Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interesting...was this an E-bay wing? I kinda want one, even understanding quality issues. My main concern is mounting...
I bought it from a guy in Melbourne but it looks like it. I mounted using the two stock lower bolts, and although not the best, it won't come off unless you put a fair bit of pressure.

Just of note, when I got mine it was cracked alone the mounting points due to poor shipping so I've refiberglassed it. I'll take a picture of what I've done in the morning.

NemeGuero asked about it earlier and this was the link he said.
Sym Roof Spoiler Spoiler Wing Gc8 5dr For Subaru Impreza 93-01 Mod | eBay

I would recommend adding fiberglass to the mounting points to strengthen it but it's definitely not necessary.

Hope this was of help.

Luke :)

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,586 Posts
I bought it from a guy in Melbourne but it looks like it. I mounted using the two stock lower bolts, and although not the best, it won't come off unless you put a fair bit of pressure.

Just of note, when I got mine it was cracked alone the mounting points due to poor shipping so I've refiberglassed it. I'll take a picture of what I've done in the morning.

NemeGuero asked about it earlier and this was the link he said.
Sym Roof Spoiler Spoiler Wing Gc8 5dr For Subaru Impreza 93-01 Mod | eBay

I would recommend adding fiberglass to the mounting points to strengthen it but it's definitely not necessary.

Hope this was of help.

Thank you! That is helpful...I seem to remember them being cheaper. That's not far off genuine STI wing money.

Thank you!

·
Registered
95 impreza wagon
734 Posts
Duraflex makes one as well that is slightly cheaper.. but you gotta do the cutting for the mounting brackets and it probably doesn't fit as well.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
i think. think. that might be the hill holder feature. i personally have never seen that item before on a usdm car. or well, any subaru for that matter, and the hillholder is the only thing i can think of it possibly being.

LYH45 said:
I think if the struts where solid steel bar they would be more comfortable than those.
i :lol: 'd pretty hard at this one.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
i think. think. that might be the hill holder feature. i personally have never seen that item before on a usdm car.
Thanks Brian. I was wondering if it was crucial to the clutch but that backs up my mothers theory on it. I don't think it was ever on a usdm car as all the drivers stuff is on that side with probably gets in the way of it. I probably won't use it on the sedan but I'll remove it for the wagon and install it in like like 50 years.

So in bargain of the month I manage to pick up a set of KYB AGX with some kings superlows for a gf8 for $150 AUD. Unfortunately that means the rear will be higher, which will give it a muscle car rake. If i don't like it I'll sell or swap them for the sedan equivalent.
On the wagon front I have gone back to the stock top wing. This is because I was pulled over out of a line of traffic traveling as the same speed and fined for speeding, I might loose my license for a few months as a result. She still looks good though :). Also ran into a V3 WRX wagon at the servo in Acadia Green and had a good chat with the owner. It was stock and has 295,000 km on it which is awesome.

Turn away now if you can't handle nerdy stuff. Another one of my small projects is to make a Lego V4 STI Coupe which is almost at completion. The steering wheel needs changing. Excuse the shitty photos. I'll try and uplode some better photos if there's any interest.

Both doors open and so does the boot and bonnet. And there is an ej engine in there but it needs a lot of work. It's a nerdy project but a fun one and something no one has ever done.

Hope this was of some interest.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
and that lego car is AWESOME!
Thanks, it looks a bit E30 in the rear at the moment. But its been a fun little project

I think stock top wing looks better.
Its too big!
Yeah at first it was a bit of a shock to see it missing. But after having it for a few days the stock wing it's sitting with me a lot better. I was going to sell the syms wing, but I decided just to keep it for now. I might see if a can swap it for a OEM STI top wing.

I'm currently on the lookout for a green top wing without warping with good paint.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
So not much more to report as I'm up in Sydney for the next few weeks for work. So I've just cleaned up the journal up again to make it easier to read/view.

The other day I picked up a Liberty (Legacy) steering wheel or so I've been told. It's identical to the V4 STI steering wheel but it has cruise control which is pretty cool as I didn't know they even existed. Best part is I lowballed the guy and he gave it to me for $80 ($60 USD)

I also picked up a front and rear sway bar of a 2006 WRX for $20 ($15 USD). Sadly from what I've read I can't use the front but is was still cheap.

I also have picked up some BBS 16 inch wheels with tires off a 3rd gen B4 Libery (Legacy) for $100 ($75 USD). The tires don't have much life left in them but I'm tempted to put them of the wagon to burn through whats left. I ended up selling them as all 4 were bent.

I also found I think my favourite photo I've ever taken. This was taken way back on the way home from my skiing trip. It need to be view in a larger size to fully appreciate it. It's not to bad for an iPhone picture.

Sorry for the boring update but I'm stoked about the Momo steering wheel and the B4 BBS wheels and had to share.

Cheer, Luke :)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
love that steering wheel. i have the same one. love the part that it's blacked out-ish. i'm not a fame of the momo ones with the chrome center nonsense.

those BBS wheels will look awesome on there. do it stat.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
love that steering wheel. i have the same one. love the part that it's blacked out-ish. i'm not a fame of the momo ones with the chrome center nonsense.
Thats what I loved about it. This will go on the sedan as I'm on the look out for a Wood Grain Steering wheel that I'll put a V4 Airbag in for the wagon.

those BBS wheels will look awesome on there. do it stat.
Unfortunately I realised when I got home that two of the wheels were 40's and two where 45 so I feel sorry for the B4 that these where previously on.

I also finally secured a Job in my field which mean there will actually be funds for the car finally. It also mean I won't be able to work on the car during the week as I'll be returning to Sydney for the work.

Hope this is of some interest.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So it's been a little while, and a fair bit has changed. I've been avoiding posting for a little while as I came to the realization that I didn't have the time, energy nor the resources to hold onto the sedan. So today I sold it for a young kid who is going to fix it up to become a 'P' plate car.

I sold it for $900 dollar, which included everything that I had with the exception of the blue front bumper, and I thought was a fair price. The bumper I'm going to fix up and sell separately.

This means I made a profit of $730 on it which isn't to bad, as the car had cost me $170 excluding the front bumper.

I also sold the Syms wing for $350 which is about what it cost me. Some guy didn't read the ad and decided to offer me $150 for the entire car, missing a zero or two in my biased opinion.

About 2 months ago I had the airbag light come on in my car. I took it to subaru and they diagnose it as a bad clockspring. They quoted me $420 to get a used replacement and fix it, I said yes. They ended up ordering the wrong part, which I had a hunch they would. I tried explaining to the guy, but he wasn't having any of it.

They said they would have to order a new part from the VIN, which would cost $980 with labour, so fuck that. I turns out that my local wrecker had just brought in a 1997 LX wagon with airbag clockspring. It fixed it and only cost $77 which I was pleased about.

I gave the engine bay a quick clean, and it still looks great.

Also gave the car a wash which show the paints age a bitand finally got the brake dust off the tires. The wheel now look amazing and I fall in love with the car every time I look at it now. Sadly no photo of that as of yet.

The car also ticked over to 333,333 kms so I guess the car is now half the devil or something.

I also got a nice photo in the forestry near my parents.

In actual progress of the car, I kept the V4 steering wheel and am waiting for a restoring kit for it. Today I got some gold paint for the 5 spokes so I keen to see how it will turn out.
And I finally picked up some fog light cover and for only $30. Rep with no mountings but that's ok.

I finally ordered a RS25 wagon sticker because I think I should rep the site that has helped me do everything.

Sorry for the long read, it got slightly out of hand.

Cheer, Luke

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Thanks, I was a bit insulted tbh. I don't think I'd sell for that amount either, but I've never been very logical with it comes to cars.

In updates, more progress has happened this week than in the past few months.
I painted one of the rims with the gold paint I picked up to see how it would look. It looks great, the colour's not yellow enough compared to OEM, so I've ordered some Duplicolour GS100. I also realised that one rim has had the lip machined so I'm going to grab another one as I'd like it to match.

I also managed to hammer out a damaged lip on another one of the rims which was an effort and a half.

I also installed a new RSB today, same size but rust proofed with some paint $4 spray paint and clear. The red looks cooler anyway and the old one will go on my brothers forester one I get the RSB bushings.

I also received the steering wheel refinishing kit. I has done wonders and the wheel looks as good as new. I went round with a sewing pin and redid the pattern, as shown in the comparison photo. This was after 1 coat of the leather refinishing compound had been applied in the first photo

Today I did something I had remembered to do every time I got fuel and forgot immediately after. I just used a scourer pad and steel wool, and it makes a huge difference

And in final news for the week, I was leaving work and went to unlock my car. The car fob was missing from my key. Turns out it was in my pocket and the plastic case had cracked. I looked at getting a new one but couldn't find one and I'm stingy so I'm not buying a new one.
So I fixed it with a bit of sandpaper, coat-hanger wire, and superglue and I don't think it looks half bad.

If anyone has any suggestions with what to fill the damaged rim lip in the image above I would appreciate it. I was planning on using bondo but would love to know if there was a better alternative.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Weld the wheel gap with similar material.
Sadly I don't have access to any sort of welder or torch. I also don't really want to spend too much on fixing it as the wheel only cost $20

I guess I should have waited till today to update instead of updating yesterday as I have a few more things to add.

So embarrassingly enough, when I originally painted the brakes I didn't fully read the instructions. This lead to me completely missing to step of baking the paint. This meant all the dust and grime stuck to the paint and won't come out with a wash.
Now I'm not going to go to the trouble of repainting them properly because I hoping to go 4 Pot front and H6 rear brakes as an upgrade, but I thought in the meanwhile I should have a go at cleaning them up.
All that was used to clean them up was some Scotch Brite and Jif. While the wheels were off I used the oppertunity to clean them and the wheel tubs. I honestly thought they were black, turns out they are green.

Next I replace the rear passenger arm rest as it has had a tear in it for as long as I've owned it and recently the window switch clip hole broke in the front. I only managed to get the arm rest at the wreckers and not the door card as it was out of a sedan.
This was done with the plastic 'rivets??' drilled out and replaced with screws. I hadn't cleaned it in the after photo.

And last but not least, the clean car in all her glory. Still to this point the car has only cost $3150 and it's a pretty mad car for that price.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts