2000 RSTi
1,159 Posts
oof. Sorry man.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Quick update. Nick @ JDM Racing Motors was very accomodating despite the engine being past the warranty period. Due to the nature of the damage, he offered a replacement engine or partial refund to go toward repair. I opted for the partial refund, as the motor is completely disassembled at this point, and all the other engine components seem to be in good working order. I ordered an new OEM shortblock so it will have a fresh bottom end.

In other news, I painted the intake manifold STI red!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The build is taking an interesting turn. I got an EJ257 2018 STI RA shortblock (10103AD020). The heads are off at IAG getting a bath and the 2.5l combustion chamber modification. This is becoming an EJ257/205 hybrid build!

p.s. Anyone want to buy a JDM EJ205 shortblock that needs machine work?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,159 Posts
Man that's sick. I can only imagine the torque with that short block and the JDM heads. Might have to go that route someday.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I finally got the heads back from IAG. IAG's machining is fairly expensive and backlogged, but the work they did is impressive. I had them modify the combustion chamber for 2.5L. This opens up the area around the valves to maintain proper compression and prevent detonation which is common on hybrid builds. I also had the heads resurfaced, a valve job performed with new OEM valves, and had the casings vapor hone cleaned. They look brand spanking new. Despite the fact that I picked them up locally, they were packaged obscenely well.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Heads are on and torqued to spec. I added an 11mm OEM oil pump, Aisin water pump, and installed the water/breather pipe. Next I'll set the valve lash, install cams and avcs solenoids, then put in the spark plugs and start adding back on all the little pieces. I'm also debating what to do with the turbo. The engine came with a TD04HL which is supposedly a hair bigger than the USDM 02 WRX's TD04-13T. Both are considered too small for the EJ257 according to opinions on NASIOC. I am considering upgrading to a VF48 or similar sized turbo, but that's another $400-1000 (used or new) for a project that is already waayyyy over budget. I could upgrade the turbo at a later date, but that would require another re-tune. Thoughts?

81 - 93 of 93 Posts