Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1999 2.5 RS. Is there any way to bypass the MAS because my engine keeps bogging at about 3k rpms without it, but the ram air im trying to put on doesnt have room for it. I also dont know what to do about the hoses coming from the engine block. I tried to turn it over and it ran for maybe a second before it went pfft. so... it would be great if someone could tell me what i fucked up on?

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
Even if your MAF sensor is unplugged, your car should still run, just in safe mode. Try extending the wires on the plug so that it will be able to reach the MAF position on the ram air filter via cut and splice.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great. thanks. =] but what about all the hoses that are coming off the engine block? we are trying to run an intake directly off the manifold to make use fo the hood scoop.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
those are breathers i believe. I've never installed a ram air but I have mine hooked up to my intake....at least my passenger side head's hose is hooked up to my intake. The other one is not hooked up to anything lol

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really. hmmm... well let me break down what im doing for you. (this is totally nig rigged i have no money.)

manifold -> MAS piece -> filter.

no plugs/nozzles/whatever for hoses. what should i plug them in to?

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont worry about the mas its on there now i figured it out. now what about the hoses? we took out that clunky black box thingy. XD

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sirbikealot7 come on. help me out.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can these hoses just be blocked off? is that ok?

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5
640 Posts
Those are for crank case ventilation. So easy to keep if you buy $2 worth of hose. They recycle the NO2 I think.

so.... extend the wires and run new rubber lines. If you cant do this or find another option then you shouldn't play with your car. Not to be rude.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
oh whoops i thought he was talking about the breathers attached to the valve covers. Well in that case yes you should hook the PCV hose up

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5
640 Posts
crank case ventilation / breathers

same shit to the best of my 2 semesters of auto class knowledge . The two that connect to either side of the filter box that comes from the heads.

·
Reformed Ricer
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are for crank case ventilation. So easy to keep if you buy $2 worth of hose. They recycle the NO2 I think.

so.... extend the wires and run new rubber lines. If you cant do this or find another option then you shouldn't play with your car. Not to be rude.

no offense taken. im very new at this and im just playing around anyway. im nowhere near as serious as all of you on here i just like to ask all of you because you all really know what you are doing.

but... i do not have any place for the hoses to go. the problem i am having is very simple now. i looked at it all again and the problem is the MAS is coming off the manifold backwards. how can i reverse the MAS?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Air flow has to be kept in the same direction thru the MAF. Turn it around physically, extend wires if you have to...

The 2 breather hoses from the valvecovers can be put to a tee and a little riceboy filter can be placed on that. If your Idle Air Control Valve is on the manifold instead of being integrated in the throttle body, you'll have to run a hose from the intake (after the MAF) to the IACV. No way around it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts