Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
none yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here. been a gearhead for near 50 years. my first scoob was a 77 wagon. been thru a few since. my wife's grandson is just permit age and wants a 98 wrx clone. found a couple of 95 to 97 coupes look like decent starting points. how much doing is removing the auto trans setup and replacing with clutch? and what year donor car would work best. I know. if you have a welder and a hammer you could get a 454 chebby in there. doesnt mean it is a good idea.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Subaru Legacy GT
1,220 Posts
Subaru's are by far the very best lego car you could ever get, next to a Nissan. Parts essentially bolt and plug in. iwire sells kits to convert the auto harness to a manual.

·
Registered
none yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to know. looks like very little traffic on this forum. are there any better ones for this car?

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Subaru Legacy GT
1,220 Posts
All the information you will need is here. This is the only forum for the 93-01 Impreza as far as I know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Noob here. been a gearhead for near 50 years. my first scoob was a 77 wagon. been thru a few since. my wife's grandson is just permit age and wants a 98 wrx clone. found a couple of 95 to 97 coupes look like decent starting points. how much doing is removing the auto trans setup and replacing with clutch? and what year donor car would work best. I know. if you have a welder and a hammer you could get a 454 chebby in there. doesnt mean it is a good idea.

Not hard at all if you have a little experience in wrenching. I swapped my 2000 RS from an auto to manual with parts from a 2003 WRX, a few wires need to be run for the backup lights, and speed sensor. I had it done in a few days by myself using resources from this forum.

·
Registered
none yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not hard at all if you have a little experience in wrenching. I swapped my 2000 RS from an auto to manual with parts from a 2003 WRX, a few wires need to be run for the backup lights, and speed sensor. I had it done in a few days by myself using resources from this forum.
did you use rear drive axles and diff? the track is about an inch wider on 03's. do struts and control arms fit from 03 to 00 also? got a beat rear quarter, so this is a good candidate for 22b clone-wannabe-copy-whatever...

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
546 Posts
The sedan is wider. The GD wagons have the same track as the GC. I’m
In the middle of the same swap. I went to the hubs for the wider track.

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Subaru's are by far the very best lego car you could ever get, next to a Nissan. Parts essentially bolt and plug in. iwire sells kits to convert the auto harness to a manual.
Thanks for the shout out Silverton! Here is a link to our blog post about auto to manual conversions. It gives a general overview since the wiring changes so much between car models and years. We also have our connector packages which source all of the necessary parts for the project.

iWire Auto to Manual Conversion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts