. It's what's still on my old OBS, and made for lively handling. ;)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Haha. The 02-07 WRX sedan (and all GDs, for that matter), had wider track suspension. You can certainly bolt a wider sway to your car, it fits on the outsides of the c-links now. The downside (from what a very smart suspension guru told me) is that under compression, the wider track sway bar on a narrow track car loses it's advantage (of grip? I'm not smart enough to ask the right questions re suspension).

He said to use all narrow track or all wide track parts (with preference towards the latter for racing) on our cars.

That link is partially wrong. You do want a sway bar from a WRX GG Wagon since that has the narrow track like our cars. And those are 20mm. In absence of that, a 1996-1999 Outback wagon has an 18mm RSB. Your link says the the RS RSB was 13mm? My RS one was tiiiiny. So I can believe that. 18mm is good enough to cause oversteer. It's what's still on my old OBS, and made for lively handling. ;)
My hero. I've spent enough money and made enough mistakes on this project already. Well worth it, of course. But it's nice not to make the mistake in the first place. That's my preference, anyway, especially considering I am bound to make more mistakes later.

I'm very glad for you and others on this forum. There's so much to learn, and I'd be so incredibly lost without this place.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,582 Posts
Thank you for the kind words but I definitely don't know a ton about Imprezas. I've been messing with The GC's daddy for much longer. The almighty BC! Luckily the BC and GC (and etc) are pretty similar. ;)

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
Just read through your journal--seems like a fun project and you're making good progress.

You can actually order a 20mm factory GC8 rear swaybar from the dealers here in the states. From what I've been told, this bar and the stock front RS bar are a perfect setup for spirited driving (not tracking). Look into this forum post here about the P11L springs created by 2pot. Lots of fantastic information in that thread about suspension setups for these cars--a must read.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just read through your journal--seems like a fun project and you're making good progress.

You can actually order a 20mm factory GC8 rear swaybar from the dealers here in the states. From what I've been told, this bar and the stock front RS bar are a perfect setup for spirited driving (not tracking). Look into this forum post here about the P11L springs created by 2pot. Lots of fantastic information in that thread about suspension setups for these cars--a must read.
You are 6 hours too late to save me $25 on brackets and bushings and 36 hours late on saving me $30 on an 18mm sway bar from a yard lol. But I'm dumb enough to keep going.

If the answer to this question is in the forum post you listed, sorry for asking in the first place. I imagine if it is a factory 20mm GC RSB that it should match the track of my car? (I hope that sentence makes sense). It's amazing how in over my head I am all the time; I know that's how you learn (sort of), but just when I think I have something figured out or think I made the best move, something else pops up.

I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
You are 6 hours too late to save me $25 on brackets and bushings and 36 hours late on saving me $30 on an 18mm sway bar from a yard lol. But I'm dumb enough to keep going.

If the answer to this question is in the forum post you listed, sorry for asking in the first place. I imagine if it is a factory 20mm GC RSB that it should match the track of my car? (I hope that sentence makes sense). It's amazing how in over my head I am all the time; I know that's how you learn (sort of), but just when I think I have something figured out or think I made the best move, something else pops up.

I appreciate the info.
In my opinion, no such thing as a bad question. That forum post is quite lengthy so I understand it can be a bit cumbersome to get through it all. To answer your question - yes, this bar matches the GC track width. It is a factory GC bar that came equipped on (I believe, not as well versed on the markets other than USDM) V3-V6 WRX's of the time. However, it is available in the US parts supply chain (JDM clear taillights are also like this for example, not offered here on any car but stocked here).

An easy way to tell if a part number is for a GC is if it has "FA" in the lettering. FE is GD chassic, FC is Forester, etc. Now, this is just a rule of thumb as some parts are shared between models, had revisions, etc.---but can serve as a good quick check. Just a quick fun fact for you.

Back to bars- still a worthy upgrade. Doesn't hurt to save some money going used. I am not sure of the differences exactly (heard both ways) of the GD vs GC bars, but it appears mike-tracy has covered that well for you. I would recommend getting new upgraded swaybar brackets of the later STI's (see: 20540FE200, 20540FE210) - much more stout than the earlier ones. Polyurethane swaybar bushings could also be good upgrade. I am the type of individual where, if I am in there I do everything.

Do you have any other suspension plans? This is an area I believe it is best to plan out and get everything at once versus bit by bit - but again, personal preference. Perhaps others here can provide insight into your plans.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In my opinion, no such thing as a bad question. That forum post is quite lengthy so I understand it can be a bit cumbersome to get through it all. To answer your question - yes, this bar matches the GC track width. It is a factory GC bar that came equipped on (I believe, not as well versed on the markets other than USDM) V3-V6 WRX's of the time. However, it is available in the US parts supply chain (JDM clear taillights are also like this for example, not offered here on any car but stocked here).

An easy way to tell if a part number is for a GC is if it has "FA" in the lettering. FE is GD chassic, FC is Forester, etc. Now, this is just a rule of thumb as some parts are shared between models, had revisions, etc.---but can serve as a good quick check. Just a quick fun fact for you.

Back to bars- still a worthy upgrade. Doesn't hurt to save some money going used. I am not sure of the differences exactly (heard both ways) of the GD vs GC bars, but it appears mike-tracy has covered that well for you. I would recommend getting new upgraded swaybar brackets of the later STI's (see: 20540FE200, 20540FE210) - much more stout than the earlier ones. Polyurethane swaybar bushings could also be good upgrade. I am the type of individual where, if I am in there I do everything.

Do you have any other suspension plans? This is an area I believe it is best to plan out and get everything at once versus bit by bit - but again, personal preference. Perhaps others here can provide insight into your plans.
Thank you! After your post, I did some research and found those part numbers (and others) on Demon's journal and put them all in my cart. I'll probably order them up this week. A bunch of really good info, so again, thank you. I know I know basically nothing, and I'm still impressed with how much I don't know (and please don't take that as me being hard on myself...just stating the facts, knowing that I just need to keep working at it!).

I want to upgrade the suspension, but everything about it is so daunting, so I have been dragging my feet. I pulled the trigger on the sway bar because it seemed straight forward enough. I bought aluminum C-links, but I couldn't figure out what I needed for poly bushings for that bar (or any bar lol), so I figured I would give up on that one for now. For suspension, I haven't really read anything as of this point because most of it is dense and mostly over my head. The goal would be to get something that would improve handling without compromising daily driving potential. I can handle a rough ride, but I'm not looking to track the thing or anything intense like that. Plus, once I get the point of even ordering the suspension, installing it will most likely be an adventure, as is every project I undertake that requires even a smidge of mechanical skill. I haven't even bothered asking here yet because I figured when summer came around I would have some time to do some reading and researching so I actually knew what questions to ask in the first place. Or, more likely, after not understanding after reading and researching, feeling better about asking since I at least gave it a good go in the first place :)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Special thanks to Mike and SilverBullet for putting me in the right direction.

Ordered the JDM sway bar, upgraded brackets, etc. Broke the head off the last bolt lolz. I was so excited: "this might be the first time I install something new (excluding maintenance stuff) without needing help!" [gets to last bolt. Spins a few times. Loud bang.] "no...please no...don't do this to me." [bracket falls...push everything back into garage and start doing yard work].

Oh well. In other fun news, I think a mouse might like my RS as much as me. I'm glad he picked inside the frame rather than inside the car.

Asphalt Road surface Tar Concrete Automotive tire

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was tricked into bringing the fenders to my father's house to sand them down. The trick was he really only wanted me to come over so that I could help him get his truck started. I wish I got pictures of the sparks as he tried to start it. "Start it...whoooooaaaa....okay, start it again..whoooooaaaa."

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Though, after 20 minutes of watching me struggle relatively speaking, he finally took them from me and mostly finished the job. He is taking them to his body shop tomorrow. I was supposed to take a picture of the two fenders in the box barely fitting in my Fiesta, but I forgot to. Instead, here's a picture of the clutter with the fenders removed, the big box being a quarter panel.

Wood Gas Font Art Machine Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

(yes, I know I am an animal for taking the pictures in different directions.)

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
341 Posts
Congrats, I love the older pickup trucks! Good luck with the fenders, they're fun to paint!

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
80 Posts
Looks great--that QP is very desirable these days. SRP is a fantastic color, I have felt it is one of the best on these cars.

Did you ever receive all the components for your RSB setup? I am curious as to how that went as well.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks great--that QP is very desirable these days. SRP is a fantastic color, I have felt it is one of the best on these cars.

Did you ever receive all the components for your RSB setup? I am curious as to how that went as well.
I did, and as you suggested, it looks like it is going to work great. Unfortunately, I broke the head off the last bolt on the bracket. My mechanical skill is like a 4/10, so there is zero chance I am getting it out without help. I bought the stuff my buddy needs, and once he is free, he'll extract the bolt for me. I just don't trust myself to do it, which is kind of the problem with cars in general because I am learning how to be a functioning human-being while being on my back and in tight spaces. I guess it is good that I know my limitations and know the potential consequences of messing up, which is a good thing, and it's good that I have at least two people in my life who do have mechanical skill when I do ultimately mess up. I actually bought a super cheap 2000 Forester so that I can "learn" knowing that if I mess something up, I'm not going to care.

That aside, I really appreciate the suggestion and the feedback. It looks like it is going to be awesome. I'm always amazed at just how amazing this community is.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
442 Posts
Yeah, bravo to all of those guys, I definitely need to get a set. Did you get the trunk mat too?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, bravo to all of those guys, I definitely need to get a set. Did you get the trunk mat too?
I did. It looks great, too. If I were on a budget, I'd probably pass on the trunk mat...but I keep telling myself that I am going to regret everything I don't buy now, so I said, "f' it", and bought both :) .

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
442 Posts
Why's that? Fit not as good on the trunk mat as the floor mats?

I keep telling myself that too, but then I don't listen and whatever it was ends up becoming NLA.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Why's that? Fit not as good on the trunk mat as the floor mats?

I keep telling myself that too, but then I don't listen and whatever it was ends up becoming NLA.
I haven't put it in yet (my trunk is in pieces for the repaint), but from the pictures, it looks like a nice fit. The two downsides for me: 1. weighs 8lbs 2. I'll see it only like once a month, at best. At first, I wasn't going to buy it, but then I saw the pictures of how nicely it fit and how good looked, and I caved.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts