Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I played around with the project lambda software (and using dads wideband sensor) ages ago when the stock injectors were in. I had to up the VE a fair bit above 5000RPM. now its pretty good. Setting some safe timing figures when on boost is what I'm a little worried about
Well that's good. Any chance that you can send a photo or the file across once I get project lambda to see what kind of changes have happened and that I should be doing to get my head around it?

Just a quick progress picture of the grill. Not bad for a cost of $47 so far.

I haven't ended up going home this weekend so I went to the local pick and payless (my other home away from home). I grabbed some liberty rear bump stops (I'll get a comparison photo next week to show why) and I managed to find a matching front pair of outback spats/mudguard (rears came on the car) which I haven't seen on many cars. It cost $14 so I'm completely bankrupt as it's such a huge expense. I also got a whole bunch of bumper clips and such, a window sill trim and a rear drivers tail light (I got that 2 weeks back though) for my GF8, and a replacement midpipe for my brother forester as it has a hole in it.

I've finally managed to track down a bolt on exhaust. It's not OEM but it looks like it won't be loud and it's not a cannon thank god. And funnily enough it's from the guy who I swapped the lowered springs for this car with. I'm hopefully getting that next weekend. It did come off a B4 sedan which means the tip will be a little shorter but it shouldn't be too bad.

I also ordered the fittings to tie off the breather hoses into the intake so that can get finished too.

I'll be back working on the car next Saturday and the Tuesday after so hopefully something will happen soon.

Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
That grill is gonna look forking NICE! You could probly sell those and make a pretty penny...
Cheers, I probably could but I'd hate to know how many hours each one would take as I'm probably 5-8 hours into it so far (with hand tools though)
Do they have pennies in AU?

hehe
Not anymore but we used to. Australia originally had English currency and therefore pennies.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
So I've been after a set of wheels for this car for a while and have come across some Advan RG1's (17x7.5)in gold for a decent price. I've always loved these wheels but haven't seen them for sale before.

I've done a quick Photoshop just to see what they'll look like. I like them but just want so feedback from others as well before I buy because it's a decent amount of money to spend.

So what do people think?

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I'm a sucker for 00-01 6 spokes.
So am I. Sadly they wouldn't clear the front brakes.
I think they'd look better in 18's with some meaty tires.
Yeah I was weighing up 17's vs 18's. But you gotta get stuff while it's available. And I hadn't seen anything I liked in 18's for sale.
Saaaaaame, though the Advans look close enough for one wanting larger wheels.
Hadn't even thought of that though it's true.

So I ended up buying the wheels last Thursday. I got them for $770 AUD ($530 USD) shipped and given I just saw an add on here with identically spec'd wheels for nearly 3 times that I think I got a good price. I'm thinking a 235/45R17 tyre will fill the wheel well and leave plenty of sidewall. Plus it's a common size and you can get cheap RE003's for them.

I finally picked up an exhaust on Saturday. NA left and turbo right.

But in true fashion it didn't fit. It was about 100mm to long and the flange was wrong. Luckily the guy I bought the exhaust off gave me an XT midpipe so I cut the flange and cat and got them welded.

The rear exhaust hangers need a bit of persuasion from a hammer as the exhaust sat to high. Still needs a tiny bit of adjustment but here's what it looks like at the moment.

I started working on the rear finally. I swapped out the rear bump stops to liberty style ones. You can see the difference. Liberty on the right

And I also painted the wheel well and caliper on the passenger side. There is so much dirt is takes forever to clean.

On the way back up to Sydney today I picked up a Liberty B4 rear sway bar (17mm) which I've also been after for a while now.

Anyway that's all for now as I only really got to work on it today.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
105 Posts
What model was the exhaust off? You seem to have so many more part available up there than down in melbourne..

You might have some rubbing issues on the front with those tyres, even my 225/50r17s will rub under hard cornering. Not too bad though. My front might be a fraction lower than yours too.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
What model was the exhaust off? You seem to have so many more part available up there than down in melbourne..
It was off a Gen 3 B4 but I suspect that it had a custom dump pipe. Also because I'm using a GD dump pipe the length may vary.
Don't worry I've been struggling to find parts. You just have to find the right people. For example I got the exhaust off the same person I swapped the Kings springs for the GT ones. I got the sway bar of the same guy I got the bonnet off. If you're after anything in particular I can always try and get it for you and send it down.
You might have some rubbing issues on the front with those tyres, even my 225/50r17s will rub under hard cornering. Not too bad though. My front might be a fraction lower than yours too.
Thanks for the warning. A 235/45R17 ends up being about 20mm less in diameter than a 225/50R17 so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Interesting rear suspension. I assumed abroad has the same struts as us.

The more you know
I'm pretty sure they are the same world wide. The Gen 3's Liberty's were the first Subaru to use multi-link suspension in the rear, followed by the Gen 4 Liberty's and then the Gen 3 WRX/Impreza with it now being standard in all Subaru's.

The Bump stop is part of the factory lift which I'm planning on removing, with this being the first step.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey LYH45 are you able to measure the diameter of that B4 exhaust? I just measured mine and its only like 2" for most of the way. I replaced it a while and thought it was 60mm at the least, shattered to find out its smaller... The turbo want enjoy that!

EDIT: Pretty certain yours will be about 60.5mm OD.. Just found some info via partsouq and the middle donut gasket. (part# 44022AA123 or 44022AA122)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Big fan of that grill!
Cheers man. It's gonna look way better than the stock one.
Hmm my 1999 was a strut. I think ours ran off the Impreza platform?
Was it USDM? If so that's 2nd gen.

Of course the 'outback sport' is an Impreza with some mods...
All 1st and 2nd gen 90's Subaru's used McPherson struts on the front and rear. The MY98 was a Gen 2 in Australia which means that a MY99 is a Gen 2 in the US as you guys are a year behind compared to AUDM and JDM cars.
Hey LYH45 are you able to measure the diameter of that B4 exhaust? I just measured mine and its only like 2" for most of the way. I replaced it a while and thought it was 60mm at the least, shattered to find out its smaller... The turbo want enjoy that!

EDIT: Pretty certain yours will be about 60.5mm OD.. Just found some info via partsouq and the middle donut gasket. (part# 44022AA123 or 44022AA122)
Yeah the stock XT flange and cat is 2.45 inches so I'm pretty sure the rest of it is 2.5 inches as it was very slightly larger.

So in other news the Advan RGI's have arrived today. They've had a hard life and have a few scratches and a bit of gutter rash but they'll clean up alright. And its not exactly going on a show car. I also just ordered some Bridgestone RE003's in 235/45R17 for a total fitted and balanced price of $576 AUD ($400 USD) which is super cheap. Sadly they wont be fitted until Monday so no drive this weekend.

I wasn't aiming for RE003's or even considering getting new tyres but they are the tyre of choice for Subaru's in Australia and given how cheap they are I'd be stupid not to.

But gent's, 9 months in we are getting close to a drive around the block. Of course with no alignment or tune or anything because that would be logical. When it gets to that I'll try and get some videos.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts