Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS, STM
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, this question's been asked a bunch of times, but I've been researching for a friggin' week and I couldn't find any straight answers. LOL. So here's the dilemma. I was looking into Phoenix Gold RSD65's. They're 6.5" components with a 2.87" mounting depth for the midbass speakers.

Now, I've heard conflicting answers on 2-3 Subaru boards. Some say "No more than 2.25" with spacers." Then I read, "No more than 2.75".", but I'm going to assume 2.75" and you'd have to use a 1/2" spacer to clear, I'm not even sure if that's just in general and what size spacer is required for THAT. Can anyone help me out? :blol:'

I just want to know what's the maximum depth (the speaker manufacturer's mounting depth, not after some funky calculations after variables like door pins, speaker spacers, etc). While I'm at it, it's a toss up between the RSD's, JBL GTO's, Kenwood Excelons (I know these fit w/o spacers, there's a guy who posted about them), and Pioneer/Premier TSD's. I just want a clear idea of what my choices are and I'm not stuck having to pick out components that suck, but I had to get them because they fit. I really don't want to do funky door modifications like extended door pins (I still don't get what and where those are exactly), adjust window tracking, or shave things off door panels. =/

I think there should be a sticky on this section that has a general guide of what fits, especially with common brands/models of components. I really just want to know what's the maximum depth I can fit with one set of Kartboy speaker spacers and hopefully an additional answer on what I can fit without spacers of any kind that drops right into the stock locations. Thanks!

· Premium Member
2001 2.5RS-T BRP
653 Posts
I have Diamond Hex600s (2.3" mounting depth) in my car with Kartboys spacers and they weren't thick enough to clear the window. I had to shim the Kartboy spacer out about 5mm to clear the glass. I didn't have to space the door card out to clear the speaker.

Oh yeah I forgot to add. If your speaker will fit in the stock spacer you don't even need the Kartboys.

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS, STM
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice. How's the Diamond Audio Hex's sound? I think you can get those at a reasonable cost nowadays. I was eyeing the ones with the silk dome tweeters. I heard a car with the metal tweeters and those just hurt my ears.

Bump! Anyone can shed some light? How about I list some mounting depths on stuff I'm looking at, but I'm not sure about the fitment. Someone who knows can tell me "yes" or "no" on any of these without door modifications besides a Kartboy spacer (or any spacer for that matter, but be sure to say how big or how many spacers are required). =)

Pioneer TSC160R (the Rev) - 2.34" (some say 2.4")
Orion HCCA 6.2 - 2.25"
Cerwin Vega V-Max65 - 2.5"
Alpine SPS-600C - 2.25"
Alpine SPR-17S - 2.375"
Polk Audio MMC6500 - 2.5" (2.68" with magnet boot)
Diamond Audio D362.5 - 2.3"
JBL P650C - 2.25"
Cadence FXC-6K - 2.25" (would prefer the CVL, but those are 2.66")
Memphis 15-PRCS6 - 2.5"
Morel Tempo 6 - 2.44"
RE Audio RE6.5 COMP - 2.4" (?)
Boston Acoustics SX60 - 2.31"

Thanks in advance. Otherwise I can consider the stuff that I'm fairly sure fits like DLS RS6's or CDT E61NEOs. Lower in the budget spectrum, JBL GTOs, Eclipse SP6500s, Kenwood Excelons, Polk db6501's (I've had lower end Polks in my old car several years ago, I thought they were okay), and Infinity References. I suppose anything 2.1" and below is safe with or without a spacer. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

· Registered
1999 2.5RS Silver
61 Posts
I'm curious as well, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on those Phoenix Golds. My brother just bought some so if I get a chance I'll test fit them in my doors and post back.

Is 1/2" the biggest spacer that will fit without hitting the door panel with the front of the speaker?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.