Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
08 Legacy, 93 L w/ej20g
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I did do a search and alot of the threads are about subaru ticking and different symptoms than what I am starting to experience.

So, to start, I have a 2000 2.5RS with 130k miles on it now. About 8k miles ago I got my clutch, flywheel, headgaskets, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, manifold gaskets, water pump and some other small things replaced. I changed my oil after that but then I went for 6k miles without changing my oil and I am afraid the ticking has to do something with that. I am running synthetic and I have just been so busy and working 3 jobs etc and driving lots of highway miles. Last week I drove alot and put on 700 miles and so I didnt change my oil for a bit.

Well anyway, to try and explain what is going on, a few days ago I get home from work and I hear the engine ticking a bit. Like a bomb ticking or like a timer ticking. Steadily. But it goes away when I drive or get over 1.5k rpm. (or maybe it gets drowned out by the exhaust and headers, not sure). But def at idle I can hear it. The car drives just normal but I didnt know what it was. I noticed the oil was low and so I went to jiffy lube on my lunch break and got them to change it since they were the closest place and my tools were at a friends house. I was hoping the ticking would go away but it didnt. Now it is getting louder. I asked if they noticed any metal shavings in the oil but they said they didnt pay attention (idiots!). Also, I noticed people usually experienced that the sound went away when the engine got warmer but mine seems to be the opposite. Usually in the mornings when I start the engine, I cant hear anything. But when it gets pass the "C" mark then I can start hearing it.

Anyone have any idea what this could be and if I am doing any damage by still driving it right now? I really hope I dont have to put more money into the engine at this point...sigh I was trying to save money and finish paying off all my debt this summer but if something major is going on....I really hope I dont have to spend money on it....thanks in advance guys!

· Registered
2015 WRX
2,575 Posts
Sounds like your oil pressure is lower than it should be. It makes sense that when your car is cold the noise is less apparent because the oil is thicker and therefore you'll have higher oil pressure. Once the oil warms up the pressure decreases substantially, especially at idle. It would makes sense that the noise is also less pronounced at rpms above idle because oil pressure starts to increase again... Maybe your oil pickup went dry and you scuffed a bearing.... Check for sparklies next time you change your oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.