Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Cheers The Yellow Monster.

Most of the evolving in the future will be in the handing department as I can't bring my self to swap or turbo while the engine is in such amazing condition. Also I've got to get it to 386,000km so i can say my car has driven to the moon.

Past few weeks it has been pissing down with rain so not to much. I have managed to finally get one of the wheels repainted and I don't think it looks to bad for a rattle can job.

Also about time.

I had my 21st too and here is part 1 of 2 items I recieved, the other being a mechanics trolley that hasn't been picked up yet.

I went and deleted all the photos to do with the blue sedan as they aren't really relevant.

Cheers, Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Cheers mate

In updates the weather has been crap which without access to a garage makes it impossible to do anything. I have managed to paint the second 5 spoke and started sanding back the third. Then I'll repair the other 3 and sell off two.

Went exploring in a local forest which was fun. I really need a better camera too as the iPhone isn't really cutting it anymore.

Then got her cleaned up

After nearly a year and a half of searching I finally managed to get some genuine Subaru/Rola crossbars. Oddly the underside brackets didn't fit but some work with an angle grinder changed that.

Also shows how bad clear on the roof is getting so I'm thinking of getting some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and seeing if that works at all. All and any other suggesting are welcome.

Also did the essential mod if you're ever driving in the rain of the variable wiper. It's great but for some reason the intermittent isn't working for the rear wiper.

I picked up some Clubspec Evo 5 WRX pedals for $10 but decided I didn't like the silver as it was too flashy so I sold them for $70.

Picked up a GT Forester brake bias valve that I'll put in when I change all the brakes. Was going to get the H6 upgrade but couldn't undo the bolts without my breaker bar so another trip is in order.

I decided not go with 4 pot front breaks as firstly I'm a cheap bastard, second is they have the same rotor size as the Gen 4 Liberty's (Legacy's) and I figure that the stopping distance is negligible for the 2 pot vs the 4 pot. So I have cleaned them up and painted them blaaaaack which is going to look awesome behind the Goldies.

And I picked up the other half of my 21st present. As 21st presents go I think this is up there.

I've also been debated whether to investigate a V6-V6 STI halfcut for when I'm off my P's as it would be all plug and play unlike most of the guys on here. Feel free to weigh in on that idea as I'm split between staying NA or swapping it.

Cheers, Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Is there a difference, of course. Will you notice it driving normal on the street, probably not.

That’s what I had thought. I think the money is much better spent on some good tires as they’ll have more of a difference in stopping distance that 2 pot vs 4 pot.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Well if you're in for a story about fast 86's, exploding radiators, kangaroos, crashes (not mine), breaking brakes, battle wagons and more, read ahead. If not just look at the pictures I guess as there is a few.

So I had a ride in a work mates turbo 86. It's fucking quick with 400 hp just off a road tune. It's clean as with a full Varis kit.

A week after I had the timing belt done (100,000km service) I finished a spirited drive to come home to coolant leaking out of the bumper. No damaged fortunately as it split on top but it left me with out a car for the week.

Unluckily/luckily my mum has broken her collarbone meaning she can't drive, so I borrowed the 415,000 km outback. Within 15 minutes of driving hit a kangaroo smack bang in the middle of the bonnet. Luckily it only needs a new bonnet as the rest isn't damaged.

The weekend I got my car back I decided to change the brakes over. This included a brake bias valve from a GT forester, 4th gen front brakes and H6 rears. That was uneventful except for a banjo bolt decided that it didn't want to be useful anymore.

While I was at the wreckers looking for a bonnet to replace the kangaroo'd one (no luck) I spotted a woodgrain steering wheel. My brother has mentioned wanting one so I picked it up straight away.

I just did a little refurbishment and switched the cruise control switch from one to the other as the plugs were different.

Before/After

Ignore the messy car. Pete has been living out of it for months now.

Also got some tyres put on some wheels I had lying around and put them on the forester.

Now we have reached the previous weekend just gone.

Hit a major milestone.

I picked some wheels that most of you would be familiar with (more on this later). One has some rash in the center so I repaired that.

I also used the leftover brake caliper paint to redo a few things around the car that were worse for wear. Mainly the wipers, battery tie down and alternator shroud.

I used caliper paint as I had repainted them once already and it has cracked and pealed due to the heat. I figured it is heat resistant so it will last longer.

Made a leak proof oil filler out of an old oil cap and a $1 funnel.

Finally test fitted the fog covers. Not sold on them yet but that's probably because they're still in primer and being held on with tape.

Now today I picked up the so far unnamed wheels. These were wrapped in Federal EVO ST-1's as I'd like to do a track day soon and these were recommended as a budget track tyre. One of these has been repainted as it had rash but I couldn't tell you which from this photo.

And here they are on the car. I glad to finally get rid of the other wheels as I'd started to hate them. Plus they'd rubbed through the fender lining. I have replacement ones ready to fit, I just need the driver bumper lining.

In my opinion they really are the best looking standard OEM wheel Subaru ever made. The GC8 6 Spoke being a close second.

Sorry about this being a bit of an image dump, I didn't realise how many things had been done. If you made it this far reading, well done. Hope this was of some interest.

Edit: I also forgot to as that I hardwired a BlackVue dashcam after seeing a car get t-boned by a semi-trailer. It was really simple and cost less that $250 AUD with a battery box. I would suggest it to anyone as it's cheap and could save you a lot of money in the future.

Luke :)

·
Registered
Bluebird
691 Posts
That's coming along nicely, and I agree those 5's are the best OEM subaru wheel ever!

What did you use for reconditioning the leather on the wheel? I need to fix mine up.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
That's coming along nicely, and I agree those 5's are the best OEM subaru wheel ever!

What did you use for reconditioning the leather on the wheel? I need to fix mine up.
They are indeed. These have a bit of gutter rash but for $90 AUD I can't complain.

I used a product from a guy in Queensland. He's a joy to buy from and deal with. I has a parcel go missing in the post and he sent me the next level up repair kit with express post, free of charge.

Leather repair kit, Leather Filler,Fixes Leather Cracks & Scratches BLACK ONLY | eBay

It's not going to repair an absolutely munted wheel but cleans up wear and tear nicely.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Quick update.

Spent way to much time making this. You can probably relate if you have an EJ22E.

Found some more cool spots to pretend I'm Colin McRae

I went to replace the fender lining as the previous ones have hole for the previous wheel rubbing through. The bolt holding the front spats spun so I'll have to come back with a drill and rivnuts later. While I was there I cleaned out some dirt. Honestly less than I though there would be.

Another milestone.

I went to the wreckers last week to to grab a new cigarette lighter for mum's car amongst some other things and as I was leaving I spotted this.

Sadly it didn't have the matching ashtray but I can't complain for $24. Also if anyone knows what the trim is called or has a matching ashtray for sale PM me.

The annual car parts fund is coming up and I've been thinking a skid plate is in order. I've been looking at the RallyTek one but I'm open to suggestion of other brands. Also going to pick up a ground kit as I hear good things about them.

I was reading the other day that the Tribeca front swaybar fits NA EJ's so if anyone has any experience with them I'd love to know.

Cheers,
Luke

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i have too. but i have no idea what iteration it came from. jdm gary was selling a set a while back. maybe PM him to see if he has/can get you the matching ashtray..?

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Looks good!

I swear I have seen that trim before

I've seen a photo of one for sale but when I clicked on the link it was dead.

I have too. but i have no idea what iteration it came from. jdm gary was selling a set a while back. maybe PM him to see if he has/can get you the matching ashtray..?

That's a good idea. I'll get in contact. My worry is that the ashtray will cost more than the trim itself as is was only $24.

For now I'm not too fussed as I picked up plastic ashtray to paint. I'm thinking gunmetal and maybe find a nice sticker to break it up (will take suggestions on colour and sticker).

RB5 maybe?
I had a look at some photos and they seem to have the Euro Spec shroud with only a single din. I pulled it out of what looked like a stock NA SF5 and is definitely wasn't meant to be there.

In this ad it has a matching shifter trim and from window switches but it looks to be an NA JDM SF5 so maybe it was a JDM option or something.

https://www.beforward.jp/subaru/forester/bf585762/id/707551/

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Cheers cabfiveforty. Hopefully this one is doing yours some justice.

So just mainly general maintenance as I haven't had much time because of moving and life being hectic. But still hoping some interesting stuff nonetheless.

So I went to the snow for a few days and the wagon handled it like a champ. 1,200km in three days, which it was only driven on two.
Ages back, before I had this car I managed to pick up two sets of Rola ski holders for $2.5 a pair, so these came in handy. Here's a picture of them on the car.

Right in the middle of moving this happened. Is there a cool kids club I get to join now?

The this weekend was MK.II at replacing the fender lining. This might be a bit jumbled because of the order it has to happen.

While I was there I did the 90's Subaru dance of straightening the pinch welds.

I was held up last time by a rusted bolt (god I love rusty cars from the 90's). A Dremel finished that and I replaced it with a rivnut once 20 years or dirt was removed.

On another note I don't know how you guys do it over in the states. Here I am complaining about a rusted bolt here and there and that's nothing compared to what your cars are like.

Also to showcase my ultimate JDM-ness with a mismatched panel.

I finally managed to troubleshoot why my drivers fog light wasn't working. Corroded Plug, so a screwdriver shoved where it shouldn't be fixed that. Also removed the strut spacers in the front (made from a cutting board) as they were only there to stop the old wheels rubbing. I checked the struts for leaks while I was at it because lowering springs and they all seem fine so that's good

Also when I got my car serviced all the mechanics loved the spare key. There was also a guy getting work done to his Hilux or Landcrusier who spent 2.5 times what my car cost on just the suspension. I couldn't believe it.

It was also my brothers 19th birthday the other day. He'd been wanting a roof basket for a while so I grabbed one off eBay for next to nothing. He's thinking red brake calipers next and I'm included to agree. Also my car because it's clean for once.

Not too much to do next on the list. Fog light covers are next, locating the god damn rattle near the passenger side boot and fixing the old bumper to sell. Still on the lookout for a complete compass pack. Maybe a new passenger rear door too. I'm also temped by the A.P. Rally lights after seeing them on bansheeboy's wagon but that's another story altogether.

Overall I'm really happy with it and it's reliable and honestly that can make for a pretty boring story, but I'm hoping to take her to a track day in the next month or two and maybe some car meets, but lets see.

Thanks for the read. Any ideas, suggestions, comments or criticisms feel free to chime in.

The only guy here from down under, Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
In this episode of cars that shouldn't have anymore money spent on them but will anyway. I discover why the first gens have vents on the bonnet.

I came out to my car one morning after frost and these where the two spots that had the most heat. I guess there was logic in their location.

Another milestone. I've now had the car or 44,000 kms which isn't to bad.

I went to SubiNats on the weekend and there was a ton of cool Subarus but this was the best by far. It didn't run but I did get to push it off the truck so that's something.

I come to the realisation that show and shine isn't my thing, but watching the cars race was something else entirely.

I'm slowing putting the photos up on instagram which is @lukeyorkholmes so feel free to follow me. But for the non users I've put an Imgur album together which is here - SubiNats-2018

Last weekend I went on a 2 hour detour on the way to my parents to pick up these. The reason the are blue is this were made back when they were manufactured in Australia. They both 22mm of an NA SF5 so they'll bolt up no problem. Total cost once I bought bushings was $200 so that's not to bad. I'll install them as work when my mate brings in his car jack.

One the way to SubiNats I picked these up for $85 from the wreckers. They had the rear 2 pots but I didn't have a breaker bar and they cost alot more so I left it.

I'm not sure if they'll end up on this car or the incoming project as the unnamed project will make much better use of them. And I can't be bothered bleeding the brakes again right now.

Plus I think the current brakes with the wheels look great as is so I'll probably leave it for now.

I've also amassed a few flyers and booklets from the wreckers over the past while so I thought I'd share.

Also my brother picked this up while on his course which is cool.

I'm really keen to install the sway bars and think it'll change the handling for good with the car.

I posted it above but for the people who skim read here's the link to my Subinats photo album - SubiNats-2018

Thanks for reading,

Luke :)

41 - 60 of 101 Posts