Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i found this ad on craigslist, where they have acquired a house, with an impreza on its property. And of course, its locked and they have no title, keys, or anything. And i dont want to come on here and just ask "How do you break into an old impreza?".... im just wondering is there any direct approaches i could take to getting into this car, because we WILL own it....

and afterwards what should i do?... would i have to get all new locks?

Am i just asking for too much heartaches down the road? if anything it might be a parts car :D

for proof purposes... here is the listing.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/754490877.html

any info would be nice, we are going to go see it tomorrow... (er today! :D )

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Nice. Looks like quite the project but it's cheap. Getting a title for it will be the fun part. Not sure how legal it is for them to sell a car that was left on there property. I think they can apply for a title and if no one claims it within a length of time it's theres.

Other than that breaking into subarus is easy. They have frameless door sills so just pull the glass back and reach your hand in and unlock the door. Other than that subaru had a limited number of keys so if you have a bunch of subaru keys try them out and you might get lucky.

Oh, with the VIN number the dealer can cut you new keys!

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
title thing has to be done wile on THEIR property if its been left,

process takes about 30 days to obtain full ownership of the car

there is plenty of info on the internet, you need to check the process in your state, most states its simply called an abandoned vehicle title... go apply for one!

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
+1 for the abandoned vehicle title... follow the regulations for your state. work out a deal with the owners of the property that you will take the vehicle if the state allows you to title the vehicle in your name.

Chris

PS, i started this process for a car in PA and the owner showed up and took it. Sucked balls.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
+1 for the abandoned vehicle title... follow the regulations for your state. work out a deal with the owners of the property that you will take the vehicle if the state allows you to title the vehicle in your name.

Chris

PS, i started this process for a car in PA and the owner showed up and took it. Sucked balls.
Yes, do not ever hand over money until they or you have the title!

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
nice find, could be the "barn find" of the year. In indiana we have lein titles where if its been there so long the owner of the land can get a lein on the car cause its on their property and in essesence get the title. I would tell the guy you want the car but want to do it the legal way. May be a little work on his part, but just pay the extra couple hundred bones to make it legit. unless of course your trying to make a parts car out of it, then i would probably just haul the thing off.

The way that car is sitting there though makes me think of a theft for some reason. You might want to get the vin number and run a theft check with the police as well.

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
Thats a sweet find! Its like an easter egg! Hope it all goes well in getting it in your hands...

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
This is freakin' funny! Is it true? The old skool impreza has become a "barn find" car?
"Dude.. we opened up this old barn, it had a 66 mustang, a 56 Chevy, and get this! A 98 IMPREZA!! WooHoo!!" :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy Hell! I woke up this morning and was surprised at how many responses i had. Cool!

Well, i thought it was a cool find too and thought you all might get a kick out of it, but i seriously am interested in this car. Me and my girlfriend have been looking for anouther GC, but we want to fix one up i guess, or she is just looking for an easy find, and she sure hit the jackpot. This whole time i have been wondering if the owner of the property can even sell a car that he doesn't even own. So the right thing to do is get a title FIRST? In whos name? And then after a title is in hand then discuss buying the car? This truly does sound like alot of work, but i think it would be worth it. BTW, subie heads, can anyone make out a year?

btw, sry this thread is way off topic of forum placement now...

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
I am going to suggest that he should get the title since it is on his property and he might have to fill out a few forms (so he might lose patience or you might need to cough up a little extra money to keep him satisfied) then once its in his name it will be like a normal car sale transaction and once you have the title you can go to the stealership and get your keys cut and made for your ride :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point, the seller should get the title. But after that he might raise the price :(

patience is gunna be the determining factor....

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
yea thats something, but then again he is in the same boat, its abandoned, unknow condition, hell you could have a fucking possum family in that thing by now, no keys, and if its been there for that long i doubt the guy even cares about it and just wants it gone.

Just be professional with him/her. Tell him you did some research and found that it is possible to get the car, but for him to legally sell it he has to have the title and that means he he has to do a little of the dirty work (him filling out the paper work and YOU SUPPLYING IT otherwise i doubt he will do any more with it) Also mention that i dont think you can sell it without the title cause then it could be considered stolen property and you both could get in a heap of trouble him for selling you for buying something you know didnt have the title (the law does not forgive ignorance, trust me that much i do know). Once you lay that out for him im sure he would be willing to help you out cause he is gonna have to do it anyways to get rid of it. I doubt he will raise price just cause he has a title, hell there might not even be an engine in the motherfucker i mean you really dont know what it is so he shouldnt raise the price. Good luck man i hope it really works out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome, very good info. I think that when and if, we go see the car, ill tell him that he has to get the title. I really dont want any hassle with the law, over some $350 abandoned car.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BRP
215 Posts
"HIS VEHICLE IS NOT IN RUNNING CONDITION AND IS SOLD AS-IS. Call Mike...

P.S. It has not run in years and does not run. No, it does not run. Not running."

that cracked me up lol :)

you know it doesnt run right?!?!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts