Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I looked at a friend's vehicle tonight and I couldn't seem to find the coolant leak. They need to add coolant every few days or so.

The radiator and hoses are 100% dry, no staining, the cross over pipe is also not leaking, I also don't see any leaks from the thermostat or water pump area.

Where I did see coolant was right above the steering rack, quite a bit bu no active leaks. I checked the heater core and hoses, no leaks. I let it warm up to full operating temp with the fans working properly and still no sign of an active leak.

No white smoke out of the exhaust and the oil is clean, no milk.

I think they maybe it may be leaking when it is completely cold so I will have to check when it is cold but in the meantime is there anything else that I could be looking at?

The entire area under the radiator is clean, no stains, no wetness at all. Only see coolant hanging at the rack and dripping from below the rack.

Any ideas is appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
45 Posts
I can only think of a couple of things:
1. When was the coolant last changed? Could be the system was never properly burped of air and what you are seeing is low coolant due to the air being displaced out of the system
2. Maybe there is a head gasket leak that is allowing coolant to leak from the head but not leak into the engine
3. Did you check to make sure none of the coolant hoses are loose? Could be a very small leak where the hose looks dry but there is actually a small leak that would go unnoticed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, we found it, it is the head gasket. It is leaking out on the trans side. I usually see head gaskets fail and leak in to the engine but this one is on the outside where the head meets the block. Looks like this thing needs new head gaskets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts