Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to go for a drive today and my car wouldn't shift into gear. It started fine but just wouldn't go into any of the forward gears, and when I tried to go into reverse there was some grinding. When the car is off I can put it in gear; didn't try starting with the car in gear though.

The last time I drove was saturday; I thought it felt kind of funny. I guess it kind of jerked once in gear, though I only had it up to 3rd. Also, really intermittently for the last few months it would grind going into first, when I'm pretty sure I had the clutch pedal fully depressed.

I checked the clutch fluid and it was good, my transmission fluid was replaced about 20k miles ago (a little over 60k).

I'm thinking it might need a new clutch, but I really have no idea.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I can get it into reverse. It won't go into reverse (maybe if I really force it but that seems like a bad idea) when the car is off, and with the car on/clutch depressed I didn't and don't want to force it past the grinding.

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
sounds like your clutch master or slave cylinder is leaking or has air in it. Have you tried to bleed it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm at school now so I had the car towed to a dealership (same one that fixed my head gasket failure last spring). They said that it needs a new clutch and will run about $11-1300. I called my normal mechanic and explained the problem. He said that since the clutch pedal didn't stick at the bottom it isn't a problem with the hydraulics, and probably is the clutch. He went on to say that ~80k miles is where he usually sees subie clutches fail, but 11-1300 seems expensive. I called the dealership to ask what parts are going in. They purchase a clutch kit that includes the pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing, and flywheel. They are also putting in a new throwout bearing.

I'm going to tell them that I want the old parts back. My mechanic said it's uncommon, but possible, that the clutch itself simply broke. The dealership said the tech was able to get it in gear, but once in gear it wouldn't really move, but RPMs would go up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts