Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98OBS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
subaru sent my neighbor the wrong air filter element for his '02 and it happened to fit my '98, so i replaced the k&n (which didn't really need replacing)

a: the k&n apparently didn't quite fit right since who ever had put it in had to bend the spring clips that hold the cover on... when i put the oem on in, the cover seated perfect, but the clips were loose. simple things are never simple...

b: i oopsfully started up the car forgetting the reconnect the mass air flow sensor and it stalled out.... knew what it was right away but the check engine light has been triggered.

how long before the light resets? i don't feel like unplugging the battery, but that light puts me on edge.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Well...you know you messed up and triggered the light. Read the code to ease your mind and reset the ECU or just drive and forget about it....It'll eventually go off.

It will stay on longer than it takes to reset your radio stations and clock.... :wtf:

·
Registered
98OBS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, it took 5 starts, ~1 hour or about 10 miles (i'm not sure what causes the timeout.) but now i can breath easy.... i swear the car was running funny while the light was on ;)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
logiclust said:
so, it took 5 starts, ~1 hour or about 10 miles (i'm not sure what causes the timeout.) but now i can breath easy.... i swear the car was running funny while the light was on ;)
Well it does run differently. It runs in a form of "failsafe" mode with conservative fuel and timing maps.

Resetting your ECU is so easy, I dunno why you wouldn't do it.

1. disconnect battery

2. pump brake pedal for 60 seconds.

3. Reconnect Battery

4. start car and idle for 10 minutes (reset your clock and radio presets while you wait)

5. Go for a drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts