Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Um, yeah, I lost my job today. And therefore my future and the future of the RS Club is uncertain at this point. I am not sure if I qualify for unemployement benefits at this point but somehow I suspect not.

What with rent coming due on the first (which I cannot pay) I may get kicked out of my house very quickly. And from there I am not sure what to do.

I am considering having a garage sale and selling everything I possibly can, but since it's snowing out I am not sure how popular that will be.

If someone can point me to a PHP host that is decent and will not charge me for the 30-35GB of traffic the site generates on a daily basis I may try to put the site up there before I go under.

I live in CO so of anyone has some ideas, or jobs, please let me know. I am trying to get a copy of my most recent resume but basically I am a Windows, Cold Fusion, SQL, and web guru with 15 years of experience.

Thanks for your support and understanding everyone. :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can only imagine how you must feel. The economy sucks, the job market still sucks and the gov seems to think that its in the middle of a recovery that doesn't exist. I came back from Japan to work at my old job with NASA and now they are already talking about cut backs after the recent shuttle screw up. I swear I'm ready to move onto a different career field. Good luck man. Hope everything works out OK for you.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
James....I can't believe that. Please don't loose hope. Let us all know what we can do from this end....

Good luck on a new job...my fingers and toes are crossed for you!! ;)

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
This is terrible news.

Good luck with whatever you do. I'm certain there is somebody out there who needs your skills.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
FUCK!

Well, did you ever sell the RS? If not, I'd say put the Typhoon and RS up for sale and off which ever someone asks about first. That should hopefully give you enough cash to stay afloat untill you find annother gig. Good luck man.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
why wont you qualify for UI? The only time you wont get it, is if you were fired.... were you fired?

You will get UI if you were layed off, contrac ended, lack of work..

I got UI once when i got fired.. employer didnt want to disclose the reason for dismissal.

Then i got UI when i lost my job as a contractor (contract ended). If you worked non-stop for the last quarter (making ~20$/h) you'll get at least 250 a week.

Cheer up man, if you get UI, you can go to school for free :)

By the way, IBM and Intel are hiring hard right now, if you put WHQL (windows hardware quality labs) on your resume you'll get a job.

GOOD LUCK DUDE

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
As my roommate once told me, "Life's a big fat whore and she's fuckin' u over!" Sorry to hear about the misfortune, but the best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, this sucks

James, still no word on this for us...If I weren;t in the same damn shit that you are I would help you out, but I think I only have rent covered until April.

Call me in the morning and maybe I will have some news on my end.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I got fired, and the reasons looks good on paper but the real reasons are IMO a bit crappy. A lot of politics basically. I don't really want to discuss it but I got screwed because of (what I feel) being assosciated with someone else who "they" were after.

I am looking into cashing in my 401k and I hopefully can live on that for a while.

I also have a few really, really good plans for businesses and I may just go into it for myself. I think I have the potential to make more on my own than working for someone else. However, finding clients may be the sticky point.

So, yeah, gotta get my resume together (it's on a hard drive that died which sucks; $100 to recover) and start looking. I've seen a few things already that I feel I am qualified for.

Also, my buddy in CA said he would host the site for a while if needed, but only has about a fifth the bandwidth I do, so things might be slow for a while.

All things happen for a reason, hopefully this is a good one. :)

·
Registered
'00 BRP RS Sedan, '04 FXT PSM
219 Posts
Wow, this is horrible. I'm really sorry to hear about this James. I hope everything works out. I moved back to California from Colorado, of all places, in 2001. It was a horrible job market here and there wasn't a damn thing for someone just barely out of college. Long story short, I started my own consulting company and have been doing alright. Finding clients is tough as hell, but we've been making money since the get go, not much, but enough to pay the bills and allow me a little freedom. Good luck!

-Brian

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
james, sorry to hear what's happening. let all of us know whatcha need help on. if i can help out, i'll hlep.

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
James, sorry to hear about your situation. Stay focused and keep your head up and everything will work out hopefully for the best :)

keith

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just found out that I have a few thousand dollars in an old 401k plan that I can cash out if needed, and that should keep me afloat for several months (4-5) if needed. So at this point I am doing okay, nothing is going to change drastically.

I'm feeling better today. Much better. Thank God for that 401k. Believe it or not, with all this war and stock market and bad economy crap it only lost 30% of it's value. That's amazing to me, I was afraid it would be in the crapper.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Man, I just got home from my honeymoon late last night, and finally get back on the internet, coming here as my first stop (still haven't even check my e-mail), and this is what I see. Glad to hear you have some saftey net there, James. Hate to see this kind of crap happen. A couple of years back, the place I was working was closed, and I had only been there about 7 months straight out of school, and it took me 11 months to find a place to work. Mind you, I only have a 2 year degree, and had hardly any experience at the time, and the recesion was going full tilt at the time. But I ended up with a decent job at Intel, and things are going well. You have lots of experience, I', sure you'll get something going soon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts