Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tips/tricks I should be away of before I attempt this in the coming days? The engine should be buttoned up and ready to go and I'm itching to get the car running again. I'm just not sure if there are any special steps necessary to reconnecting the two parts again.

I'm going to search through the destruction manual a bit, but if anyone has first hand experience, I'd really like to hear about it.

AJ

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just worried about the transmission shaft mating with the torque converter.

Otherwise, yeah, dropping motors in is easy. Done it plenty of times with manuals. However, this will be my first 4EAT, so I'm a bit cautious.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just popped it in last night and the damn thing won't turn. Try to start it, and nothing happens. And attempting to turn the crank pulley yields nothing but resistance. Any thoughts or ideas? I'm scouring the internet for anything that might help me.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
rotate the torque converter so the first threaded hole is across from the service hole on the pass back side of the block. Make sure you have your torque converter plate bolted onto the crank and rotate it so it's visible through the block's service hole as well. Slide on the engine, then put on bolts.after getting the first one on, you can then rotake the crank by installin the crank pulley, or if crank pulley is installed, use a 22mm socket and rotate the crank via ratchet.

It's not THAT hard now is it?

·
Registered
2000 STM 2.5RS
759 Posts
any sort of torque specs for those bolts threaded through the service hole? the bolts on visible on the torque converter i mean.....

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
any sort of torque specs for those bolts threaded through the service hole? the bolts on visible on the torque converter i mean.....
They look to be the same sizing as the pressure plate to FW. 12ft lbs is what I'd set them at. Usually I just hand torque them.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
as long as you didn't pull the input shaft out with the TC and the engine....all you have to do is get those four bolts tightened and it's on like donkey kong.

·
Registered
98 Black RS GM6
843 Posts
as long as you didn't pull the input shaft out with the TC and the engine....all you have to do is get those four bolts tightened and it's on like donkey kong.
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how would you go about getting the input shaft back in after you pulled it out a bit?

·
Registered
Merc Powered Toyota
1,182 Posts
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how would you go about getting the input shaft back in after you pulled it out a bit?
I just shoved it back in after losing quite a bit of fluid. I read that the trans has to be split to get it back in but that wasn't the case for me :wtf:

·
Registered
98 Black RS GM6
843 Posts
I dont mind the fluid loss, but I played with that thing for about 2 hours trying to get it in there. No dice.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
It's got an engagement groove that it needs to align with. Push it in and turn until it seats a little further. The converter face will be pretty much flush with the edge of the bellhousing when fully engaged. It's it's sticking out any, don't try to mate the motor to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts