Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted a Subaru. I fell in love with the '04 STI while watching the WRC. I had to have one. But I was young and didnt know much about cars (still dont). Years later I decided that If I wanted one at all, it would have to be reasonable. I found a 2.5rs on craigslist.com and decided to check it out and fix it up. I've had the car about a month now and this is my journey down the road of turning my rs into a rally car!

The day I brought it home:

As of now, my current mods are humble, and as follows:

EXTERIOR:

JDM rear tails
JDM rear spats (paint matched)
Side skirts paint matched
Clear turn signals
side and boot WRX decals
STi version V spoiler
STi fog light covers and decals
Rally Armor Basic Mud Flaps (black)
Sparco Terras wrapped in BFGoodwrench G-Force

EXHAUST:

SUSPENSION:
Raceland Coilovers

DRIVELINE AND TRANSMISSION:
2003 WRX full transmission and drivetrain swap

ENGINE:
2003 EJ205

okay... It is not QUITE the end of 2012 and I haven't uploaded much about my car. I have a plan and it will most deff. take a while. (10/6/2012)

Just paid for my swap! Should be arriving in about a week or so and I'll start the process. Hopefully I can back away from the project long enough to snap some pictures and upload my progress! (5/30/2013)

As she currently sits

The Look Im going for:

It needed alot of work. I started right away. Here I am painting the front bumper. (I eventually painted the side skirts 74F to match)

The passanger side fog light was busted and the drivers side light was hazed over. I replaced the passanger side and then soon after I bought the STi fog covers so didnt bother replacing the drivers side light as of yet.

Here is a picture of it after I painted the wheels gold. I just bought a random gold Duplicolor can from Autozone.

Here is a shot of the STi fog covers and the pink Subaru badge. Oh yeah, and I got clear corner marker lights.

By this time I have already ordered a Borla UEL exhaust header and a Tsudo catback as well as a Version V spoiler from Andysautosport.com. The exhaust pieces arrived promptly and were installed. Sounded great!

Recieved my JDM tail lights and WRX boot and side panel decals. Removed the "SUBARU" and "2.5RS" emblems from the boot.

After getting the run around from Andysautosport.com for 6 MONTHS, I canceled my order and bought one from a member of this site. He wasn't planning on shipping all the way to North Carolina but I talked him into it! I am greatful he did! It was Aspen White when I got it but I wasted no time making it 74F. Installed it looks like this. (Also in this picture you can see the Tsudo Catback and the JDM rear spats that were painted and installed)

here is another current image from the side. You can see the WRX decal here.

So as of now, here is my goal. The beggining of next year (2013) I want to have a new engine in it. Swap from a WRX hopefully. Im not going to get crazy with this car but I do want some more get up and go and I LOVE the sound of a turbo! Then, when money permits, I want to get the Aerosim 22b widebody kit and install it. I know this will take some time and money but hey, this is a project car and it's what I want! After the kit is installed and the car is painted I am going to add the WRC rally Decals. Then I will have my dream rally car!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My latest upgrade are some Rally Armor Basic mud flaps. They are installed but need some adjusting. They scrape often! (10/6/2012)

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After installing my Rally Armor Basic Mud flaps. They are a bit low and scrape when I pull in a driveway or corner hard. Thinking of having them painted red. Anyone have any opinions about that?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Decided to black out my headlights. I thought it looked more aggressive to do so. I read the DIY thread about it and thought I'd give it a try.
First off, I set the oven temp to about 220F and went out and removed the headlights. Put them in the oven for about 12 min and (using oven mits) pulled the lens away from the housing. Worked just like the thread said it would! Then I removed the silver painted inserts that were about to get the black treatment!

The next step was to get that chrome paint off. The thread said sand it off, but I discovered that a rag with lacquer thinner wipes it right off!

Then I painted them black. Had a can of satin enamal and so I went with that.

Let them dry, replaced them, put the glass back on the housings and back in the oven they went for another 10 min to get the seal soft enough to squeeze back together. Now I have blacked out headlights!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought some Godspeed rear Lateral links and trailing arms. Should be getting them in a few days! Also have a rear wheel bearing to change. May write up a how to on that.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
Digging the progress man. Keep it up.

As far as painting the flaps go, it might be tough to find a paint that will stick. Maybe a trial run of the inside half of the front of a rear flap where no one will see it. It will get chipped up but it will be a quick test to see if your paint can take the flex.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my Lateral links and trailing arms in today! Hopefully Ill be installing these in the next few days! Waiting on a few more parts to come in so I can tackle it all at once!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, Havent updated in a while but I have the money saved for a swap. I am not going to be doing the work myself even though Id love to. I dont have the tools, time, or facilities to do the job right. So I am outsourcing it to a guy I've been talking to. He is looking for an Engine for me right now. Depending on what he finds I may either go with an EJ205 or 257. Depending on what my money can get me at the time. I got a three-pod gauge cluster for the center console and been collecting gauges. I'll be selling my Borla headers and Tsudo catback once the work is done!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay... wow. I haven't updated in a WHILE! I recently bought some Coilover suspension to replace the aged spring/strut combo I had. One had seized and didn't work at all. This I didn't even realize until I got them off.
Anyway, after doing some research, I decided to go with the basic set of coilovers from Raceland. I read a lot of good reviews so I decided to give them a try. About 565.00 shipped to my door, I thought that was a decent price.

How they looked when I got them all unpacked.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5rs.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The hardest part of the install was breaking the nuts loose! After that, the install was a snap. The basic setup from Raceland for the GC8 is ride height adjustable and camber adjustable in the front. I installed them, dialed the height I wanted (about 1" below stock) and took it for a drive! The ride was great. I really like the feel of them. Not too stiff but deff. a sporty feel. I could tell a big difference instantly. If you are in the market for some coilovers, and don't want to drop a lot of money, and not planning on doing a lot of heavy racing, I recommend the Coils from Raceland for sure.

How it sits with the coilovers. Sorry, no pics of the install.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.