Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my wife just got a job with the FBI, and she said she was gonna buy me the STI wanted, the other suby will stay in my family, but i may have a newer sti, i am extremely excited. sorry yall thanks for all the info, you all have been very helpful. its not for sure but we are looking at 90ish percent.
any suggestions on years or models. i was thinking prob 06 and up...

·
Registered
04jbp STi, 93L+01 RS, 08 zx10R
478 Posts
my personal pref is the gc8 body style sti's only in other countries...and the 04-05 and even though i think they shouldn't have gone with a wagon for the 08 its growing on me kinda.

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
First off, congrats!

Being a previous STi owner I can whole-heartedly say you'll love the STi. It's a great car, no matter what year you get. If you have a choice (flexible budget) between 04-08 then it's more on what you want. Will this be a DD? How important is comfort to you? Are you going to be modding it? Racing it? Let us know and we can help you narrow down your search.

If you're gas conscious you may want to think about picking up an older Impreza (L/Brighton/Outback) for a DD because I can tell you from experience, the STi is a hungry car even if you drive it off boost 99% of the time. I was averaging ~20 MPG in my '05 STi, but my 200,000+ mile L still gets 29-32 MPG. Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
The cond. of the car should be your number one concern. STI's and WRX's are magnets for stupid owners, wrecks, mods, abuse, and flying trough the air.

·
Rally Hopeful
1997 L White - 2004 STi WRB
560 Posts
I would say that the 05 is the Best for performance.... BUT... other than that I would probably get an 08. I own an 04 and love it, but in 05 they fixed the steering a bit, and added aluminum rear control arms... oh, and changed the front Diff as well, not sure if is necessarily better. (it still has the ability to do more rear bias in the DCCD as well!!) Oh, and an 05 comes with a Stereo 04 did not.

I dont think that the 06 and 07 add anything to the table (but worse looks!) But they do take some of the rear bias away from the 04 and 05. (fairly sure of this...)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i am not a fan of the wagon, so that rules that out.
i will be modding a bit but no serious racing for sure. i live in california in a wel populated area so rally racing is a bit out of the picture, that really doesnt fit into my budget. i am thinking black cause i already have a white bug eye

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
well, i am not a fan of the wagon, so that rules that out.
i will be modding a bit but no serious racing for sure. i live in california in a wel populated area so rally racing is a bit out of the picture, that really doesnt fit into my budget. i am thinking black cause i already have a white bug eye
So you just want a car to have fun with, correct?

·
Registered
2002, Impreza Ts, Red
281 Posts
I would say any bug-eye STi would be amazing. But the gc8 is the best looking. i would try and find 2000 coup, than do a complete STi swap and throw on the 22b widebody.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you just want a car to have fun with, correct?
correct.
unless i was paid money to race, or sponsered, then thats really what we are all doing, iis just having fun.
yeah i figured i would keep my old 03rs and get a newer one. something with more gitty up.
i was an old rx7 junky, i had 2 different gen3, so i love the HP. now i get both handling and gitty up.
i figured for about 20 i could get an 05 or up.
i just know you all know more about the imprezas than i do, thats why i ask, i am learnig.

·
Registered
252 Posts
07 has better gearing than the previous models... I believe, but they come with a problematic tune from the factory... Which if you plan on getting a protune than that wouldn't be a problem.

08s do have a good amount of storage space...

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
correct...yeah i figured i would keep my old 03rs and get a newer one. something with more gitty up.
You could sell your 03RS and get an older one, or an L and have that for a DD. This would free up even more "fun funds" for the STi and you'd fit in better here ;)

I kid, I kid, we love all RS' here...

As for your options, is $20k as much as you'd like to spend or could you inch up higher toward 23-25? If $20k is all you have (or want to spend) an 05 is going to be your best bet. With the average mileage you shouldn't have a problem finding one and as mentioned earlier, Subaru did make some notable improvements from 04 to 05 such as upgraded interior, stereo, MUCH stronger hubs which incidently changed the lug patter from 5x100 to 5x114. The best advice I can give you for your search is hold out for one that has been taken care of. Like someone else mentioned, these cars are affordable and fast so some real dick bags buy them and run them in to the ground. Find the right owner, perferably someone you can relate to or has the same taste in mods (if you don't mind buying one modded) or one that has never been modded. Your best place to start would be the IWSTI classifieds; they tend to be more mature over there than NASIOC.

Best of luck with your search and if you still want help please let us know!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could sell your 03RS and get an older one, or an L and have that for a DD. This would free up even more "fun funds" for the STi and you'd fit in better here ;)

I kid, I kid, we love all RS' here...

As for your options, is $20k as much as you'd like to spend or could you inch up higher toward 23-25? If $20k is all you have (or want to spend) an 05 is going to be your best bet. With the average mileage you shouldn't have a problem finding one and as mentioned earlier, Subaru did make some notable improvements from 04 to 05 such as upgraded interior, stereo, MUCH stronger hubs which incidently changed the lug patter from 5x100 to 5x114. The best advice I can give you for your search is hold out for one that has been taken care of. Like someone else mentioned, these cars are affordable and fast so some real dick bags buy them and run them in to the ground. Find the right owner, perferably someone you can relate to or has the same taste in mods (if you don't mind buying one modded) or one that has never been modded. Your best place to start would be the IWSTI classifieds; they tend to be more mature over there than NASIOC.

Best of luck with your search and if you still want help please let us know!
well i had planed on keeping my 03rs for the simple fact that i have put quite some personal time into the upkeep and mods, its kind of my baby, but i am sure that when i get my new wrx that will be my baby.
yeah 20 is my limit just cause i want to pay cash for a car more than that really i would have to finance, and i am not in the mood for any car payments.
i am gonna be honest, like i said i was a huge rx7 junky, and it is utterly impossible to find a 3rd gen, let alone one that had not been utterly douched by some jack off. so needless to say after a few years of looking the impreza really impressed me, now i am here.
i know searching for a car with a tight standard such as color makes it extremely tough. but since i am in no hurry that helps.
after some searching i think the 05 or 06 is my target area.
my options were either a later model sti or newer wrx. so i think the later is my best bet.
all that said what is the major differences between an 05 and 06 that would make one better than the other?
thank you for your sound input

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
Essentially the only difference between the 05 and the 06 are the exterior differences I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's mostly true then it comes down to personal preference.

It's good that you have time and specific wants! If you're paying $20K for a car you should at least get what you want ;)

·
Rally Hopeful
1997 L White - 2004 STi WRB
560 Posts
Quotes.....
-For 2006, the addition of a steering sensor input to the DCCD All-Wheel Drive system enhances power distribution response by more accurately relaying the car’s cornering situation.
-Complaints about poor visibility in last year's STI also prompted a return to a standard-size WRX hood scoop. Sad, but true.
-The improvements also allowed Subaru's engineers to change the standard torque split from 35-to-65 front-to-rear to 41-to-59 and give the DCCD system a greater range of torque distribution. (is it me... or what? umm 35-65 to 50/50 is more than 41-59 to 50/50) So,,, really its less control- Randogs statements)
-liquid-filled engine mounts have been added to reduce vibration
-a roof spoiler just above the rear window and an underbody diffuser.
- The 2006 STI rides an eighth of an inch lower on structurally stronger inverted struts that provide better control under load

http://www.modernracer.com/history/subaruimprezawrxsti2006history.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts