Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
that window scraper is awesome!

and i wish we had wreckers that were that cool here in the states.
^right?!^
Well you two aren't going to be happy with what I picked up today...

But first installed the new sway bars. I accidentally ordered the rear bushing for the older style mount so I got some new (the old style) mounts and that fixed that. I read that the FSB would just unbolt and you could snake it out. That was not how it went for me, but it was installed after unbolting the headers and the bottom plate thingy on the sub-frame.

My first impression from a quick drive around the block is that in day to day driving there's no noticeable difference. But I did fling it into a few corners and the rear is definitely cornering more flat. I guess it will become more noticeable when I drive it for more than 3 minutes.

This pic is to mainly show my (mostly) rust free under frame. I do like not living in the US (or any country that salts the roads) on that aspect.

Now this is what I picked up at the wreckers today for $150. This includes the items below and the sway bar mounts.

These were there a week ago when I got the 4 pots and when I went back today with the idea in mind that if they were still there I would get them. Honestly I was amazed that they were still there after a week as the interior was gone and a few other parts too.

I've come to the conclusion that the 4/2 pot setup won't be going on this car, hence why I didn't get the hubs. These will be going on another car soon to make an appearance.

Also picked up a leather handbrake which is nice. Just have to get the leather shift knob to match.

I've started seriously investigating doing a track day. It's all a bit foreign as I don't know anyone who's done one before so I was looking at a training course. If anyone has tips/tricks/suggestions for that I would appreciated it.

Cheers, Luke :)

Edit: Updated the picture to show the newly installed handbrake.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So long time no post. Not much has happened since my last which is good and bad I guess but just wanted to just a quick update. So the car is about 700km off me owning the car for 50,000km which isn't to bad for less than 2 years. That puts the total mileage at roughly 358,300km or in old money 222,635 miles.

I also got a photo of this milestone which I spotted when I got in the car.

And I finally finish a project that took me about 9 months longer than planned, but I got there in the end which is what matters.

They can probably do with a cut and polish but I'm really happy with the end result. It's not perfect but I'm probably the only one that will notice that. These will eventually make it onto the GF8.

That will happen when I can sell the other two 5 spokes and the V4 Bumper with the Jun rep lip and fog light covers as they will provide funds. I also want to get a bit more use out of the tyres currently on the car before benching them.

Sadly this marks the completion of all the projects I have which is a big relief and a bit sad at the same time. But I should have a new project over the Christmas period, which in true fashion is a Subaru that has even more kilometers than the current one. I've already picked up a bunch of parts including, brakes, turbo parts, and a whole bunch of interior parts.

I'm also looking at doing a speed of the streets event at the local track, but I'm still really hesitant as it's such a foreign thing to me. I know that the car can handle I'm just nervous about the driver part of it all.

That's all for now, thanks for reading,
Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The day a Subaru project is 'done' is when sold to another person, then it becomes their 'project', or is totaled, in which it's spirit lives on in other car's

Haha yeah. I worded it badly as I meant that I all the current car related projects are done for now and a project car is never finished. So time to find more I guess.

As the BH5 project is about to kick off the GF8 is being, well not put to the side but it’s at a point where I’m happy with it for now. And that leaves me at a bit of a standstill as there’s not much more I can think to do that isn’t majorly expense like engine, drivetrain or bodywork and to me it doesn’t need it yet.

So it’s a bit sad as I’m not really sure what to do next with it. As said above tracking the car is the next thing to do really and I’m sure that will bring a lot of things to light that need to be done. But as the end of the day it is a daily so I can’t do to insane with it, so yeah.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So just a quick bump and a plug.

I have started a journal for the BH5 outback wagon.
https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t248939-lukes-bh5-outback-wagon-project.html

And yes you can fit an Outback interior in an Impreza, just.

Ticked over to 360,000km while looking clean.

I'm kidding this was a week or two back. It's filthy as right now and its raining off and on every couple of hours.

Not much purpose to this just mainly a plug for the new project.

Cheers, Luke

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So this week after negecting the daily for about 2 months I decided to get some work done to it.

I got home early on thursday so first thing I did was replace the wiper arm thing. The things that the blade slides into. This was because the old one had worn down on the swivel point and flopping around. All that was done was a light sand and rattle can with black caliper paint. I use that because it's heat resistant.

Next I gave the engine bay a wipe down and placed the timing belt sticker with the date/km from when it was changed. I place it on the airbox where the old one was. It only took me 6 months to get around to it.

Now ever since I bought the car it's had a ding in the rear passenger door. It has always irked me a bit but not enough to replace it. Then the clear coat started to fail and since then I was one the lookout for another green door.

To give a sense of scale the ding was about 15cm long and the clear coat failure was about 6cm by 2cm.

I stumbled on one the other day on eBay for $60 that was about 1 hour away, so I went and picked it up on Saturday as it was the same colour. It's not perfect but its much better and matches the condition of the rest of the car much better. Photo below of it already stripped out.

It has one scratch about 3 cm long but its was better than the current one. It also has this cool sticker but I'm going to remove it as it doesn't match the other side and it looks the wrong way round too.

Condition before tear down. Way to much sound deadening. It was pain to remove the residue.

When I bought this I decided that the door skin was the only thing changing. This meant swapping over all the internals. I don't recommend doing this is you can avoid it, but I'd do it again to keep everything the same. All the internals out. The glass is resting on top of a spare wheel somewhere.

Door completely stripped out except for maybe 3/4 plastic clips. Don't judge the rug, I really didn't want to scratch the door.

Then on Sunday I started the tear down of the other door. I removed everything but the window mechanism so I could transfer it around once the door was in place. Also removing the door pin isn't fun when you don't have a small hammer, even a large one would have been nice. The bonus of removing all this stuff is it makes moving the doors around 10 times easier as they are around 1/2 the weight.

Then the door was pulled of the car. This was an oh shit moment as I had to now get it done as I had to get to work tomorrow and there way no going back. It's basically a jeep now, but more reliable right?

Then everything was simple from then. Putting the stuff back in the door it way easier than pulling it out and both doors were back together and the new one the car in about 1 to 1.5 hours. The only thing other than the door skin that is new is the black outer trim, I just kinda fell apart at the join after removing the screw.

Two angles to show the nice (relatively) ding less and fully clear-coated door.

In review this was simple, but very time consuming thing to do. If you have any mechanical knowledge, or even just know how to use a spanner you could this. It was daunting at first as it was foreign to me but once I knew how it worked it was smooth sailing. The worst part was getting the glass out, and this would be made infinitely easier if you can get the outer black trim off first. So do that if you can. But if you can just replace the whole door as you're not weird like me, just do that.

Now I never added this but a while back I picked up a leather shift knob for free. I was so worn on the top the H pattern was gone, but the leather was still there. I gave it the same treatment as the steering wheel and we were good to go.

To finish of the day I gave the car a wash and decided to drive out north for a bit of fun driving. I got some nice photo's, they're not great quality as they're off an iPhone, but I like them. Spotted some other Subaru's while I was out but they were off living the turbo life.

So that's been the weekend for me. Cheap panel repair, junkyard finds (see other thread), recovery from the project car and Sunday driving.

Next for the car is a power drivers lock. As the car has central locking for every door but the drivers. It should be very easy to wire up and a good change to the rather annoying locking process.

Thanks for reading,

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So got a small update for this nugget.

The other day it ticked over to 379,000km which means I've done 60,000km in just under 2 and 1/3rd years or on average 25,714km (15,970 miles) per year.

I've also painted the 4/2 pots in red, but then decided to paint them black and they were a bit gaudy for my taste. Subtlety seems to be a trend with my current cars.

On Thurday while transport the replacement tailgate for the project car I parked outside a Super Cheap Auto to get some stuff and came back to this.

Although I'm very picky about which super cars I like it was still awesome to see and kinda nice that he felt comfortable enough to parked new to my Jap econobox, weird I know but I'll take it.

I was wondering to the folks who've ran the 4/2 pots on the stock master cylinder how bad was it and how much do I need to upgrade to an STI one.

Anyway that's it for now.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza Wagon
525 Posts
No need to upgrade the master cylinder for the 4/2 pots - I ran those brakes for years and never felt like it was lacking anything. I'm running them now on the wrx master cylinder which is nearly identical to the GF one..

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
So this is the update that everyone dreads. On Saturday I was driving over to my girlfriends. I stopped at a roundabout. The guy behind me didn't. That's about it.

You can see how far forward the bumper is pushed.

You can see the tailgate is rooted

And the nail in the coffin. The rear floor plan is kinked

So I went to the autobody shop and they're doing a quote but the guy thinks it'll be a repairable write off. It would need the floor pan unbent, a new rear bumper, new tailgate and the new drivers light. And that's just from what I can see. And the cars not worth enough to do that. I've made the decision that if it is totaled out that I won't repair it. Although the damage doesn't look that bad the damage to the floor pan is a deal breaker for me. It's a sad thing to say but I think it's the right thing to do. I'll drive it for the next couple of months until I can get my full license and then buy my dream attainable car.

But this won't be the end of this car. I don't think I'd ever be able to bring myself to part it out when I take it off the road. So my current plan is to lift it on forester struts and take it to the farm as dad has been looking at a Subaru as a farm runaround anyway. It allows me to keep the car and know that it's still got a purpose. Anyway this was never the end I wanted for this car but that's life I guess. I always said to myself that I'd never really buy another GF8/GC8 if this was done and that's the reality of it.

Ever since I saw the Top Gear Africa Special I've dreamed of a World Rally Blue Bugeye WRX wagon. So I've got to look at the positives of the situation and let this allow me to get my dream attainable car. So I think that's the next car for me.

Thanks for reading,

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
Ugh. That sucks. I dread that happening to my car. Good luck with whichever direction you decide on for the project and keep us posted. :)

61 - 80 of 101 Posts