Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 772 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
be careful what you choose for oil return hose, dont skimp. I tried some ebay steel braided stuff and it failed in 6 months. go for a good brand name of forever deal with leaks

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
be careful what you choose for oil return hose, dont skimp. I tried some ebay steel braided stuff and it failed in 6 months. go for a good brand name of forever deal with leaks

I'm running 5/8" ID Push Lok hose.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Yeah, those are them. I ordered the specific push-lok hose when I thought I'd be able to fit the AN fitting in there. So I'm just gonna run it. I've never had rubber hose that was so difficult to get onto a fitting before.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
So I forgot to turn the gas on and am not very good at welding but I did make progress correcting my errors in fabricating the oil return. BFH and poor bead city!

Ultimately I made the hole for my oil return bung too large. To correct it I welded a plate to the inside of my oil pan and also used the BFH to help clearance the bung from the motor mount. We'll see how it works out.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Couldn't find the step bit so I borrowed my dads. Got the hole drilled and did a quick test fit on the motor. Seems like I have way, way more clearance than I anticipated! Now to power clean the pan and get everything put together!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Way more clearance than before. I was expecting to have to death wheel the motor mount but now I have TONS of clearance! BFH for the win!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Got the pan back on and I feel way better about my oil return routing now. Pro-Tip- Don't use a 1/4" hex drive Milwaukee fuel impact to tighten your exhaust manifold nuts. I ended up stripping a stud and thankfully was able to thread a bolt in. That's why you see the bolt with a nut as a spacer securing my manifold in these pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Little more progress.

Finally put the clutch on and dropped the motor in for the last time!

Up-pipe spacer made. Needed a bit more to clear the SOHC head.

Got the PCV valve plumbed. Still need to route and install catch cans.

Intake manifold is on. Gonna be tough getting the Inlet in. Might grind the injector housings a little bit.

You can see where it will be an issue in this picture.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
Well no more pictures really but I did make a little progress in the research and development portion. I mocked up Fuel lines last night and started figuring out what I was gonna have to do to make my hodgepodge of parts work together. Biggest issue being my AEM FPR had a bad gauge and the wrong flange to work with my Agency Power distribution block. After exploring my options and talking with TerryJR I decided to get the necessary parts now to run the AEM instead of slapping a stock unit on there. I think it will be best for the long game but right now I'm trying to spend as little money as possible to get this thing finally going.

I ended up buying a 0-100psi pressure sender instead of a gauge. I figure having the FPR feed Fuel Pressure signal to my ECU so it can be included in logs and also as a visible gauge on the dash is far better than a gauge under the intercooler I'll never be able to see. Ended up with going with this sending unit that will screw right into my regulator and should interface with the Megasquirt easy peazy.

I also ordered a proper Intake Air Temperature sensor that DIYAutoTune recommends. I ordered it from Amazon without the Pigtail as I have a complete weatherpak connector set already. Saved a few bucks there. All in all it was ~$50 including a couple NPT taps to do it right instead of hacking it together. Should save me a headache down the line. Now I just need to sell some more stuff!

This is the IAT sensor I got AC Delco 213-190

I also needed an adapter to mate my -6 AN fuel line to the stock flange style FPR mounting of the earlier WRX's, I'm about 85% positive I got the right one. The one currently on my regulator has far to big of a male portion for the distribution block of my fuel rail kit.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Adapter

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
What good is a force fed boxer good for if it doesn't have a radiator? The only radiator I had was my stock 154,000 01 RS radiator. I had originally planned on an STi radiator and even had one of them $300 Mishimoto units for free.99 but ended up letting it go with the 04 STi. After a few weeks of hemming and hawing I finally bit the bullet on one of the CXRacing units from eBay. I couldn't find a whole lot bad about them and if this set-up lasts me two years I'll be feeling pretty swell about it. I had already invested in cooling bits to be bolt on for an STi radiator so I figure it would of costed me a fair amount to make the RS one work. Not to mention new vs 154,000 miles!

Some of the installed pictures in the eBay add don't look very pretty but at the same time I won't be expecting a perfect fit in the RS. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
So I've decided on the Southbend Stage 2 clutch with a Fidanza flywheel. I picked up the flywheel from a member here who said the Pilot bearing was loose. Some quick research pulled up this.

I priced the Gap Filler Loc-Tite (#660) and a very small tube will be ~$14 to my door. Has anyone installed an aluminum flywheel and gone through this process before? Just want to make sure I get the right stuff and don't end up paying $14 for 6ml of something when I could pay $14 and get 50ml of something else for the same task.
When I installed the pilot bearing it fit in the race perfectly. So I ended up not using the $14 bottle of loc-tite I bought.

161 - 180 of 772 Posts