Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story:
Driving my car on the freeway today (I was maybe 20 minutes of 70 MPH driving in) when I notice a bunch of white smoke in my rearview coming from my car. I pull off into a parking lot thinking I blew a tire or something. I popped the hood and the smoke was coming from my headers, where oil was leaking onto. I checked my oil level and I was completely out.

Towed home. Looked at the spot where I usually park and there were one or two very small drips, nothing like the puddle that formed in the parking lot where I stopped.

There's nothing really noticeable from the underside, so I pulled the air tubing out and found a hose leading into the block that seemed oily. Pulled it off and found that it was cracked and there was oil around it.

Now, I'm hesitant to think that my entire oil supply could leak through this one cracked hose, but could this be my culprit?

Cracked hose:

Entire hose piece: (Goes to main vacuum tube and to PCV valve)

Port where hose came from:

Location of port:

Underbelly:

Closer underbelly. Left is passenger and is side where leaky port is.

Piping on that side:

Back where engine meets transmission:

Looking up where port is:

Looking down on the same piping of that last image: Note the line where the oil buildup starts on those pipes

Would I be safe in assuming that since the oil only started leaking while the car was running at high RPM's, my only leak is that broken hose port? The slight inconsistency in spread is due to air flow in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
161 Posts
So, completely dry on the dipstick (quart or so low) or completely dry (no oil left....4+ quarts low)?

The only way I have seen all the oil get pushed out the PCV system is with a hole in the piston. Combustion pressures leak into crankcase and displace all the fluid (oil). The only place it has to go, is out the PCV breather hoses.

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the dipstick not read actual levels? I've never thought about it. I cleaned the dipstick in the parking lot, and then in between the trip home on the tow truck and dropping it off, some oil splashed onto the stick. But when I retested there was nothing on the stick again.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
the dipstick only shows the last quart and a half or so

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last being... Top? So if the dipstick is just barely wet, I've only lost a quart and a half or so?

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
yup

The oil light is what comes on when.. well.. pretty much when you are so low on oil that there is probably engine damage

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay cool. So I'm hopefully nowhere near that level yet. I'll go and replace the hose, put some more oil in, and clean everything up. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help from those who replied.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
You couldn't have lost that much oil from a cracked pcv hose, that line is under vacumm most of the time. The seepage is just the vapor that would normally be getting pulled into the intake. That oil under the bottom is more likely a combination of a few leaks.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
OS plate cover seal is very common leak on the x-member as shown in his pictures, especially the older plastic cover. I just rebuilt my HG and updated with new metal OS cover plate.

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2slo4u had it down. It was a combination of many, the hose being the smallest of them. I replaced the hose, put new oil in, and let it run. 3 minutes in I had a nice slick towards the front of the car. Cam seals, great.... Didn't have the time to attempt to do that myself, so I took it to a shop. Got it back and noticed that the rear cam seal plate was leaking a bit too, so I replaced the ring on that.

Now to research the ignition point of oil and cross reference it with how hot headers get. The oil that dripped onto my headers has been causing smoke and I don't want it to catch fire.

·
Registered
Aspen White 2.5 RS Coupe
85 Posts
Factory aluminum plate? Or updated 11831 AA210?

Odycee:

On your 2nd picture, your plate looks like thicker factory plate, which I found out, my MY01 plate looks just like yours. How come on your 3rd picture, you used a 11831AA210 plate? I mean, the H indentation didn't show on the 2nd picture, but it looked like you put some sealant on the old plate and decided to use the updated 11831 AA210? I have an oil leak and I thought mine was also due to the plastic separator plate, but after I took out the flywheel, I have a metal plate and it looked dry and still, there's oil dripping from the bottom of the oil pan and the black balancing plate that has 4 screws on it. My conclusion is that my oil pan gasket is leaking. Just curious now as to whether I should "Update" my oil separater plate with a thinner softer plate with this parts number 11831 AA210, or keep the original thicker plate.

and hinkelstein, did you find out what was your main oil leak?

thanks

dk

here's a picture of my factory plate:

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
If its metal, keep it. SOME of the older plastic ones crack near the screws and could leak. I had the older plastic type on my ej20k and I resealed it during my refresh...it is still dry. I used the newer thin metal plate on my ej25k build because that was what was available in the metal style. If yours is metal just reuse it.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
Yours is Aluminum plate, should be good to keep and only need to upgrade if it's plastic. I bought it before removed engine so might as well replace with new metal plate.
+1 2slo4u.

·
Registered
Aspen White 2.5 RS Coupe
85 Posts
Thanks Odycee and 2slo4u. Awesome quick response. As of this moment, that area below the plate inside the bottom is still dry, yet, the bottom of the oil pan is forming droplets of oil, beeding up slowly. So it's likey that my oil pan gasket needs to be sealed again. While I'm already taken stuff out, might as well, get new rear main seals, new OEM clutch Replace old PCV. ahhh...

·
Read Only
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late reply. Finals week. The solution ended up being a combination of that cracked hose, rear cam seal, and front cam seal (the biggest problem).

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
It aint a Subaru if it aint peeing something out of somewhere :p I feel like 99% of the work I do to my car is chasing leaks :\

1 - 18 of 18 Posts