Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
02,Impreza RS, Midnight Blue
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a somewhat loud thumping sound in my front end. sounds like something is warped kinda but im not sure. checked tires made sure bolts were on brakes are good. but im not sure what else it could be because it isnt my bearings either so my only guess could be the rotors.? how could i check.?

·
Registered
1997 GF8
331 Posts
is there ice stuck to your rims?

It throws off the balance and results in a thumping sound accompanied by steering wheel vibration

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
Look for where a weight used to be before ice pulled it off.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
Are you sure that it's not you end link? Mine came lose and I had a loud clanking sound coming from the front end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the noise changes with speed. This last week it's gotten worse. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not ice on my tires. I never checked for a weight. It's loudest when I'm turning right but it's always there. There is a sweet spot slightly to the left where there is no noise.? Could it be worse than I think?

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
Without doing some amount of diagnostics and reporting back to us, it's really hard to pinpoint.

We are recommending the first thing that comes to mind, issues maybe we've had and the easiest to look for.

Therefore, I hereby decide to change my recommendation.
I don't believe it's a thrown weight. I think you have a main bearing issue and your crank is hanging out of the oil pan. The rod bearings are ok though so the pistons are still doing their job. You hear it slightly when the crank is bouncing off the power steering rack but it's much worse as you turn because your wheel is rotating like a symphony near your now exposed crank. As the spoke portion of your wheel spins the crank bounces off each one causing your noise.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Def main bearing/external crank issue. Happens all the time. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts