Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Ugh. That sucks. I dread that happening to my car. Good luck with whichever direction you decide on for the project and keep us posted.
Yeah it sucks. But I look at it this way. I've given the car a few good years and it wasn't me who wrecked it.
"buy my dream attainable car."

??

More info, please.
Second last paragraph. But it's a WRB Bugeye WRX wagon.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So update.

So over the past few weeks I've been thinking what was going to happen to the car. Whether I would fix it or get another car. The conclusion I came to was that I had to fix it. This car has been reliable as hell and is as weird as it is to say, it's honestly been a good friend and an escape for me. I figure a few of you can understand how easy it is to get attached to these cars.

Today I settled with the guy who hit me for $2600. This is $400 more than I paid for the car so I think I came out of it okay. The best part of this is that it still has a clean title. The plan is to buy a new tailgate and bumper in the same colour so I don't have to deal with paint. I'll also need a new drivers light and probably a crash bar but they're easy to come by.

In regards to the damage to the floor pan, I'm going to do my best to fix it with a tree, a ratchet strap, varies G clamps and other assorted tools. I honestly think that I can get it back to how it was or close enough that only I would know. If not I'm prepared to take it to a frame shop to get it right. I'm estimating that all of this with cost between $600-$1000. That should leave me with a little money to buy some parts I've been after for a while and do any preventative maintenance that might be needed.

Anyway last weekend I did an oil change at 376,500km and this weekend I just gave the car a wash and clean as I have neglected it for about 2 months which isn't great. Still cleans up alright.

Stay tuned for the future repairs of this car. Hopefully it won't take to long the source the parts

Thanks for reading,
Luke :)

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
It's easy to fall in with these cars and make some not 100% logical choices. I know from experience. :) Whether you made the right choice or not, you probably made the same one I would have for what it's worth. :D Best of luck!

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Sounds like a good plan.
Gotta love your subaru.
Glad it's sticking around!
Cheers guys
Good to hear! Looking forward to the progress reports. Hope it's not too bad to fix.
I hope so too. I'm a bit scared that I've gotten myself into more trouble than it's worth but we'll see
It's easy to fall in with these cars and make some not 100% logical choices. I know from experience.
Whether you made the right choice or not, you probably made the same one I would have for what it's worth.
Best of luck!
^ well said
Yeah completely agree. I'm gonna go with the right choice (I'm somewhat biased though) as I keep seeing more and more of these cars getting wrecked/parted out and it's really sad and I didn't want my car to be added to the list.

Thanks guys for your support. It means a lot and it makes me feel in someway that it is worth saving more than I did before.

So on Friday I picked up a new tailgate. I got it for $150 AU ($100 US) and it's in the same colour. It has a minor dent in the boot, which I think I can fix with a little PDR. It has the factory wing mounts/holes so they will be being kept on the car.

It isn't perfect but it's a start. I'd like to get the whole car resprayed next year sometime once the Outback is on the road so things like that dent be fixed.

Considering I'm still $2450 up at the moment I'm looking at a compass pack. Does anyone know if the temperature can be shown in both fahrenheit and celcius as I can only see it in pictures as fahrenheit. Also anyone selling a compass pack and willing to ship to Australia. I'm gonna put a WTB post up but though it was worth asking here anyway.

So tomorrow the plan is to remove the old tailgate, probably with an angle grinder as I can't open it, and replace it with the new one. And to try and pull out the damage as much as possible. We'll see how that goes as I've got some work to do on the Outback as well.

Thanks for reading,

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
You definitely made the right call. Thank you for keeping another first gen on the road. Also, good luck!
Thanks mate. The logic part of my brain is telling me just to leave it but nah. I'll fix it.

So this is what I got up to on the weekend (well Sunday & Monday but close enough). Sorry in advance for the lack of photos. My phone ran out of power so not many photos of later in the day

My nugget of a car hauling a tailgate of the roof for the 5th time. Clearing showing the faded paint in this light.

Starting at 9:30 Sunday. Step one. Open the hatch. This was easier said than done as the latch wouldn't move. Drastic measures were required. I'm thinking I might make the SUBARU writing part into a plaque.

Easy access aye

I didn't get any photos of it but the frame around the window of the hatch was kinked and the sheet metal had de-laminated around the drivers taillight. It shows how fortunate I am with this car has it was slow close to the D pillar being damaged. This car doesn't want to die, I can tell.

Next photo showing the external damage to the frame. It doesn't look to bad but it was a fair way in. The good news is the crash bar came straight out which means the frame rails are still parallel.

I wonder what took the brunt of the crash. Probably this. It was straight. I'll be sourcing another one as this is obviously banana-ed.

Change in scenery. As you can see it's now flat(ish) in the back. Most of the damage came out with a mallet and a piece of wood.

Next the hard part. Fixing the kink in the floor pan. Here is it before I started.

After about 30 minutes with a jack and another piece of wood. I lifted the car with a 2x2 upended on a jack, using the weight of the car to un-kink it.It's a bad angle but it's been flattened out. I'll focus on fixing this a bit better at a later stage as it's 95% there, but the next 5% will take a few days to get perfect.

I forgot to mention it was about -3 degrees with wind chill while doing this. The sound deadening was just shattering off.

This is where the photos run out for Sunday. Next I bent back the center of the crash car and straightened out the number plate. When I was bolting the crash bar back I managed to strip two of the bolt. On my old GC I did the same thing. Either I can't fit them properly or they strip easy. I have my suspicions on which it is.

Next was to install the new hatch. All the old wiring came out of the old one as well as the lock and the mid wing. Then my wonderful mother gave me a hand getting the old one off and installing the new one. When the new hatch was installed when on it didn't latch at all. So to get this to work the latch hoop was hooked to a tree and the car was put in first. Long story short is that it now latches. It shows how much it was pushed forward in the accident.

While I was there I figured I'd show you a dirty little secret. Rust sadly. Been there since I bought the car. It's not to much and hopefully I can cut and weld a new piece in there soon.

Also found this which I'm not to happy about. I think I should be able to grind it back to bare metal and rust proof it. If not I'll have to cut and weld a new piece in there too. There's another instance a little further along but nowhere near as bad.

While I was working on the car I noticed I stuffed up a while back when replacing the door. Apparently GC's have different rear door trim to GF's. GC on the top and GF on the bottom.

This was the car by 10:30am the next day. This is less than 26 hours after I started with about 7 hours work done. I still haven't removed all the stupid tint as it's being a bitch get off.

Sadly the tailgate isn't perfect with a small ding to the right of the U. It's also a slightly different green as it seems to have has a closed door respray at some point. Only I seem to have notice that as it's not really even evident in the photos. But for $150 AUD ($100 US) I don't think I've done half bad.

As mentioned in my other journal I spoke to my paint guy. He recommended not to just repaint to hatch. So after the Outback gets painted this will be on the production line for a closed door respray in 64C.

The hatch still needs to be gapped as it isn't flush yet but it works. I think I still need to pull the latch loop out a bit. I still need a whole bunch of parts to fix this but this was the most major part and at least it's not to obvious now.

Parts left to get are (with rough price guesstimate):
Drivers taillight (with lower trim) ~$40
Tow Bar (Preferable one with a square tow hitch) ~$100
Crash bar ~$50
Bumper (I'll probably use this one until a green one is for sale of one gets painted in green) ~$60
Drivers side boot scuff panel ~ $20
Top and bottom wing (The new top wing on the hatch has round caps where as the old one had square caps. Bottom wings mounting points are gone. Also will probably wait to put these on until they are painted) ~$100

Total: ~$370

Other thing's needed for the potential respray are:
SUBARU lettering ~$110
RX & 2.0 sticker ~Custom

I'll leave you with one last photo. The tradition one at the servo.

This is nowhere near fixed but it's a start in the right direction. I'll probably only get the taillight/crash bar/tow bar and focus on getting the Outback done. Then this will be the next project (H6 maybe???).

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,659 Posts
Nice work!

I've been wanting to mess around with some projects on my car but it's been 37 degrees here in California and I'm not about to endure heat stroke. I'll trade you weather :lol:

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
I would have been too paranoid that I was going to make things worse pounding out dents and pulling the latch back into place, but it looks like you made it happen on a shoestring budget. That's some great backyard bodywork!

Also, I love that your mom helped you with the hatch. My mom helped me get my engine slotted into the crossmember when I was doing my swap. Yay for supportive mothers! :D

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Nice work!

I've been wanting to mess around with some projects on my car but it's been 37 degrees here in California and I'm not about to endure heat stroke. I'll trade you weather :lol:
Cheers. How about we split the difference in temperature. About 15-16 degrees sound good :lol:
I would have been too paranoid that I was going to make things worse pounding out dents and pulling the latch back into place, but it looks like you made it happen on a shoestring budget. That's some great backyard bodywork!
I know what you mean. I was kinda going in with the mentality that it's already fucked so how much worse can I make it. Yeah pulling the latch out that was wasn't my proudest moment but what can you do. It worked. Cheers man. This is only the beginning as I will get this car better than new, or at better than it was.
Also, I love that your mom helped you with the hatch. My mom helped me get my engine slotted into the crossmember when I was doing my swap. Yay for supportive mothers!
She's great. She wanted to be a mechanic when she was younger but parents were against it so she's always taken an interest in what I'm doing.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts