Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
297 Posts
Looks great with all new mouldings. Did you buy a brand new cowl? I'm debating whether to do that or just paint the old one. The problem is the seal, which I think you can only get buy buying a brand new cowl.

Do the roof gutter mouldings, and windshield mouldings come with the clips? I think they do from what the part diagram shows..

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Good questions. As far as I could tell the seal only comes with the cowl. You could probably get some self-stick weather stripping and apply it to the old cowl if you're set on painting it. As far as clips go, some come with some without:

Rear Window Upper -> clips included
Front Window Upper -> clips included
Roof Moulding -> clips NOT included, I reused the clips that mount on the sides of the F/R windows and had to purchase new clips for the roof (broke old ones)
Cowl -> L/R clips included, middle clip and retainer NOT included, small clips that fasten through cowl and engine bay weather stripping NOT included.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
297 Posts
I'm always for new OEM parts when possible, but it adds up quick.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the roof mouldings came with clips, so glad I asked. Does it come with the little caps that cap of the edge of the cowling? And there are two small ones that cap off the rears as well.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This past month I've been working on some maintenance. Nothing groundbreaking or spectacular, just nagging issues that needed fixed. First I overhauled the AC system. The springs on the AC clutch broke a couple of years ago. I compensated by tightening the clutch so it was stop squealing. That fix didn't last very long and the compressor went kaput last fall. I finally got around to replacing the compressor, condensor, drier, and evaporator. While I was at it I snagged a cabin air filter kit from starscr33m on ebay. Now the AC blows cold and smells fresher than it ever has. The Four Seasons compressor I got off Rock auto seems to work well, but it is a tad noisy.

All four axles also had torn boots and the front axles were making the dreaded crackling noise under certain conditions. I opted to replace all four since I'll be moving out of state in a few weeks. I used Napa MaxDrive axles. They had mostly decent reviews on Nasioc so I took a chance.

Four Seasons compressor:

New in box air filter kit :)

Old beat up AC components:

Napa axle next to old rears:

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Quick update... I moved to Maryland a few months ago and the Subie has seen some heavy use. My new commute is 30 miles each direction, so I'm racking up the mileage. I've considered getting a beater car to put the miles on and making the Subie my weekend driver / project car. I had a 97 Saturn SL back in the day which got great gas mileage, so I might try to find one for sale.

I did get around to installing a V8 STI steering wheel this past weekend. I really like the look and it fits well with the RS interior. I installed a charge from an 03 Impreza to get the airbag functional. It was needed because the charge for these wheels is physically smaller. The 03 charge fits the newer wheel and the plug fits the RS clockspring.

Btw, this is my first post since the site migrated to XenForo. Looks good!

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
96 Posts
IMO, the RS are worth saving, still under appreciated , but wait. I enjoy mine all the more because it is no longer my daily driver . Just my opinion

41 - 55 of 55 Posts