Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 772 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Rust. Rust Everywhere!

So I started filling in holes with spray foam. This is mostly for improved sound quality and less body vibrations when I install my stereo down the line. I do understand what spray foam does to a body if moisture gets in there, so I will be making sure to give all of these holes a water tight seal before it get's fiberglass and paint.

Here's the roof with about 8 coats of 'Rust Stop' Implement paint.

I'm also using Window and door spray foam in my trunk lid to get rid of rattles there.

What do you do when your wheels require a 5mm spacer to fit your car but you want to take a poser pic in the garage?

Then I rested the body panels in place and hung the bumpers off of the body and pulled out my trusty potato for some pictures.

My drivers front fender was pretty jacked up so I bent it back as best I could and welded up some cracks. Seems I can make it work so that I can at least open my door without eating the fender, even if it looks like garbage.

That's about it for the next week until I'm home and working in the garage again.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Another week of work is done so it's time again to work on Ruby. I've ordered some parts for the in dash tablet I plan on using for my stereo, navigation and to interface with my ECU. Ultimately I decided on a Nexus 7 tablet as the brains of the operation. After much deliberation it seems to be the best option for a permanently mounted tablet. It has excellent support in the carputer and Android/XDA communities so there's a tremendous amount of information regarding USB OTG with charging and mobile integration. I'll be driving my audio with a Clarion EQ/Line Driver that should provide me good physical control of an audio signal coming from the Tablet.

Also, just in the nick of time DIYAutoTune released their 'DIY Breakout Board' with the JECS 93 pin ECU connector I need to build a plug and play harness for my factory wiring. I had planned on doing something similar utilizing a factory ECU I had hacked up but this is a far better option!

I should be working on the car most of the weekend. Have a 207/DCCD 5 speed swap I'm supposed to help a buddy out with but I know he'll return the favor so look for more progress in the next few days!

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
George.of.the.Jungle - here's those pictures of the HID bulbs in the Hella housings you requested.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I let them warm up once with all the wiring plugged in. I'm in the process giving them a more permanent mounting situation now.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I forgot my camera back home when I took off for work this time around so it'll be a week before I can update this thread. Until then, here's the future COTM!

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Been a while since I've updated so I'll be doing a post on each project to try and keep thing organized.

To start I got a few random parts installed.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So first things first, it was time to put my motor together finally! I had ordered every single OEM nut and bolt I needed to assemble the motor a few months ago. Turns out they didn't send me my waterpump bolts (or I lost em somehow).

No worries, had a friend bring over a set he pulled out of a parts motor he was stripping. 5 or the six went in fine, but one was a bit crusty. Cleaned it up the best I could but still met some resistance spinning it in. Went to back it out and SNAP! Broken bolt in a brand new block. Bad way to start!

After dicking around for hours trying to get the broken bolt out I ultimately got so frustrated I recovered the motor and moved on. So here's how it sits now.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Decided to move on to more exciting things and started working on Mounting my LED light bar and replacing the rusted out bumper support beam. Took a while to get the bar mounted straight. Cut out the bumper to fit the bar and then welded in the new support bar.

The bar is an eyourlife CREE 288w Quad Row 26" Led Light Bar

Dual beam pattern, Spot in the middle, flood on the outside.

This guy was in the way...

So it had to go!

First test fit.

Next up with trimming the bumper cover.

Fully mounted with the new bumper support welded in place.

This is my first real weld with a Mig, I'm happy!

And here it is completely installed!

Let there be light! Poorly aimed and the car is pointed at the house.

For whatever reason I never took a picture with all of the bumper lights lit up. Didn't feel like pulling my HID ballasts out again. I do have an Indoor picture of the Hella/HID set-up. This was taken with 24 T8 bulbs burning in my garage.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I also have been in discussion with a guy in Ohio who had the solution to my rust epidemic. After a few weeks of deliberation I am the proud new owner of a RUST FREE 2001 2.5RS Shell! I should be taking delivery in the next week or two. Not sure if I want to swap everything over immediately or if I'm going to wait until I destroy my current shell. Only time will tell. Comes with the WRX wheels, stock L suspension, WRX rear end, and bugeye interior bits. Also has a sunroof delete waiting to be welded on.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I also got started on the audio install. I'm going to be running a Nexus 7 tablet as my head unit so I need to wire in an amp for the full range speakers. I also picked up some Infinity Kappa speakers for all four corners. Components up front and 2 way in the rear powered by a 75wx4 RMS Rockford Fosgate amplifier.

For the bass I have two MTX Thunder 7500 10" speakers but I'm probably only going to run one of them. I prefer sound quality to stupid amounts of bass. This will ultimately be placed in a fiberglass enclosure where the jack and tools typically reside.

My stereo has been a hodgepodge of Craigslist steals and junkyard finds up to this point and I have really been hankering for a quality stereo again. I figure I have 12 other projects going on, might as well start this one too!

First off I had to do about my favorite mod yet. Pink tape on the mini dykes! I lose these things all the time, not anymore!

Rears

Had to make a small slice in order to pass the speaker connections through, used some gaffers tape to reseal it.

Here's my tweeter location. I was going to put them in the sail(?) panels by the mirror but there just wasn't quite enough room for them to flush mount.

This is my first test fit of the crossover in the foam mounted to the door panel.

And the fronts in baffles with adapters.

Where should I put my Amp? I'm running a 4 channel for my mid/high range speakers and a 1 channel amp for my subwoofer. Trying to figure out the best location without having wire running all over dodge.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
:blol: Here have a picture of Falkor for making me chuckle.

21 - 40 of 772 Posts