Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
ill be going front mount on mine, 450x300x76 and run the 2.5" pipes under the radiator support bar then up. Really hoping not to cut holes anywhere.. You?
I'll be cutting a fair bit of thin crap off the rear of the bumper support, thats about it i think
I was thinking of the same with going under the core support but I'm not entirely sure as it could scrape really easily without protection. I'm going to have a look at running the pipe inside the crash bar, if it's even possible.

Wow, I'll have to take a closer look at the rails on my ej251, compared to the older models your FPR sits WAAAY off the rail.
Yeah it was way off, the regulator sat where the turbine is.

You should be good without flaring, I haven't had any leaks except for when I forgot to tighten a clamp.
Oh that's good. I wasn't happy with the routing of the hose, so I'll probably cut the piping further back, so the hose just travel in the shortest path.

On that note I traveled to the wreckers after work today as I left work early. I went to get some more fuel hose clamps (for the plan as mentioned above) and a radiator hose clamp. While I was there I grabbed an aluminium thermostat housing of an EJ22. It looks like it will bolt up no issue and a replacement carpet as the one in the car is grot.

While I was there I spotted a newly place 2007 Spec B H6 and I couldn't believe the size of the front rotors. I had been going back and fourth on putting the 4/2 WRX brakes on the car as I'd prefer them on the GF8 and don't want to buy another set. I was even considering Brembos on the outback. When I spotted these I knew the solution. 316mm rotor on the BH9 with stock on the back, allowing for the 4/2 pots to be donated to the GF8 in the long term. And if they're good enough for supergramps, they're good enough for this nugget.

I still can't get over the size of these. My hand for scale.

Scale with a 16 inch WRX 5 spoke. I don't think they'll fit under.

So that was a trip that was mean to cost like $5 that cost $150. I'm happy with these as they're huge, and also weight a ton. Only downside is they won't fit under the stock rims, so they won't be installed after engineering.

I won't be back working on the car till Sunday but that day should be enough time to re-install the manifold. I gone though the journal and re uploaded the images to a larger size as I didn't realise how small they were. I finally went and caught up on the cost tracking of the project and the total so far is $1357.5 spend out of my (unrealistic) budget of $5000 (or close)

That's all for now.

Luke :)

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Whoa whoa whoa. They make a Spec B H6? that sounds awesome! Is it available with the 6 speed??
6 speed and they make it in the wagon too. I almost bought one about 8 months ago but couldn't justify another car that didn't need work.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
ill be going front mount on mine, 450x300x76 and run the 2.5" pipes under the radiator support bar then up. Really hoping not to cut holes anywhere.. You?
I'll be cutting a fair bit of thin crap off the rear of the bumper support, thats about it i think
Sorry forgot to respond to this. Definitely not cutting holes anywhere on the chassis. I had a good look today and I really think its possible to run the intercooler pipe through the crash bar. How much of the crash bar will be left, will I guess I'll find out.

So I got back to my parents about mid afternoon on Saturday and got straight into it. First was changing the fuel hose path to something I was much happier with. All I did was cut the fuel line further back, just behind the bracket and tada. Ignore the lack of paint under the manifold, I missed it when painting and although it irks me not to paint it, you'll never see it anyway.

Everything except the drivers side (US passenger side) injector cover as you'll see later on.

As mentioned above the injector cover. I cut this to allow for more clearance for the turbo intake. Before and after.

Everything bolted back on, auxiliary belt back in place and a new age alternator cover. I still need to make a bracket for the power steering size of the cover. This is starting to look good (and not like an engine thats done 424,000 km) and best of all it ran with the turbo spinning and all.

Sunday morning I went into town to get some power steering fluid and when I went to fill it up I spotted this. Fuel dripping everywhere from the regulator.

I immediately knew what the culprit was as I noticed the O-ring was a tiny bit thin in one spot when putting it back together. I didn't realise it was this bad though. Shitty enlarged pic below.

As I didn't have any O-rings around I just blocked off the fuel and went on to something I can do. So I cutting the up-pipe bracket as the wouldn't bolt to the head, but it would to the transmission.

Then fitted it to the car. You can see the down-pipe sitting there as I can't do anything more with it until the turbo is bolted down.

And that's where it end for today. An image of today's victims, and fog light bolt and a midpipe bolt.

And I finally wrote a list of things to do as this is something I should have done a long time ago.

And that's it really. Dad's going to the mechanics to pick up the lawnmower and he'll grab a new O-ring for me there. I thing wrapping the exhaust and t-stat housing are next to tackle and well.... getting the car running again too I guess.

And although progress does seem slow, I'd like to think that quality and perfectionism that I'm putting into it is starting to show in the car.

Cheers, Luke :)

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,190 Posts
I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes. Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.

I'd also recommend stuffing some rags in those open holes so things don't fall in while you aren't looking.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,696 Posts
I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes. Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.

I'd also recommend stuffing some rags in those open holes so things don't fall in while you aren't looking.
I did the same thing. Just used some random bracket I had laying around and modified it to fit.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3391533-post318.html

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I don't have a picture of mine, but a bracket was made for my car utilizing the empty bolt hole on the back of the head, and the free stud hole on the up pipe that isn't used by the turbo gasket. Just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in to it and a slight bend as it isn't a straight across shot between the holes
I did the same thing. Just used some random bracket I had laying around and modified it to fit.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3391533-post318.html
Good to know. I think what I have should work fine but if it doesn't its a simple solution
Solid progress! I'm enjoying seeing you tackle the same things I had to.
Thanks. It can painful and sometimes I think "why didn't I just swap it" as it would have taken a lot of the headache out of it but where's the fun it that.
Yeah might be a bit late. I'm pretty sure my PH2 driver ended up in there yesterday. It's no loss as I have to take the headers off to wrap it anyway but I'll do it in future as it wasn't my smartest move.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So today I managed to get 3 items done off the list.

I started by wrapping the headers and up-pipe in eBay's finest (cheapest) heatwrap. At less than $1 a meter I can't complain.

It even came out looking semi-professional. It seemed like alright stuff tbh but I haven't used anything else to compare it to.

Next I cut off a part of the head that extruded out and made fitting the up-pipe a nightmare. Like you still have to lift the engine up (hence the brick on the jack) to fit it, but now you don't have to spend 30 minute twisting and turning it to get it in and out. Plus the up-pipe was hitting on that part of the head so it had to go.

You can see where it was cut at 45 degrees just behind the furthest away exhaust stud.

Next I replaced the T-stat housing with and aluminium one off a first gen Liberty (Legacy). I cleaned up the shit around where to hose attaches after the photo.

At least it's somewhat heat shielded now and the housing won't melt, just the hose.

And the finished product.

I also played around with the up-pipe bracket as it wasn't allowing the turbo to sit flat. I still have to grind a little more off but it's almost there.

Next is the intercooler piping and oil feed. They'll be a few weeks off as I'm not buying them until I reach a certain goal with my bank account. I just don't want to be putting my saving on hold too much for this project and life in general.

So that's all folks...

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Is that hose touching the heat wrap? If so that won't work for long. Especially once you start boosting and having exhaust temps in the 1200F+ range.
Yeah it's been discussed a few pages back. I finally found some silicon hoses that are for a outback/baja so hopefully they are available in black to avoid looking like shit. I'm thinking I might space the headers down using the flange off the old headers too, I'll just need to find some longer studs.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So while I'm not working on the car due to saving I decided to make a concept sketch with a smooth hood. Now I can't use Photoshop to save my life so I decided to just do a hand sketch. It's not the best but it conveys the look I wanted to see and I don't think it looks half bad.

I've drawn it with a mesh grill, front mount, an oilcooler/hella horns behind the grill and small lip on the bottom.

If you guys have any comments I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So this week the generic intercooler kit arrived, along with the turbo outlet and manifold inlet joins. Sadly the manifold inlet was the wrong size due to two mistakes, one I order it for the wrong size piping by mistake, and two being the internet lied to me and told me the inlet was 3" and not 2.75" (both really my fault but let's not dwell on that).

So this weekend I got to work on creating a piping route, and getting the car to run. Dad ended up getting a new O-ring for free at the local Subaru dealer so that fixed the fuel leak from the reg. So the cars running again. Still with a fuel issue but that's because all the fuel has been used up so that easy to fix.

The box of goodies. It doesn't look like much but I got me pretty close. It's just a generic 2.25" intercooler piping kit with black silicone joiners. It cost $100 posted so its a good starting point.

Lining up the first pieces so I could mark where to cut. You can tell I was nervous about this as I bothered to tape and check like 10 times. By the end I was doing it a bit more haphazardly.

Fortunately my dad had a metal saw that someone had left behind at his old job so I gladly made use of it. You can see some clean-up was required but it was better than using a grinder.

First pieces connected.

This is where the my weird concept came to into action. So with all of the front mounts on this chassis the piping goes real low. Like VL commodore spec. And usually they didn't have to deal with the outback fog lights, which would in this case make them lower. I don't like this as it would easily scrape and I like making my life a pain.

So this is the concept. Gut the lower crash bar and run the piping through.

It won't sit that low, and I'll make sure it not going to rattle but it's going to work and I'm stoked with that. This is only a proof of concept.

More on the cold side piping.

This is the start of the hot side. From the turbo is just a 2" to 2.25" elbow that I cut the 2" side short. This has also stolen the 45 degree pipe you can see above. Its on the order list with a few other things.

Another angle. I am worried about the fuel and ac lines touching but worse comes to worse I can just insulate them

More on the hot side. I notched the support that ties into the front and subframe to allow for the 90 degree bend to sit higher (shown in the next picture).

More hot side. The end on the left is meant to slide inside the crash bar, just haven't cut it yet.

As I was out of supplies (clamps, joins and a 45 degree piece) the last thing to do was the get the undertray to fit. This was pretty simple as only one thing was now in the way. You can see my rather reserved marking for cutting. Needed to be about 15mm lower.

Undertray all fitted up.

And one final pic of the "finished" product.

I still need to order some more parts, mainly a few joiners and a 45 degree pipe. This means I can now order the intercooler as I was holding out to see if crash bar plan would work.

What do people think about the piping colour. Natural (as is) black or red. Also any recommendations would be great.

That's it for the next fortnight as I won't be home next weekend so yeah, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have you got a link to the piping kit??

I was thinking of going under the radiator then up and have the intercooler ports on the the bottom. Now you've got me thinking haha

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
looking good luke!
Nice progress.
Good job.
Thanks guys.
Intercooler piping looks great. Personally I'd keep it as is, looks fresh. Are you using the stock ej251 injectors for now?
Yeah that's the plan for now. I'm only planning on running 5-6 psi as I don't think the engine could take much more with the age and kilometres.
More and more I'm liking the silver. Will definitely need a polish though.
Have you got a link to the piping kit??
I was thinking of going under the radiator then up and have the intercooler ports on the the bottom. Now you've got me thinking haha
2.25" INCH 57MM ALUMINUM TURBO INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT UNIVERSAL PIPES +CLAMP | eBay
Here's the link. I got a discount due to a promo but it's still fairly priced.
That was my original plan too but I wasn't happy with making it the lowest point on the chassis. I also wanted to make is look as neat and factory as possible. Honestly I think it's the cleanest way to ever run a front mount.

Last night I ordered the rest of the silicon joins except the one for the throttle body. I went with red as it's about a 3rd of the price of getting black. And all the joins will be out of the engine bay anyway so I think it will work. Black for in the engine bay. Red for the outside the chassis.

When I did that the straight joiners I got are 2.25" to 2.5" reducer to the intercooler as it gives me more options and again, about a 3rd of the price of getting 2.25" straight.

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
So back at it again. Had a bunch of parts arrive over the past week to help finish the intercooler piping as well as the intercooler too.

I also picked some Liberty (Legacy) suspension from about 20 minutes from my place for $300 ($215 USD) which was a score. They are Koni struts on kings low springs from a Gen 4 Wagon so I'll need to change the front tophats. The setup only has about 30,000km on it so they will work nicely. The bottom of the front struts has just been painted yellow that's seen better days so I'll repaint them in black which is what they were originally.

Collected parts

Started by connecting the throttle body to the rest of the piping. I'll be rotating the t-bolts so you wont see them at finally assembly.

Next was to hack the crashbar to shit, but with some elegance. Marking out the area to remove. This needed to be done as there's a gusset? behind it that needs to be gone. It was mirrored on the other side.

After cutting had happened. There was way to much time spent cleaning and grinding things that no one will ever see. But I wouldn't be able to live with it if I didn't. The other side was completed the next day.

First test fit with the intercooler. It looks a bit small but I didn't want it much lower. I'll be drilling some holes in the crash bar to allow for more air flow.

A photo showing the area cut out from below. I'll get some better photos one the crashbar is finished as it still needs more work done to it.

On to the last thing done on Saturday. The drivers side intercooler pipe routing.

To start Saturday I though I'd show a very sleepy and comfortable dog in the drivers seat.

Then I cut out the boxed in section on the other side. Basically a mirror of what's shown further up in the post. That was the last thing I did on the crashbar on the weekend as after that I took an angle grinder to thumb. Nothing to bad but enough to deter any other grinding work for the rest of the day.

Next I focused on getting the rest of the piping routed. The passenger side done. The red angle replaced the black as it'll be used for the turbo inlet.

The final result (as of Sunday afternoon). There's still plenty to do. Mainly the holes in the front of the crash bar for the more air, mounting the intercooler (as it's just sitting on the silicone joiners at the moment) and a little bit of notching for t-bolt clearance. Once done I'll paint it in either the satin black or underlay paint that I used for the wheel well. I'm thinking the latter as it'll hide imperfections better.

Also the crashbar is now a hell of a lot lighter. But that may be down to the fact I've removed a ton of the steel.

I did run the car with the piping connected all the way to the throttle body join (with it removed as I haven't cleaned out the pipes yet) and I couldn't feel any air which was weird. It may have been because the turbo isn't bolted down yet but even then I would think that you'd feel some air coming out. Oh well that will be fun to troubleshoot.

Anyway that's it for now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey have you done any research into where the O2 sensor should be mounted? I think i found that for our cars (only 1 sensor), that is should be about 300mm after the turbo. Not in the up pipe?

Also how well did the down pipe in the outback? I'm still tack-welding mine up, slowly getting there..

41 - 60 of 159 Posts