Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 772 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
ive always notice my pilot bearing was loose, never cared, i just put it back where it goes and throw motor in, but theres certainly a big gap between it and the crank when you push it into the flyweheel, something to look out for

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Another thing on my list is figuring out my PCV system. I'm pretty much decided on running dual catch cans. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mishimoto compact baffled catch cans. ( Amazon.com: Mishimoto MMBCC-MSTHR-BK Black Compact Baffled 3-Port Oil Catch Can: Automotive )

I'm going to run one from the valve cover breathers, potentially with a filter to outside air or into the inlet. The second would be run from the crankcase vents to the PCV valve/Intake manifold.

Question I have been pondering is whether it's even necessary to route either line back to the inlet tract or Intake manifold. The only reason to utilize the PCV valve that I have found is so intake vacuum will help to scavenge air from the crank case. Thus I should be able to route the crankcase vent directly to the PCV valve and not connect it to the rest of the intake tract at all. Incoming fresh air could be pulled through the Valve cover ports which will either be connected to the inlet or the directly filtered underhood air. I'm not concerned with metered air issues as I am running a MAP based engine management system.

This is essentially what I am proposing.

Utilizing these parts. The reason for the 3 ports (2 in / 1 out) is that there's a port on each valve cover and there's also two ports on the crankcase. Also the 3 port units are cheaper than the 2 port ones!

Any thoughts?

Is there something that I am missing?
FRY, nick whatever your name is, the pcv must be tied to a fresh air source, this way it doesnt pull full vacuum from the crankcase. So you outside vent should be metered in a maf car, thats why most people keep it in the stock configuration and just add the catch cans. If your speed density then you can add an unmetered vent and pull filtered air through the valve covers. just have a very good AOS on the crankcase line before the pcv valve

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
ive always notice my pilot bearing was loose, never cared, i just put it back where it goes and throw motor in, but theres certainly a big gap between it and the crank when you push it into the flyweheel, something to look out for
Hmm that's odd. The couple times I did the clutch on my car the pilot bearing was snug to the point of using a rubber mallet to get it seat into the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Well it's not just a standard red or blue Loctite. It's a Loctite product designed to fill the gap when tolerances are loose. The image is an excerpt from the Fidanza installation instructions, which I intend to follow.

The reason for the loose tolerance is because the aluminum flywheel and the bearing are made of different materials so they expand/contract at different rates. I've sent Fidanza an E-mail for clarification on exactly what product to use.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
FRY, nick whatever your name is, the pcv must be tied to a fresh air source, this way it doesnt pull full vacuum from the crankcase. So you outside vent should be metered in a maf car, thats why most people keep it in the stock configuration and just add the catch cans. If your speed density then you can add an unmetered vent and pull filtered air through the valve covers. just have a very good AOS on the crankcase line before the pcv valve
Yes, I understand this. I am running speed density so metered air is not an issue. I'm either going to run a filter on the 'In' port of the Valve cover catch can (baffled) or tie it into the turbo inlet for fresh air in. The separate baffled catch can will be strictly for Crankcase -> PCV.

And yes, my name is Nich.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
right now, i have two ebay breathers on my valve covers, then the rear crankcase line goes into a catch can and then to my turbo inlet. So far so good, i have about 2500 miles or so on this motor, oils clean and only used about a half quart so far

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I got a response from Fidanza, in a very timely manner!

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
So I've been doing some research on my options for the PCV set-up. I pulled the trigger on the Mishimoto cans. The PCV valve is on the block of the car my manifold is out of. My current plan is to source a PCV valve with a 3/8" NPT thread I can thread into the crankcase catch can output. That line will then be run to the Intake manifold. Something like the Borg Warner PCV255 would be ideal. Ultimately I'm gonna have to spend some time at the parts store to find the perfect one for my application.

Another thing I've been trying to figure out is where to draw my MAP reference from for the GM 3 Bar. I've read some reports of the MAP reading being inconsistent depending on where the reference is located in the manifold. The picture below shows the only two ports that are available to me without drilling/tapping for a new bung. I'm not opposed to the idea but if I don't have to, that would be great!

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
pcv valves usually flow one direction, you could use a 3/8npt to 1/4 bushing/reducer to use a subaru valve.

and theyre throttle body spacers on ebay with extra vacuum ports on side. but those may create less room to fit tmic. i just drilled and tapped mine for the 1/8"npt brake booster line. did it in an old bolt spot where casted is thick

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yeah, the flow direction is why that's one of those things I'm gonna need to go to the parts store for so I can ensure that it's the proper orientation. I didn't consider an adapter at all, I'll have to look into it.

Space for the late model TMIC is at a premium as it is. I plan on cutting the DBW flange completely off and welding a DBC flange on to maintain as much clearance as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I don't like how the fuel rails point in different directions...

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
So there's very little out there that suggests one can use the 2.5i intake with a TMIC. It's also nearly impossible to find anyone with the 2011 intercooler in a 'GC' Chassis. I've spent the past couple days fabricating a rough draft of the throttle body spacer and figuring out the logistics. I'm wondering how feasible it is to rotate the throttle body 90 degrees. I know hood clearance will be an issue.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
i see you have a spacer there, perhaps you can make a steel on and make it tall enough to bend into a cable bracket. luck would have it that i have that manifold and several of those throttle bodies in the garage. I can probably plasma cut and for something. Whats your timeframe?

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Yeah, spacer is needed to allow space for the IAC airflow. I won't be looking to start the car for another month or so.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Back in it's natural habitat! Tonight we tackle wiring.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
your a good deal ahead of me. still waiting on bonus to buy a new dd before tearin into mine, and then im might just trun boost up and drive it all hoonigan style til it blows

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
So the big plenum manifold is just not worth the work right now. Considering running some 850cc side feeds in the V6 JDM manifold. We'll see.

Tonight I'm tackling the herculiner on my quarter panels. This is the first coat of at least 3.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
are you using coil pack or cop? The v6 manifold uses the same throttle body, coil pack and iacv as your 01 RS. the difference is the rails are for sidefeeds so your stock harness plugs wont fit the side feeds. I have manifolds and harnesses if you need anything. I'm out of side feeds, gave my last 550 set to a buddy but i believe he still has them for cheap

i repinned my stock bugeye harness to the sidefeed plugs, only issue is the pic were a little different and dont lock into the plugs, i need to find some pins

101 - 120 of 772 Posts