Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive herd that if you lower the sucbie i will mess up the AWD? does anyone know if that is true and if it is what is the best way to not mess it up? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Not that I know of. My RS has been lowered for something like 25,000 miles and not a single mechanical problem.

The usual problems related to lowering still apply, of course, such as:

Fender rubbing tires (in some cases with aftermarket rims usually)
Mis-adjusted camber = uneven tire wear
Bottoming out on big bumps
Better handling
Chick magnet
More fun to drive

:D

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:biggest: yea i didnt think that there would be any problems! just looks like im going to have to order some coil overs

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Only problem with lowering a Scoobie is that those fun little logging roads and rally-x's don't go so easily. Which is why I'm not lowering my car, since I actualy take it off-road from time to time, and the ground clearence comes in handy when pulling into steep driveways. But if you don't take yours off road, then you don't really need the ground clearence, and there are lots of people with lowered Subarus, and I've never heard of a single AWD problem it causes.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
One reason I don't lower mine is due to the lovely piles of snow I get here in MN. Even though they plow the roads, there's gonna be a time when I'll be driving through a snow pile causing me to spin and lose traction. Or those tiny parking spaces where you'll scuff your front lip... I've hit my front two metal hooks under the engine area plenty of times.

Ok, I'm done. Have fun with your lowered Scooby!:)

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
kickin_81 said:
Or those tiny parking spaces where you'll scuff your front lip...
My last car was a 91 Chevy Camaro RS, and the front air dam on that thing was only a couple of inches off the ground. It was so FUBAR'd by the time I traded it in, cause I constantly hit curbs with it, really hard to judge where the front end was on that car. Ground clearence is my friend!

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
i'm dropped 1" on ground controls with kyb agx struts.

i hardly ever bottom my car out and it doesn't plow in the snow it does fine.

·
Registered
Silver '99 Impreza 2.5 RS
118 Posts
I'm lowered as well (for autox). I was worried about a trip camping right after I put the new suspension on (AGX with H&Rs) so we took the wife's Golf instead. Scraped our way up the gravel road (nothing crazy, just a seldom-used gravel road). Went back home for something (the camp spot is ony ten miles away) and decided to take the subie back (it's got a skidplate, so I figured that'd be better than bashing up the undercarriage of the Golf). No scraping at all.

Moral of the story -- lowered subie has more ground clearance than a bone-stock VW golf. ;)

Sean
www.subrew.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts