Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza GF4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody my name is Johnny and I recently purchase a Subaru outback sport 1997. Now it's been 4 months of having my car and I want to start modding it and what not. My problem is that I don't know much about my car and what can go on it. As far as I know a v5 bumper is one thing that I should get for it. So here to ask you guys for assistance. If you guys may, help me out by telling me what can go on my car and should go on my car and if it's possible pictures would help me. Thanks all! I'll try to post up some picture of my car later today

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza GF4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I'm also new to this site and I'm having trouble navigating to post a picture. If anyone can help me on that, that would help thanks

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
pretty much anything from a 93-07 subaru engine/ drivetrain/interior wise can be bolted up/ made to work, and 93-01 exterior wise.

dig through some members journals and see what you like.

·
Registered
BRP RS & GF Rallyx Beater
32 Posts
Best way to get started is just to flip through all the different threads throughout the site. It doesn't have to just be in the wagons area because a good chunk of the stuff that applies to the 2.5 also applies to the 2.2 or 2.0 (very few differences for modification compatibilities). The great thing about Subarus is that they're like legos. Probably the 2 best places in this site IMO would be to flip through either the DIY section: DIY - How / To Installs - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
or the "show your wagon thread" to find what you like:http://www.rs25.com/forums/f24/t5033-show-your-wagon.html
Both of those places can basically lead you to wherever you need to go for information. Following other peoples' builds is a good place to learn what works and what doesn't as well, but it takes time to sort through it all.

I've only had my OBS for about 10 months and I already know it like the back of my hand, and have made major changes from the engine swap to the brake conversion. Just exploring this site has helped a lot with figuring out what I wanted to do with my OBS.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza GF4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys the advice is take. The problem being is that I heard that you can get 2.5 rs impreza parts from only the front half while the back half won't fit at all. So I don't know of its true but yea.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
567 Posts
Thanks a lot guys the advice is take. The problem being is that I heard that you can get 2.5 rs impreza parts from only the front half while the back half won't fit at all. So I don't know of its true but yea.
depends on what you mean, ones a sedan/coupe and the other is a wagon, should be self explanatory.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
Axles will fit. Bumpers will fit no matter the style Head lights, corner and side markers will all fit. For the RS bumper you will need the crash beam to make it fit. The L bumper is what you should have now. I have the RS rear brakes and they fit. If you go with RS twin pots in the front you would need 16'' rims to clear them. If you go twin pots at the rear same deal. Now if you go 4 pots in front than you 17'' rims or a 5-10mm spacer. The tail lights will not fit from a sedan or coupe you need wagon lights. Control arms fit, sway bar both front and back fit! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza GF4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Axles will fit. Bumpers will fit no matter the style Head lights, corner and side markers will all fit. For the RS bumper you will need the crash beam to make it fit. The L bumper is what you should have now. I have the RS rear brakes and they fit. If you go with RS twin pots in the front you would need 16'' rims to clear them. If you go twin pots at the rear same deal. Now if you go 4 pots in front than you 17'' rims or a 5-10mm spacer. The tail lights will not fit from a sedan or coupe you need wagon lights. Control arms fit, sway bar both front and back fit! Hope this helps.
Yea this helps a lot but whats "pots"?

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
Pots are just another way of saying brake pistons. If you look at you brake calipers you will see that it only has one piston or '' pot " Now if the previous owner changed them you can have twin pots already. I'm not 100% sure but I think the 98 wagons started coming out with twins pots

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just swapped 04 FXT 2 pot front calipers (same as WRX) with new rotors onto my 97 and it works a lot better. The calipers are definitely an improvement over the stock OBS ones, and the slightly larger rotor and MUCH better selection of pads helps too. The best part is, they are a direct bolt on and not as expensive as 4/2 pots. Plus, as mentioned, you can go with 16s instead of 17s, but I've already got 17s on the OBS.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza GF4
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just swapped 04 FXT 2 pot front calipers (same as WRX) with new rotors onto my 97 and it works a lot better. The calipers are definitely an improvement over the stock OBS ones, and the slightly larger rotor and MUCH better selection of pads helps too. The best part is, they are a direct bolt on and not as expensive as 4/2 pots. Plus, as mentioned, you can go with 16s instead of 17s, but I've already got 17s on the OBS.
Got a picture? I wanna see how it looks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll snap a pic of the brakes tonight, but not sure if the difference is totally obvious looking at it because it still looks stock basically.

·
Registered
bagged gf8
147 Posts
I did 2002 wrx front and rear calipers on my obs. Converted the rears off of drums to disc. Everything bolted right up if you can find the entire knuckle for the rear used.

cheap mod(depending on where u find the parts) with great results

1 - 20 of 27 Posts