Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of ways to make my hood scoops useful my '98RS, and was wondering what y'all (the south has gotten to me) had come up with. please post your pics and ideas.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
^^^ LOL Thats the first thought that crossed my mind when I read the title.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Well, you can make the side scoops functional by just taking off the backing plates. Doesn't really do anything but let more air in the engine bay and cooling down a bit. The main scoop shouldn't be taken off unless you have a gravel sport intake or an intercooler.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Utilize the search option. Most of the answers you need have already been posted

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
i wish i could see brydons pic but i cant here at work.

The only really good way to make them useful is by swapping your car to one that has the intercooler in the proper place. anything other than that is pretty much just rice.

Chris

·
Registered
Black '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
387 Posts
Any body know where to get a gravel sport intake? Or detailed pics? I tried searching some old threads but the pics weren't there. I would really like to make my own. Also I read some old threads saying Sean at Subie specialties designed and made them but he went to West Coast Customs, is he the master fabricator over there now (as seen on the show Street Custom's) ?

·
Registered
Mazda 3
2,484 Posts
Any body know where to get a gravel sport intake? Or detailed pics? I tried searching some old threads but the pics weren't there. I would really like to make my own. Also I read some old threads saying Sean at Subie specialties designed and made them but he went to West Coast Customs, is he the master fabricator over there now (as seen on the show Street Custom's) ?
i have a gravel sport intake, if you have any questions just pm me

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L & 1997 OBS
2,258 Posts
i took all the covers off, brings cool air in the scoop and pushes hot air out the vents. it def helps with under hood temps, especially if swapped.

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as stock, if i take the covers off the scoops, will water drip and harm anything under the hood?

·
Registered
00 2.5RS STM
397 Posts
I removed the backing plates. I noticed that the temp gauge was sitting about 5 degrees(Angle, not temp) lower the with them on.

·
Registered
99 Outback Sport
480 Posts
Does the engine area get more dirty and wet with the backing plates off? Anybody put some mesh in place of the backing plates to keep stuff out?

·
Registered
Black '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
387 Posts
The only thing I have noticed with the backing plates off of my vents is that My red grouding kit and the top of my optima is faded from the sun cooking through. I was thinking about cutting the plastic mesh out and installing some metal mesh.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts